PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Hole Plugs anyone use?

Craig D Peltier
07-30-2008, 10:17 AM
I was wondering how pocket hole plugs seem to work. Seems as though thye may be more nivelty than function. Althought I havent used. I was looking for someone elses experience with them.
Do you hammer them in? Do they fit well? How do you make flush?
I recently used spackle to fill some and then spackle shrinks, so you end up doing it again an again. It was easy but long process to make a nice flush surface.

Glenn Clabo
07-30-2008, 10:30 AM
I've used them a bit. They fit tight and because I don't use pocket holes where they are really exposed...look good enough. I use a flexible saw and scrap to level them.

Ralph Okonieski
07-30-2008, 12:44 PM
I've used the plugs and was very happy with the results. Glue them in and they were tight. I cut with flexible saw as Glenn does but then samded smooth. I asked on the Neander site about smoothing uneven edges on a box. The answer given was to use an adjustable mouth, low angle block plane like a 60-1/2. I did not try this on the box since I do not have that plane but believe it should work for the plugs also.

I'm sure someone will correct me if the comment about the block plane is wrong.

Lee Schierer
07-30-2008, 3:50 PM
You can also stick a 3/8 dowel in the pocket hole and saw off the part that sticks out with a flush cutting saw once the glue dries. What I don't like about the purchased plugs or even the home made plugs is the grain doesn't match and the plugs really show up. If you use a plug cutter you can usually select the grain being used to plug screw holes into the face of a bord so they can't be seen. It is much harder to do that with the pocket hole plugs.

Ed Peters
07-30-2008, 8:13 PM
I use them but not right out of the box. I have a fixture that allows me to cut them down to the proper length prior to insertion so there is no work required to get them flush.

Ed

Gene Michael
07-30-2008, 11:11 PM
I've used them on several projects and they do show. The appearance is better than an exposed hole, but hindsight offered another option. If I'm using pocket hole screws on kitchen cabinets, I put them on the outside of the cabinet. When the cabinets are joined together, they don't show unless they're on the end. If they're on the end, I cover the end with 1/4 inch veneered plywood and hide the holes. On some projects, I have been able to hide them under trim. Hope this suggestion helps.:D

Jim Broestler
07-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Kreg makes a single hole pocket jig that just clamps directly on the board. It has a recess on the back side that's shaped to hook onto pocket hole plugs so you can push them in good and tight. That tool is also handy for putting a pocket hole in a piece that's already joined (like if you're using a pocket screw to shore up a joint), because there's no lip to hook over the edge of the board you're drilling into.

steve reeves
07-30-2008, 11:54 PM
The answer is to only use them when you can hide the holes... there's no way that I'm familiar with to make them "blend in" with whatever wood you're using. Unless you're painting the project then I'd avoid them execpt where they can be hidden.

I use them alot but you'd have to be a contortionist or have xray vision to ever find one.

Craig D Peltier
07-31-2008, 1:13 AM
Thanks I never intended to belnd. When im building a vanity for instance. If you look inside you see pocket holes. To fill them with a filler like spackle or another joint compound for paint grade when it drys it shrinks. I was looking for something for the inside of non painted and painted cabs. Sounds like it works.
Id like to see this Kreg jig as well.

Jim Becker
07-31-2008, 6:19 AM
Yes, I use them and they work just fine. Just glue and my hand to insert and then I sand them down after the glue is at least "mostly" cured. I use the purely to close up the space and there is no way to make them "invisible" anyway. In fact, I've used walnut plugs in cherry on a number of the doors (rail/stile) for the addition cabinetry. They are not seen unless the doors are opened and no big deal, IMHO.

Wayne Cannon
07-31-2008, 4:47 PM
I find them to be convenient, but not significantly more than just using an appropriate dowel, since you almost always have to trim them anyway.