PDA

View Full Version : Spraying lacquer

Charles Wilson
07-30-2008, 8:28 PM
I am going to refurbish some old brass hardware. I am looking to put a spray coat of lacquer to make the finish last a little longer. I'd like to spray it on with out getting a whole spraying cup that would be attached to a compressor.

Here are the questions:

1) Does lacquer come in an aerosol/pump sprayer?

2) Is there a do-dad that I can fill with compressed air and fill with lacquer
to spray it?

Not exactly what I am looking for but a similar apparatus in the link:

http://www.misto.com/

Thanks,
Chuck

jerry nazard
07-30-2008, 8:51 PM
Charles,

A good music store should sell spray cans of touch-up lacquer for brass instruments. I'm really not sure what makes it special for brass. Seems to me any old clear gloss spray lacquer would work. Make sure you clean/degrease the brass before spraying.

-Jerry

fred marcuson
07-30-2008, 9:02 PM
ok , after being in the musical instrument repair business for 15 years ; the one thing i can tell you is this : spray can lacquer does not hold up on brass !!
almost all instruments have a 'baked on' epoxy finish on the nowadays . the older instruments had a 'baked on' lacquer finish .
after trying everything to do 'touch-up' on finishes , and having nothing last ; the conclusion i came to was " if you want it done right , and have it last ; send it out to someone who refinishes brass instruments" . it won't be cheap but it will look like new and last like new . it needs to be stripped to bare metal , polished , de-greased , then finished .

fred

Jim Becker
07-31-2008, 6:01 AM
Deft is available in spray bombs and works just fine for this application. Do spray it outside, however...you do NOT want lacquer fumes in your home or even the shop unless you have proper ventilation (and safety gear) rated for very flamable products.

Ed Peters
07-31-2008, 6:06 AM
Preval makes an inexpensive spraying aparatus just right for this application. It is simply a can of pressurized gas thagt screws onto a glass jar that you fill with the material you would like to spray. Fill the jar, screw on the disposable pressure unit, push the button and spray. Very handy for touchup work in the field also.

Ed

james mcgrew
07-31-2008, 7:05 AM
finishing is 30% of our business and commercial grade laquers are all we use. the new minwax spray laquer or the deft are a best choice, the brass must and i repeat must be free of all polishing materials or separation of material is certain, after cleaning consider a denatured alcohol wipe before spraying.

i must say i am no fan of mineral based minwax but the laquer has proven it self well to us

Charles Wilson
08-03-2008, 9:14 PM
James,

Nice work.

You answered my question. I was at the BORG today and saw a Minwax aerosol spray lacquer. Works pretty well?

Chuck