PDA

View Full Version : First totally finished Hollowform

Jim Underwood
07-30-2008, 7:13 PM
Here's a slightly burled piece of cherry I was given a couple years ago. When I first turned it to a cylinder, I couldn't figure out how to best show off the little burl it had. I didn't really think that a bowl shape would do it... So I set it aside 'til last weekend. I had just bought Phil Iron's "Two books in One" Woodturning book, and saw just the thing on the front cover...

A natural edge opening hollow form. Yes!:)

I managed to keep all the bark on this thing while turning. It was when I was trying to sand the inside that I knocked the bark off.:o

Now you'll have to figure out where the bark stops and the black marker begins...

Natural Edge Cherry Burl HollowForm
4" tall x 5" wide x ~1/4" thick
Wipe on Poly finish

Bill Bolen
07-30-2008, 7:21 PM
Congrats on a mighty pretty "first"! I hope my next looks half as nice as this one. ...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
07-30-2008, 8:11 PM
Jim - that is an absolutely gorgeous cherry burl hollow form! Seriously - I love it! Great form, beautiful wood and finish! You should be proud of this one! Hard to believe this is your first - can't wait to see your next one!

Seriously - that is an outstanding piece!

Gary Max
07-30-2008, 8:53 PM
First thought that came to mind-------I could sell that.
Looks great from over here.

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Jim that is a real beauty. The wood is really beautiful. Well done.

Raymond Overman
07-30-2008, 10:54 PM
I love some cherry burl and then add a natural edge on top of that. It doesn't get much better. Good job on the edge and keeping it together.

Neal Addy
07-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Exquisite! Perfect form and use of material. The shape has a natural organic feel to it.

If this is only your first I can't wait to see where you go from here. Congrats!