PDA

View Full Version : need some help finding a router edge guide

Bob Schlowsky
07-29-2008, 9:57 PM
I have a great old router that uses a Rockwell 5361 Router base. I am trying to find an edge guide that will fit it and haven't had any luck so far. The bars will need to be 5/16 dia and 4 3/8 inches center to center. If anyone knows where i might find one I would appreciate the help. I guess if I need to I can make one, but I would rather not.
thanksfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Artist/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

Dave Tinley
07-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Bob-
That looks very similar to a PC 690. Have you tried a edge guide for it ??

Bob Schlowsky
07-29-2008, 10:11 PM
I think that is one of the ones that Rockler had and the metal bars are 4 1/8 apart, but I'll try and measure one tomorrow.

Bruce Wrenn
07-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Looks like your base came of a PC 630. It was a 1.0 HP router, which became the 690 when HP was bumped up to 1.5 HP. You can make your own edge guide. I have built several trammels for one of mine, using smooth rod threaded on the ends and coupling nuts. One was over twenty feet long. It was used to create the nosing for a pulpit.

Charles Lent
07-30-2008, 11:15 AM
I know that you don't really want to make or modify an edge guide, so here are two possibilities that will require little or no modifications. Turncraft makes an edge guide that is attached to a baseplate with holes to adapt it to almost every router. Even if the holes aren't in the right place for the base of your router it would be easy to add a few and this one is easy to find as even Lowes carries this model.

The newer Porter Cable edge guide is a long extruded aluminum bar that is attached to an adapter plate with several holes allowing different rod spacings and rod diameters to fit different routers. Even if the holes aren't right for your router it would be easy to add some, or even make a new larger plate to fit a wider rod spacing if needed. The extruded bar with the coarse and fine adjustment for the edge guide works really smooth and locks well. This would make a great guide once adapted to fit your router and the one that I would personally prefer. Woodcraft and other Porter Cable outlets carry them.

Charley

Will Samler
07-30-2008, 2:11 PM
I have an edge guide manufactured by Rockwell; it’s called Rockwell Magic Guide 5043. I special ordered it when I bought my Rockwell Router, some 30 years ago. The Guide Rod Posts have three (3) different mounting holes available to enable the guide rods to line up with the mounting holes in the base of your Rockwell Router. I’m guessing they made this to fit all of the routers they manufactured at that time. According to the user’s guide it could be used as an edge guide, edge plane, radius guide, groove guide and circle guide. Quite frankly I may have used it once or twice (a long time ago) so I can’t testify to how well it functions. If you’re interested, I’d consider selling it. PM me with any questions.
Will

Bob Schlowsky
07-30-2008, 4:36 PM
sent you a PM
if I figured it out right ?

Lee Schierer
07-30-2008, 4:59 PM
Craftsman routers use two metal rods for attaching their edge guide. You might be able to order just the edge guide through the parts department if the hole spacing is right.