PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft coming to town -- Ventura, CA

Tom Henderson2
07-30-2008, 12:17 AM
I was pleased to get a letter in the mail telling me that there will be a Woodcraft franchise store opening in my hometown of Ventura, CA in a October.

We need one -- the nearest Rockler or Woodcraft is almost 2 hours away. Too far for me to drive.

THe bad news is my wallet is feeling lighter already...

-TH

Gary Muto
07-30-2008, 11:24 AM
That's great news. I have a Rockler store less than 3 miles away and Woodcraft is about a 15 minute drive. I go often for Demos and information in general, and yes I do buy more as a result.

Rod Sheridan
07-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Tom, I sympathise with you, Lee Valley is on my route home.

Some days they are running that vehicle deflector magnet and my vehicle veers right into their parking lot.

Once in the store, resistance is futile and I stimulate the economy once again.

regards, Rod.

Ron Breton
07-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Tom, I sympathise with you, Lee Valley is on my route home.

Some days they are running that vehicle deflector magnet and my vehicle veers right into their parking lot.

Once in the store, resistance is futile and I stimulate the economy once again.

regards, Rod.

So that's what's been happening to me! :)

Don Bullock
07-30-2008, 7:37 PM
If that's the letter from the Woodcraft franchise owners asking if I'm interested in working for them I got one too. It will be fantastic having a woodworking store closer to me than Pasadena, but it will only be for a short time since I'm in the process of moving to our new home in northern San Diego County.

Jim Becker
07-31-2008, 6:23 AM
Brave soul opening a business right now with the way the economy is, but I'm glad you're getting the venue to shop at!

John Keeton
07-31-2008, 6:38 AM
Brave soul opening a business right now with the way the economy is, but I'm glad you're getting the venue to shop at!
Jim, you are so right!! Having just got out of retail in the nick of time after owning a business for over a decade, I have watched with interest the new Woodcraft that opened about 30 minutes from us. It is very well stocked. I have "guesstimated" his inventory, including a huge stock of exotics, at close to a million. That isn't counting the leasehold improvements, and the display cost which is enormous now with metal costs skyrocketing. And, of course the day to day - utilities, insurance, etc., etc.

The owner and I were talking about the low markup on power tools and the impact of the borgs - Festool being the exception, of course. He tries to keep minimal stock on hand - one or two of the various tools. But, even that runs into money quickly.

If this economy doesn't turn this next year, I am afraid times will be tough on him. I enjoy visiting the store and it is convenient for me. I certainly hope he makes it, and have tried to do my part! But, better him than me.

Don Bullock
07-31-2008, 11:21 AM

Fortunately this store is opening in an area that has absolutely no competition except for the BORGs. It should draw customers from a wide area that is highly populated.

Bill Keehn
07-31-2008, 4:39 PM
I've been thinking about opening one if we ever move to an area without one. Those places are potential goldmines if you are willing to look beyond just the retail revenue. Aside from training classes, in a place like that, there are good opportunities that walk through the door on a regular basis.

skip coyne
07-31-2008, 7:08 PM
HMM................the nearest one to me was a little over a hour away and so I went to the store finder to see if they where still open

put in my Zip and it spit one out almost within walking distance of me :eek:

turns out its "opening soon "

I gave the wife the bad news that shes going to have to work a little extra to support my buying :)

Terry Sparks
07-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Tom and Don,
I too recieved that letter and was excited to learn that we will finally have a true woodworking store in the area, it will come in handy quite often I'm sure. At this point, I can only hope they open fairly early in the morning, as I work a 24 hour shift and drive home through Ventura around 8:30 am. If they open at 10:00 or later, I guess I'm back to mail order or stuck making the 1 hour round trip to the store. :(

Frank Hagan
09-11-2008, 1:09 AM
I got excited the other day driving home from Lowes ... there on N. Main Street, in the old Big 5 Sporting Goods building was the sign for a Woodcraft Store "Coming Soon".

There used to be a Jr.'s Tools in Oxnard, where I bought my Jet tablesaw and Jet bandsaw along with quite a few hand tools. When they closed, there was a definite lack of woodworking tools in the area; even Home Depot stopped carrying what few planes and chisels they carried (they "tune" the inventory to the competition in town).

I sometimes make the trek out to the Rockler in Pasadena, and my wife has gotten used to visiting Rockler or Woodcraft stores when we're on vacation. So I'm pretty excited about the store opening here.

Alan Wong
09-11-2008, 2:57 AM
Thats awsome news to hear. My pops lives up there, good reason to visit more often =)

Ted Miller
09-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Thats awsome news to hear. My pops lives up there, good reason to visit more often =)

Alan, We got a Woodcraft in Stanton on Beach blvd and the 22 and the Rockler is in Orange off the 55 and Katella on Tustin Ave...

Alan Wong
09-11-2008, 8:40 PM
Ted, I've been to that one, really nice ppl. But its still a little drive fro me. This one will be more convenient since I go up that way often.

Hopefully they'll have some grand opening specials.

Jeffrey Makiel
09-11-2008, 9:18 PM
I'm jealous.

There are no Woodcrafts or Rocklers anywhere in New Jersey. When Woodworkers Warehouse stores (formerly Trendlines) went bankrupt 4 years ago, nobody ever filled the void.

I hope the new store near you makes out.

-Jeff :)

david kramer
09-11-2008, 11:56 PM
http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=580

Frank Hagan
10-05-2008, 11:52 PM
We noticed today that the store was stocked, and people were in it milling about. Come to find out those were workers making the final preparations.

The Woodcraft in Ventura opens Monday, October 6 at 9 AM. The store is well stocked with a SawStop right up front, some drool-inducing jointers, Powermatic and Jet equipment and other goodies that I can't remember. Someone came to the door and handed me a catalog and told me the opening date.

Don Bullock
10-06-2008, 8:15 AM
Wouldn't you know that I'll be in San Diego on Monday.:( Oh well, when you're retired like I am now I guess there's always Tuesday.;):D

Now that I'm moving to San Diego would someone please open a Woodcraft down there?:confused: