PDA

View Full Version : Help with tuning a Dewalt 20" scrollsaw

mreza Salav
07-30-2008, 1:57 PM
I picked up a used DW788 scroll saw recently which appears to be fairly new and in very good shape. One thing I noticed is that at higher blade tensions and higher speeds the saw makes a relatively loud noise (with each stroke). Otherwise, it runs very quietly without any vibration. What is causing this noise in high tensions and high speed combination? Is this normal or is there something I should adjust/tune? Thanks.

Dewey Torres
07-30-2008, 2:08 PM
It should not be making noise. Something is wrong. The saw does naturally vibrate more at high speeds but I never noticed a noise per stroke with mine. How do you have it bolted down (curiosity)?

mreza Salav
07-30-2008, 3:30 PM
It should not be making noise. Something is wrong. The saw does naturally vibrate more at high speeds but I never noticed a noise per stroke with mine. How do you have it bolted down (curiosity)?

Perhaps I shouldn't say vibration. It's just a loud noise out of the arm (with each stroke). I have bolted it down to its table (which is the standard table the comes with it). Should I open up the arm and look for something? what could be wrong?
I hope I didn't pick up a lemon.

Dewey Torres
07-30-2008, 4:18 PM
I couldn't find a service center in Canada but here is the customer service number:

1-800-4-DEWALT

Steve Mellott
07-30-2008, 5:52 PM
You may want to check this website. On this web site, Rick Hutcheson has all kinds of information about maintaining and repairing different scroll saws. You can also contact him through the web site.

http://www.scrollsaws.com/