PDA

View Full Version : Clear glue for printed paper backing on acrylic

Allan Wright
07-30-2008, 3:35 PM
I would like to print some detailed graphics onto paper (or cardstock) and adhere it to the back of some 1/8" acrylic and then laser tokens out of the paper/cardstock such that the printed paper is visible through the acrylic. What would be a good adhesive to use that will be easy to apply (aerosol can or airbrush are both acceptable), dry clear, and not 'muddy' the graphics on the paper?

Has anyone done this before? Any additional tips? The tokens I'm making will be approximately 3/4" in diameter.

Mike Null
07-30-2008, 5:28 PM
Perhaps not a great answer but how about using 1/16" glue the paper face up on the acrylic and use a doming material to protect the printed area.

Angus Hines
07-30-2008, 5:55 PM
*perks ears* Doming material ???

Mike Null
07-30-2008, 6:05 PM
Doming material is a two part epoxy or one part polyurethane. It is applied as the last step in the process. I believe there are threads in the archives.

You can check out this site for more.

http://www.dometag.com/sitePages/index.asp?section=7&page=24

sal shepherd
07-30-2008, 6:12 PM
Allen,
There is a plastic film you can print on. It is normaly used for crystal. you use a inkjet printer with normal ink. Now there is a special "uv" glue.
But not sure if glue is plexi-glass Proof. I am trying soon but I am weighing out sub. to screen printer an then laminating. For this project look up PHOTO CRYSTALS

or PM ME

martin g. boekers
07-30-2008, 7:00 PM
Allen,
I have worked for years in the tradeshow graphics industry and we mounted photo prints as well as tranparency to plexi, or lexan all the time. We used a double sided adhesive tape to bond them together. Typically these were sandwiched together through a roller laminator. On smaller pieces, through I have done it by hand with good results.

2 companies that produce this material are Coda, and Mac Tac. I never lasered them so I'm not sure if that will work or not. You might have to print on a plastic or mylar base so you won't scorch the paper.

Another thing you might want to check if you have any commercial photo finishers in your area. They could handle that portion for you and it might turn into an effective sales call at the same time. Show them the "Burn"!

Marty

Doug Bergstrom
07-30-2008, 7:08 PM
You are looking for facemount or viewbond. it comes in rolls and is first applied to the acrylic and then the print is applied to the adhesive. You need a roll laminator to do this properly. I am not sure you could get enough pressure hand mounting these. We make them all the time. PM if you need help locating material or need to have them done.

Joe Pelonio
07-30-2008, 7:16 PM
An easier way to do this, is to have someone with a large format printer that does white ink print it (mirrored) onto clear adhesive poly film. Have them also print registration marks for the size of your acrylic, so that you can mount it onto the acrylic exactly in place to cut the acrylic circles.

If you cannot find a printing source with white ink, you can just print the colors and then after application to the acrylic, add a white polyester film
to the bottom before cutting.

AL Ursich
07-30-2008, 7:43 PM
*perks ears* Doming material ???

I am having fun with it doing Fire Department Accountability Tags.

AL

Jack Harper
07-30-2008, 7:57 PM
An easier way to do this, is to have someone with a large format printer that does white ink print it (mirrored) onto clear adhesive poly film. Have them also print registration marks for the size of your acrylic, so that you can mount it onto the acrylic exactly in place to cut the acrylic circles.

If you cannot find a printing source with white ink, you can just print the colors and then after application to the acrylic, add a white polyester film
to the bottom before cutting.

Joe,

If you go that far, you could just find someone with a flatbed UV printer (with white ink) and have them print right onto the acrylic. All that would be left is to cut them out. Some flatbed UV printers can print up to 3" thick and over 100" wide.

Albert Nix
07-30-2008, 8:46 PM
Al where did you find the latches that you are using on your accountability tags. I have been looking for a source.

AL Ursich
07-30-2008, 8:59 PM
AL,

Here is the best prices I have found on the clips.

http://www.ballchain.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BCM&Product_Code=BCM8NP

Good Luck,

AL

Send me a picture of what style you make.

I will update my web site as I make more products.

www.poconodigitalwoodshop.com (http://www.poconodigitalwoodshop.com)

Allan Wright
07-31-2008, 8:48 AM
Thanks for all the fast replies guys. The photo crystals method looks like it's the closest to what I want to do. I tried a Sawmill search and a google search on 'photo crystals' but only found retailers making products with the method, not a supplier of the materials.

Albert Nix
07-31-2008, 9:07 AM
You have a nice accountablity system. I belong to a small local volunteer
department. We use simple tags with our name and number on them and a board system to keep up with them during an incident. Since I have a laser now I will start making the replacement ones.
Al

Angus Hines
07-31-2008, 9:14 AM
Where do you get your doming material?

I am having fun with it doing Fire Department Accountability Tags.

AL

Gary Shoemake
07-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Try David Takes at the Engravers source 816-232-6000 and ask about the crystal to crystal glue. I have used the crystal to crystal glue to attach acrylic together. What is so nice about it is you don't get nearly as many bubbles as with Weld on, and any excess wipes right off. You can use a black light to help it cure.

Craig Hogarth
07-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the fast replies guys. The photo crystals method looks like it's the closest to what I want to do. I tried a Sawmill search and a google search on 'photo crystals' but only found retailers making products with the method, not a supplier of the materials.

I bought my photocrystal setup from photomugs.com. I don't remember the exact pricing, but the transfer film is about $1/per 8.5x11 sheet and the glues are about $40 to $50 each. I've been meaning to try it on acrylic, but haven't gotten around to it.