PDA

View Full Version : Veneer on Auto Dash?

Tommy Emmons
07-30-2008, 5:28 PM
I know the car companies put wood dashboards and inserts on some cars. Has anyone ever tried to put veneer on a metal dash themselves? Is this possible and are there any paticular pitfalls that need to be avoided? I would like to put a wood veneer on the dash of an old pickup that is being restored. Thanks in advance. Tommy

eric auer
07-30-2008, 6:07 PM
Im thinking Heat and Cold would be a big issue, considering how extreme they get inside a car/truck.

Scott Schwake
07-30-2008, 6:25 PM
Sounds like a good question for Click & Clack at Car Talk:)

Paul Downes
07-30-2008, 6:44 PM
I am not sure what process Cadillac uses, but their current vehicals primarily use Sapele, which is African Mahogany. The veneer layer is quite thin and encapsulated in a thick layer of (I think) acrylic resin. I am sure they are useing some kind of vacuum bagging system to glue the veneer to the plastic substrate. It could be a vacuum mold system with the veneer applied wet?? there are some corners on the dashboard pieces that have 75-80 degree bends in them. I am sure the wood is stained afterward and who knows what else (sanding sealer?) before the finish is applied. I could get some basic measurements off a sample I have in case you are interested.