PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt MBC RAS arbor runout

zach barnhart
07-30-2008, 1:01 PM
I got an old Dewalt MBC radial arm saw on CL a few weeks ago and have been getting ready to build the Mr. Sawdust table and get it dialled in. Last night I was doing some basic alignments and noticed a tiny bit of arbor runout (actually at the arbor, not just the blade). I don't have a caliper (yet) but am fairly certain the runout is there, just don't know how much - any amount is too much for me. But I'm wondering if this is correctable? Is a replacement of the shaft a viable option, and if so, is there a good source for such a part?
There's also some bearing noise in the motor so I'm anticipating replacing those as well.

I love this old thing and plan on working on it but just wonder if this might be prohibitively expensive/difficult.

Thanks!

Mike Spanbauer
07-30-2008, 2:43 PM
I don't think you'd find trying to repair the arbor worth it. It might be that the bearings are actually the only item that is causing the issue and replacing those will eliminate it.

Otherwise, there are plenty of parts out there in the "wild" and I even have one I'm parting out if you get to the point you need a different unit.

g'luck

mike

zach barnhart
07-30-2008, 7:17 PM
I don't think you'd find trying to repair the arbor worth it. It might be that the bearings are actually the only item that is causing the issue and replacing those will eliminate it.

Otherwise, there are plenty of parts out there in the "wild" and I even have one I'm parting out if you get to the point you need a different unit.

g'luck

mike

Thanks a lot, Mike! I was hoping that the bearings might be the culprit. Do I need a press to remove the bearings, you think?