PDA

View Full Version : Formica Counter-Help

Jerry Todd
04-27-2004, 4:27 PM
Just finished some birch cabinets for our church kitchen and getting ready to make the formica counter tops. What is the best plywood to use? One of the big box stores sells a 3/4 inch plywood they call SANDPLY.
It seems to be more porous than birch plywood. Will contact cement work with Sandply. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jerry

Chris Padilla
04-27-2004, 5:01 PM
I wonder if MDF would be a better choice? Edge-banded in some hardwood, I bet it proves quite durable.

JayStPeter
04-27-2004, 5:36 PM
I'd be tempted to buy countertops. They are pretty cost effective compared to purchasing the components.

Jay

James Carmichael
04-27-2004, 5:40 PM
I wonder if MDF would be a better choice? Edge-banded in some hardwood, I bet it proves quite durable.

MDF or particleboard.

Steve Clardy
04-27-2004, 6:11 PM
I use strawboard. It has a water proof glue in it, resisting water absorbtion, unlike mdf or particle board. I went through the plywood bit, but had problems with the laminate letting loose, due to the moisture content in plywood. Plywood absorbs and looses moisture like solid wood to a certain extent.
Steve, been there, done that.

Steve Knowlton
04-27-2004, 6:58 PM
I Would Use Particleboard That Is Built For Countertops. I Just Had My Office Done At Work. We Ripped 49"x97" Sheets To The Width We Wanted. I Have Built Many Countertops With This.

Jim Becker
04-27-2004, 6:59 PM
I'm with Steve and James...you want something very dense under the laminate. Particle board is what I've seen the most of, but MDF also qualifies. Water shouldn't be an issue if things are installed correctly, at least for the reasonable life of the countertops. IMHO, of course. But if you can find Medex (water-resistant MDF) or the strawboard that Steve mentions, so much the better.