PDA

View Full Version : Phenolic Router Mounting Plates

Charles Wilson
07-30-2008, 4:40 PM
Looking at an inexpensive option until I can upgrade to a larger router. I will be using a Bosch 1617.

Any thoughts?

Chuck

scott spencer
07-30-2008, 6:31 PM
I've got two phenolics from Hartville that I''ve been happy with. One holds a big MW5625 with no sagging, and the other holds a Freud FT1700.

Charles Wilson
07-30-2008, 6:56 PM
Thanks Scott.

Chuck

Gene Michael
07-30-2008, 11:25 PM
I bought the Hartville plate too. Use a PC890 router. Sagging hasn't been a problem, but the leveling screws have. They won't hold an adjustment. Period! When I called Hartville tools and asked for tech support, the first fellow told me this was normal and to adjust them every few minutes. They don't hold an adjustment for even that short time. The second time I called, the tech support staff wasn't available. Several days later, they still weren't, so I asked for customer service. That gentleman told me one of their two tech men had quit and the other had left the building and it wasn't known when he was coming back. The CS guy offered his help. When I told him the problem, he said to put masking tape in the holes, then screw the levelers back in. These are very fine threads and there is no room for tape. Next, he said to use locktite. This would render the screws useless, because to break then loose would require so much force that the grooves in the plastic insert that hold the levelers would tear out. When I explained that I needed a better solution because I was ruining pieces of wood, he told me that experienced woodworkers with any sense wouldn't keep trying to use something that wasn't working correctly. So... I knocked the levelers out and used layers of masking tape as shims. I strongly recommend spending a few more dollars and getting an insert that won't drive you crazy. I've heard many compliments on the Woodpecker products an intend to purchase one in the near future. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mike Langford
07-31-2008, 12:31 AM
I would highly recommend the Woodpecker phenolic inserts!

I have two....one with a PC 690 mounted and the other with a 3HP Ryobi mounted with NO sagging or loose screws!

Wayne Cannon
07-31-2008, 4:42 PM
I recommend Woodhaven for router plates (and other jigs, supplies and accessories). I especially prefer their o-ring snap-in insert design over the twist-lock design -- flush positive detent every time, yet easy to remove without tools. I've never had to re-adjust Woodhaven's levelers after the initial setting.

[I have no interest in Woodhaven other than as a very satisfied customer. They are a small company with great customer support. Some of their jigs look a little home-spun (e.g., phenolic instead of aluminum), but after using them, I've learned that they have paid more attention to details, precision, and actual usage than most larger manufacturers.]

http://woodhaven.com/Category.asp?Id=182
(for better descriptions and photos, look at the catalog and instructions pages under the "download" tab of individual products)

Mikail Khan
07-31-2008, 8:05 PM
I have a 1617 in a phenolic base from MLCS woodworking. It currently sells for $35 with free shipping and works OK. I plan to upgrade to a bigger router and an aluminium plate in a few weeks.

Rockler currently has aluminium plates for the 1617 on sale for $40.

Mikail

scott spencer
07-31-2008, 8:35 PM
I bought the Hartville plate too. Use a PC890 router. Sagging hasn't been a problem, but the leveling screws have.

Hi Gene - I've had no holding issues with the leveling screws on either plate. Been using them for a couple of years now.