PDA

View Full Version : Cremains Urn

Tom Storey
07-29-2008, 11:21 PM
I've been asked to turn an urn to hold cremated remains. I Googled urns and although I saw many urns, only a few were turned.
The desired shape is similar to a tear-drop and the contents will be inserted through the bottom of the vessel which will then be plugged. The height should be about 12". I have a shape in my mind's eye, however, it would help if I could see a few pictures of some completed projects. Also, comments on circumference, type of wood and anything else I should consider are welcome.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi Tom
The urn has to be quite large Tom, the commonly used size is one cubic inch of urn for every pound of weight of the live person, so that's often in the 180 to 200 cubic inch size.
As it would be kind of embarrassing if not all the ashes would fit, bigger is better here IMO.
Yes a teardrop or Hersey's chocolate kiss like shape would certainly look fine IMO, and a black lacquered color would probably look good.
You could use a internal and external threaded piece of ABS or similar glued in so the bottom piece could be screwed in/on, just a thought.

Richard Madison
07-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Tom, Good thread on this subject on another forum, which seems off line at the moment. To summarize, an attractive form is most important, as most woods will fade to a nondescript brown in the fullness of time. There was a picture of a very nicely shaped piece by Bill Grumbine. Search and you will find.

robert hainstock
07-30-2008, 7:47 AM
I posted my compleated urn last November 25. If you like, I'll email you the Plans. Just PM me your email with a note as to why. :)
Bob

Ron Fleice
07-30-2008, 7:56 AM
Tom I turned an urn for an employee of mine about a year ago
the wood is catalpa and I did a search before I began...The top was
glued on after the remains were put in.
The first problem I had was finding a piece of wood big enough to get
the end result, a lot of the ones that I found online were segemented or
staved, it is approx 10 in tall and 5 or so inches at the widest point
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/Ronluc/CremationUrn2.jpg
Hope this helps some
Ron

Pete Jordan
07-30-2008, 8:17 AM
Mike Mahoney has a DVD that explains how to make one and examples.

http://www.bowlmakerinc.com/