PDA

View Full Version : running corel on a mac?

mark lankton
07-29-2008, 8:26 PM
Has anyone had any luck running the PC version of corel (I think it's Corel 12) on a Mac (OS 10.4.11)? The PC laptop I'd normally use died and I'm faced with either replacing it or coming up with some way to run corel on my mac. Thanks in advance for your good ideas.

Mark

Pete Thomas
07-29-2008, 9:13 PM
I run both Corel 12 & 13 on MacBook Pro 17" using Parallels. When done I just shoot the file over the network to the PC running the laser.

-pete

Darren Null
07-30-2008, 2:36 AM
http://www.virtualbox.org/
FREE! WAHAY!

Cal Hultgren
07-31-2008, 4:09 PM
I run Corel X4 on my 17" MacBook Pro using Mac OS X 10.5.4. I have 4 GB of RAM. I have used Parallels and VMWare Fusion Beta 2.0. Works great in either environment. Works great in Bootcamp too. A helpful thing is to read up on the quick-keys equivalents with your Mac keyboard.

mark lankton
08-01-2008, 9:41 AM
Thanks for the tips. I downloaded VirtualBox but it runs on the intel version of the iMac, which of coarse mine isn't. I'll try the other suggestions this weekend.
Thanks again for your help.

Mark

Dee Gallo
08-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Along similar lines, I would some opinions:

I have always run Corel with Parallels on my MacBook Pro. No problems after the initial setup glitches (it was a factory set up and didn't work, but I reinstalled...)

My questions: I have just gotten Leopard (I know, I'm slow) and since Bootcamp is native, will it work better with X3? My version of Parallels is now a few years old, will that be an issue with Leopard?

Thanks for any insight before I install anything, dee

George Beck
08-02-2008, 9:41 AM
Dee

I run X3 from an IMac with Parallels and I updated to Leopard. I find windows runs better from Leopard. Parallels will automatically update via updates. I can also use bootcamp but I like the wireless keyboard and mouse which doesn't work well with Bootcamp. So far no problems and I like being able to jump back and forth.

btw I visited your website and I love your work.

George

Dee Gallo
08-02-2008, 9:53 AM
Thanks George! Are you saying that when I install Leopard, Parallels will automatically adjust without being re-installed? That would be too great! Less for me to do...

Glad you liked my site, it's always appreciated.

cheers, dee

Darren Null
08-02-2008, 12:41 PM
I downloaded VirtualBox but it runs on the intel version of the iMac, which of coarse mine isn't.
Apologies.I didn't see past the word 'free'. Macs aren't my area of expertise.

George Beck
08-02-2008, 1:35 PM
Dee

After I installed Leopard and after about 2 days, I received notice saying that an update for parallels was available and asking if I wanted to download. Then you instal. It was very painless. This is one of the things I love about Apple, they update their programs without trying to sell you a new program every couple of years. Good Luck.

George