PDA

View Full Version : Driveway Gate

Derek Tuchscherer
07-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone,

My wife runs a daycare in our home and in an effort to keep the kids safe and sound in our backyard I need some sort of gate to span across our driveway from the fence to the house as we live on a fairly busy street. The span that I have to gate is 10 feet and would idaelly like this to be a single 10' gate rather than 2 - 5' gates. I have prices out a chainlink gate from local company $600 installed, but chainlink, while functional and low maintenance is well, UGLY. Have any of you built a gate this large? If so what type of materials/construction methods shouild be used A what are the pitfalls I should be watching out for? Is there any particular hardware you would recommend?

Thank a million!

Derek

Glenn Clabo
07-30-2008, 2:27 PM
Derek,
If you really don't want to build a gate...Have you thought about something like this?
http://www.kidsafeinc.com/c=VGAgkdTNsLPKIfwcFY5S1Ktlt/product/4700/Retractable_Driveway_Guard_18_Wide.html

You just need to pull it out while the kids are there. Cheaper...not permanent ...less work.

Derek Tuchscherer
07-30-2008, 3:18 PM
Wow what a great resource this place is! Thanks alot Glenn, I am gonna show this to the wife and see what she thinks...you hit the nail rght on the head, cheaper, not permanent...and won't consume a ton of my valuable shop time!

Much appreciated!

Derek

Ken Fitzgerald
07-30-2008, 3:25 PM
Derek,

What about 2 5' wooden gates each hinged at the ouside edge.....each with a support wheel at the inside where they come together?

Use some of your valuable shop time.

Rod Sheridan
07-30-2008, 3:28 PM
I made a 10 foot single span steel gate for my brother in law out of 2 inch square steel tubing, and 1" angle pickets to match their fence.

Regards, Rod.

Lee Koepke
07-30-2008, 3:41 PM
I bought a cattle gate from a farm supply store. It was for my wood privacy fence, I used self-tapping screws to attach the pickets. So it would depend on your situation what would work best.

Derek Tuchscherer
07-30-2008, 3:50 PM
Hey Ken,

I had thought about that but the spot that I will be putting it just simply is not conducive to two seperate gates, I need it to only be one piece. As for the steel options, they are great options and would fit the bill but with no welding experience, (wish I had some) Rod's idea gets pricey to have someone do some custom welding....Hmmm I have a buddy who is a welder by trade, but very busy, might have to give him a call.

The premade gate suggested by Lee would likely work as well...I will have to see what's available locally.

Thanks guys, options are always good to have.

Derek

Mike Heidrick
07-30-2008, 4:11 PM
Glenn, that looks like a kid snow fence. LOL.

John Bush
07-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi Derek,
I have two 8' gates for our 16' driveway span made from welded frames for a conventional chain link gate. 2X4s are bolted to the upper and lower "pipes" and pickets are nailed to the 2X4s. Regular chain link hardware is used for the hinges and I have added automatic electric openers as well. I am sure you can find a premade gate from a fencing contractor, or as Lee suggested, find a cattle gate the size you need and attach the pickets with the top and bottom 2X4 rails. My pickets are ~ 1/2"s apart and the frame isn't noticable from the front. If you don't have the 10' swing, you can use sliding hardware for crossing closure instead of swing closure. You shouldbe able to find a simple solution. Let me know if you want pics. JCB.

Ted Jay
07-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Hi Derek,
I have two 8' gates for our 16' driveway span made from welded frames for a conventional chain link gate. 2X4s are bolted to the upper and lower "pipes" and pickets are nailed to the 2X4s. Regular chain link hardware is used for the hinges and I have added automatic electric openers as well. I am sure you can find a premade gate from a fencing contractor, or as Lee suggested, find a cattle gate the size you need and attach the pickets with the top and bottom 2X4 rails. My pickets are ~ 1/2"s apart and the frame isn't noticable from the front. If you don't have the 10' swing, you can use sliding hardware for crossing closure instead of swing closure. You shouldbe able to find a simple solution. Let me know if you want pics. JCB.

As John suggests, you can also add a wheel to help it slide/roll easier.

fRED mCnEILL
07-31-2008, 12:23 AM
We have a horse farm and have a number of farm gates. They range in size from 4 feet to 16 feet or so.We have two different kinds. One is made of 2 inch round steel tubing and is VERY strudy (but not heavy) The other kind is made with stamped metal and isn't near as rigid. Both are galvanized so they won't rust.

You could use the tubing type and bolt 2x4's to it so you can nail pickets or you could simply screw pickets directly to the steel tubing. You can buy self-drilling screws so you don't have to pre drill holes.

If you put in a substantial post the gate will hang from that with no problem or you could also put a wheel on the swinging end to take the weight.

I think this would be more estetically pleasing that the "snow fence" type.

Good luck

Fred

Glenn Clabo
07-31-2008, 6:38 AM
LOL...Their next ad ... Fences make good neighbors ...This fence with keep your kids from blowing into the neighbors yard.

Derek Tuchscherer
07-31-2008, 9:14 AM
Thanks again for all the options, I showed the wife the "snow fence" as it's become known and she doesn't think that is what she wants...I knew that would be way too easy! So I am going to check with the local place that sells some agricultural stuff to see what I can find. I think a steel gate with pickets attached is going to be the next best option.

Thanks
Derek