PDA

View Full Version : Got a little done today

Dick Parr
04-27-2004, 6:00 PM
I had been wanting to make some of these game calls for awhile now and when I saw Sparky’s calls the other day I decided to order some. My physical therapist is a duck hunter and since he has been helping me with my pain management I thought I would make him a couple of calls.

I have never used or even picked up a game call before so this was all new to me. All of my hunting was done on the ground and the only thing I looked up for was big cats in trees. For any others out there that don't know one end of a game call from the other, if you turn it, put the kit together and it doesn’t make a sound when you blow in it, turn it around before you call the supplier to ask what is wrong with the reed…….DAH :o Since one end is 31/64” and the other is ¾” I assumed you blew into the small end. Wrong. :confused:

Anyway they came out OK for the first time. I guess they sound ok, I’ll find out when I give them to him on Thursday. One is Bocote and the other is Purplehart. I wanted to make the second one out of Cocobolo but the supplier was out of the 1-1/2x1-1/2-12” stock so I used the Purplehart.

Thanks for looking

Glenn Hodges
04-30-2004, 7:27 AM
Hey Dick, great looking calls. I would stay away from cocabola for game calls so many people are alergic to the stuff. It makes their lips swell and other problems. Just my 2 cents.

Jason Roehl
04-30-2004, 9:11 AM
Those look great, Dick! I especially like the Bocote--I'd have to say that's one of my favorite woods.

Dick Parr
04-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Glenn I hadn’t heard about the cocobolo affecting people that way :eek: . I will keep that in mind for the future. Since I already have the one ordered maybe I’ll make it a display piece. From now on I will be making my own blanks since it is so easy to do. I just wanted to see how they did it with the first ones :confused: .

Jason I like the bocote also, it is easy to turn and looks good when you’re done. :p

Wolf Kiessling
04-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Just beautiful, Dick. Even if the calls don't work as intended, it doesn't really matter too much. They look so good they make a wonderful "decoration".

Doug Littlejohn
04-30-2004, 4:42 PM
Dick - You made a passing reference to your phys therapist helping you with your pain managment. I'm not trying to be nosey, but I too suffer from constant pain, in my case for the last 25 years. I have been down quite a few roads in getting things managed where I actually have some good quality of life now.

What I'm saying is that if you want someone who may be in a similar position to talk to, I'm open (PM me). The way I look at it is that with all that I have gone through, if I can help out in even some small way, I will have helped spare them of maybe some of their pain. THere is a whole lot of info out there and most of it is not true or accurate.

BTW- the calls look great. I also love the exotics but am with the others. Coco is really nasty stuff, when I work it I get a nasty rash if I'm not real careful.