PDA

View Full Version : Found out wife is expecting our first child need help

Michael Ballent
04-27-2004, 3:42 PM
and I only have 8 months to make the cradle, crib, and a changing table/dresser:eek:... Well I have located the plans for the cradle and crib, but have not located any plans for the changing dresser. What I am looking for is a 2 tier setup, where the baby would be changed on the lower tier and the other stuff would be on the higher tier. Below is the link to something like what I want to make.

http://store.yahoo.com/epop/shbimuch.html

Any one know where I can find plans for something like this... don't have much time, tick toc, tick toc, tick toc. :eek:

-Michael
Papa to be :D

Shawn Battagler
04-27-2004, 3:50 PM
Congrats! If you can make out the little avatar picture to the left, you can see my pride and joy.

Oh, and not intending to add any pressure, but you have less time than you think. About 1-2 months pre-delivery your wife is going to have an overwhelming urge to make sure everything is just right. :rolleyes:

Scott Coffelt
04-27-2004, 4:05 PM
I would suggest just going out and measuring some at Babies R Us. Then adapt the design you already have for for the crib.

I was going to build then decided that I wouldn't have enough time and bought a nice solid Maple set. Cost a bunch, but it was a type of bed that migrated to a day bed then full size bed. I am glad I did, becuase my son got two dressers and bed that will be used for a long long time. I didn't have to buy new furniture as he grew out of the crib and day bed.

Anyways, have fun and hoping for a safe and uneventful pregnancy for you and your wife. The way you look at life will change forever, in a great way. Best thing in the world is being a parent.... even when you have those 12,2, 4, 6 feedings. And yes, your kids will be just like those you see when you are int he store, at dinner, or whatever.... and yes, you will give in to keep them quiet or wish you could hide when they aren't listening to you. :D

Make sure to pick a kid friendly finish.

Chris Padilla
04-27-2004, 4:28 PM
Pottery Barn (for Kids). Go to one or check online and get a catalog. They have a lot of neat stuff.

Oh, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Lee Schierer
04-27-2004, 4:40 PM
Congratulations to both of you.

Here's one I made for my granddaughter. http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/drestab1.jpg

I have the drawings I made it from. They are not plans, but they are dimensioned and drawn to scale. Send me your email in a pm and I will send you a copy of the drawings. The original was in a store locally and I copied most of the critical dimensions. The one in the store was maple top with stained wood to look like cherry for the bottom. The store clerk even helped hold the tape. She was amazed that anyone could build one at home. My daughter wanted maple with cherry tops so we made it instead of buying one. I also made a crib to match.

Jim Becker
04-27-2004, 5:07 PM
Congratulations, Michael! 'Wonderful news about your growing family!

My suggestion would be to work from pictures of what you like, make a few sketches for the major dimensions and just measure other things directly off the piece as you build it. The joinery involved isn't complicated and you're a woodworker! Your friends here at SMC are also available 24/7 when you need suggestions or other commentary, too...lot's of talented folks.

Michael Ballent
04-27-2004, 5:11 PM
You are da man!!!! PM will be on it's way. This is the type of thing that makes SMC the place it is! A great community of people willing to help each other out.:D

-Michael

Peter Dufresne
04-27-2004, 5:29 PM
My wife is now 8 months along and I made a conscious decision not to make everything because I had so many other household projects to do.

Congratulations

John Miliunas
04-27-2004, 6:44 PM
Good grief! There something in the air, the stars???...what? Keeeeripes, sounds like a rebirth (pun intended) of another Baby BOOM!!! :eek: Congrats Michael and Peter and David and whomever else I may have missed! :D Sheeesh...I sure hope it ain't the water in the Creek or I'm in BIG trouble, as much time as I spend out here! I'm WAY too old for all of that! :eek: Anyhow, good luck with the projects, Michael and keep us posted...Pics ARE *mandatory*! :cool:

Jim Becker
04-27-2004, 6:57 PM
There something in the air, the stars???...what? :cool:
Practice makes perfect, John... :D

Dave Bartley
04-27-2004, 7:03 PM
Mike, congradulations on the new little one. www.justwoodworking.com and www.the3house.com both have free plans of the type you are looking for.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Congradulations Mike! Enjoy! One morning they are born and a short time later you wake up and they are adults! Good luck on the projects!

Ken

Dave Loebach
04-28-2004, 9:44 AM
Congratulations. When my first child was born I made a dressing table. Time and skill permitting, I'll send you a picture and dimensions by PM. This was 30 years ago and one of my first ww projects. It's so crude that I'd be embarassed to post a picture for general viewing. But the design is great. We've used it for 4 kids and my youngest (21) still uses it for his main br dresser and refuses to give it up. We even used to put a plastic bath tub on top and give baths on it. It is 8 feet long, about 24 inches deep, had 3 or 4 drawers (on sliding guides) in the middle and a cabinet with a door on each end. It is so useful. It provides plenty of room for diapers, powder, lotion, etc. plus the full wardrobe of clothes and some toys. I used fir pywood and painted it with epoxy paint. I used wood filler to cover the edges. The doors on the cabinet ends are just a flat peice of 3/4 inch plywood. Really crude. Now I'd use cherry or oak plywood, trim off the edges with wood trim, and use flat panel doors. I'd still use metal drawer gudes because the drawers are so easy to open and close. That is important when dealing with a baby since you don't want to have to use two hands to get to things.

Hope this is helpful.

Dan Mages
04-28-2004, 9:50 AM
Congratulations!!! Now, ummm..... who's the father?? ;) ;)

Dan

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Congratulations to all yunz guys.
Daniel :D

Charles McKinley
04-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Hi Michael,

Congratulations, get lots of sleep now. :) Kids are a lot of fun. We are waiting on #3 in August.

Advice: the books are wrong, rip wipes in half, enjoy your munchkin!
Have fun,