PDA

View Full Version : Sealing Marble

Sylvia Mossbrucker
07-30-2008, 2:53 PM
I need EVERYONE, who seals marble to let me know what they are using!!!! Im using Dupont advanced stone and tile sealer for all my natural stone. (marble,granite, etc.) Works fine for everything except marble. The first time I used it, I used it just as I had used it for the rest of the material and it actually ruined the mural. I assumed it was too much sealer applied because all the white parts are still wet or at least look that way and its been about 3 weeks. So I have decreased the time I leave it on to the minimum of 15 minutes and also decreased the amount to nearly just a swipe across one time and then I go over it to remove ANY and ALL excess, however this too makes the sealer turn to dust and creates traces on the whiter areas. SO!! If you would, PLEASE let me know what product you are using so I can give some a try. Any advise or similar experiences would be appreciated as well. Thanks HEAPS AND BUNCHES All!!!

Lisa Walter
07-30-2008, 6:01 PM
I am also interested in what people are using to seal marble and granite. I have a few requests for memorial stones for animals (and people) and I am not quite sure what to tell them to use to seal it. I thought about sealing it myself and charging a little extra but I am not sure what I want to do yet.......

Thanks

Lisa

Jack Harper
07-30-2008, 6:02 PM
Sylvia,

There are too many types of sealer to count. Your best bet is to call on your local stone tool supply company. This should not be confused with a stone supply company as they too will have some sealers but almost no real knowledge as to the one product they might sell. I use Hard Rock Tool but you could also try GranQuartz but there are many many more. If you build a relationship they will guide you through what products to use for what and how best to work with them. We use over 5 sealers, all based on the job and look we are looking for including whether we want a topical or penetrating type seal. The last piece of advice I can give you is to NEVER NEVER work with any sealer without a "correctly rated" breathing mask. This especially holds true after the sealer has dried and you go to buff the stone, the dust is very dangerous. Hope all this helps. Oh, and BORG sealers are generally useless, hence their cheap price.

Belinda Barfield
07-31-2008, 9:25 AM
I agree with Jack. The most important thing is to make sure you are not using a wax based sealer. Regardless of the sealer you use, marble will not withstand the elements. Sealers are used predominantly to prevent penetration of liquids into the stone. Other than that, they really don't do anything. Color enhacing sealers are frequently used for slate and limestone, but they are wax based.

Out of curiosity, why do those of you who seal your granite and marble do so?

Jack Harper
07-31-2008, 10:25 AM
I agree with Jack. The most important thing is to make sure you are not using a wax based sealer. Regardless of the sealer you use, marble will not withstand the elements. Sealers are used predominantly to prevent penetration of liquids into the stone. Other than that, they really don't do anything. Color enhacing sealers are frequently used for slate and limestone, but they are wax based.

Out of curiosity, why do those of you who seal your granite and marble do so?

Belinda, Thanks for the agreement. I knew if I lived long enough someone would eventually agree with me on something(lol). I specialize in large scale monuments and murals that are often installed outside. So as you can imagine the pieces are exposed to numerous elements including the ever so dreaded tagger. We have found, if the stone was properly sealed, the paint will come off a lot easier. Also if we get a piece of black stone from a client that is a fake black, as in dyed over natural, we find certain sealers will help minimize their mistake.

Belinda Barfield
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the reply Jack. Makes perfect sense to me. Even though I have a lot of black granite sitting around my stone yard, I don't do a lot of work with it. I hadn't thought of the paint issue (learn something new every day). I'm very familiar with dyed stone and you're absolutely right that some sealers do help minimize the fading by sealing in the dye.

Bill Cunningham
07-31-2008, 10:04 PM
I have had good luck with the polymer sealer from H.D. It's in a yellow plastic jug.. Don't know if it's the same stuff sold in the U.S. but the the sealer I buy in Canada works fine.. If a customer wants marble for outside, I usually try to talk them out of it, and use a good abs. black granite.. Marble is damaged by acid rain, and granite is best for outside, and marble in good for inside..