PDA

View Full Version : Another Teapot

Raymond Overman
07-30-2008, 10:38 PM
This one is cherry with spanish cedar top and leaves. The cedar is finished and buffed with black wax and takes on a copper color when in the right light. The cherry was textured and buffed as well. I call it "Orange You Glad I Said Tea"

Tell me what you think? Any criticism, ideas, or thoughts are appreciated.

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Wow Raymond that is beautiful. One of these days. Well done.

Bill Bolen
07-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Ray, that is your best teapot yet. The texturing and the finish really add something special. Haven't seen your post's in awhile! welcome back...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
07-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Raymond - I have to agree with William - this is your best teapot yet! Great form on the pot, love the copper effect for the leaves and the texturing of the pot gives it a little orange peel effect. Great combination of fantasy, textures and color! Hope to see some more of your turnings real soon! Always a treat!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-30-2008, 11:11 PM
My man Raymond!

Of the teapots you've turned, this is the one that really stands out in my eyes and mind!

That is a work of art!

Beautifully done Raymond!

Dewey Torres
07-31-2008, 1:20 AM
Very nicely done!

Jim Becker
07-31-2008, 6:05 AM
I so love the varieties of tea pots that folks turn and carve...and this one is just great!

Bob Hallowell
07-31-2008, 7:59 AM
Raymond I have to go with the others and say it's great. It's hard for me to tell what was turned and what was carved.

Bob

Raymond Overman
07-31-2008, 8:28 AM
It's hard for me to tell what was turned and what was carved.

Thanks Bob. To give you an idea on the process, I turned the piece on three axis. It started as a rectangular shape a little less than three time it's height. I turned the sides of the teapot first across the grain so I had a little over an inch of the rectangle material left in the middle between two semi-spherical shapes on both sides.

I then reoriented to long grain (spindle) orientation and refined the bottom of the teapot and the curve of the spout and handle bottom. Then I reoriented again to cross grain along the third axis and turned a tenon on the bottom while further refining the shape of the bottom. You've got to be careful at this point since you can take material out of the handle.

I then put the tenon in my chuck and hollowed it. Since there are still inconsistencies in the outside from the different orientations the piece isn't exceptionally thin. I would say the walls are probably 3/8 in most places.

After the turning was done, I used a combination of an air body saw, a foredom carver, and a modified needle scaler to cut, carve and texture the piece. Finished with wax and buffed. Ta da!

robert hainstock
07-31-2008, 9:01 AM
It looks SO realy teapotty. I cannot imagine anybody who would critisize wall thickness. :):):)
Bob

Jason Whelehon
07-31-2008, 9:22 AM
OK, I need to know HOW you do this!

Pics or better yet, VIDEO!

I've been wondering why, with so many of us being expert woodworkers (ok, not me, just you guys) why we don't have more videos and instructional stuff on here.

Raymond Overman
07-31-2008, 9:50 AM

I've been wondering why, with so many of us being expert woodworkers (ok, not me, just you guys) why we don't have more videos and instructional stuff on here.

I'm doing a demonstration on the technique this coming Tuesday at 6:30 PM for the Waxhaw Woodturners Club in Waxhaw, NC. Feel free to join us!

I'm going to try to get a video on the process. The problem is that I'm the videographer for our club so getting footage that I like and can edit is a little hairy sometimes.

I have some instructional videos on my personal website.

Gary Max
07-31-2008, 9:53 AM
Raymond ---The first thought that comes to mind is "Awesome"
That is just way to cool.

Thom Sturgill
07-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Raymond - that's simply too awesome, and way too scary to try to imagine doing without seeing it done! Great job.

Mike Vickery
07-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Beautiful piece, I love the texture of it.

Raymond Overman
09-12-2008, 1:52 PM

Not to bring up an old subject but since Jason asked for it... here it is... a video:

http://www.nakedwoodturner.com/?p=100

Sorry for those still on dialup or low bandwidth lines. This will probably cause your modem to scream in agony.

curtis rosche
09-12-2008, 4:54 PM
very cool loking texture, awsome peice

Walt Nollan
09-12-2008, 5:45 PM
That is classy! I like it!

Walt

Steve Schlumpf
09-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Raymond, thanks for posting the video! Looks like quite the setup at the turning club! I enjoyed you taking everyone through the various steps to create the Teapot. I give you credit for figuring all that out! Also give you credit on your presentation skills - good sequence, clear instructions and good audience contact! I can see you making DVDs sometime in the near future!

Christopher Fletcher
09-14-2008, 5:32 PM
Raymond,
Thanks for the how-to! Very informative. One question I have is, Can the teapot be used as a teapot? Not in a kettle form, but in a brewing form. LOML suggested to pour liquid ceramic inside the form and let it harden. It would act as an insulator and a sealant. Any thoughts?

Dick Strauss
09-14-2008, 6:18 PM
Raymond,
You've outdone yourself with this one!:cool::D

Chris,
The wood moves too much in relation to liquid ceramic. You might be able to seal the inside by swirling some epoxy around.

Bill Wyko
09-15-2008, 3:04 AM
Raymond, I've watched your work expand the horizons for over a year now and all I can say is you skills have grown expediently. Thanks so much for sharing your method.

Raymond Overman
09-15-2008, 10:19 AM
First off, thanks for the comments on the video guys. I appreciate the feed back.

Raymond,
Thanks for the how-to! Very informative. One question I have is, Can the teapot be used as a teapot? Not in a kettle form, but in a brewing form. LOML suggested to pour liquid ceramic inside the form and let it harden. It would act as an insulator and a sealant. Any thoughts?

Christopher,

I consider these teapots to be art and haven't thought about making them to hold water. I don't know that I would even consider making them functional since it seems I would just be asking for trouble. Inevitably someone would splash the outside of the teapot causing problems with the finish and possibly causing the wood to crack. Also the idea of putting a heated liquid in there and rapidly changing the temperature of the wood seems like it would cause problems too. Thanks for the interest though.