PDA

View Full Version : I need to vent.....

Matt Hutchinson
07-29-2008, 6:21 PM
I'll give you the background story. So I like making bowls, and I have planned on going semi-pro for a couple years. I haven't gone to any shows because 2 years ago I got married, moved to a new house, didn't have the shop set up yet, etc....

There is an annual craft fair only a few blocks from my house with 200 booths, and 15,000 people in one day. I hadn't planned on entering, but about a month ago I decided to inquire. The voice mail message said there were still openings. Yippee, right? Wrong.

Left a message with the craft fair director......
A week later, left another message.
A week later sent an e-mail.

I just got a call from her today. She pretty much admitted there was no excuse for her not returning my messages. Yet, she still had a few openings! I wonder why. :confused: If I had been called immediately I probably would have entered, but now I don't have the time to prepare enough finished pieces. If I am lucky I would be able to take 25 bowls. But I would be finishing them all at the same time, and I would still have to make a booth setup. It's just not possible by Sept. 9.

Have any of you had a similar experience? I doubt it, and I feel obligated to go above the director's head and explain the reason why they are struggling to fill booths.

Okay, I am done now. But I am still disappointed.

Hutch

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2008, 6:27 PM
Matt - feel your pain! I've yet to do a show and haven't quite gotten to the point where I feel I am ready for one - but the last thing in the world you want to have happen when first starting out is hassles. I don't know how fast you can make your bowls, how many you already have on hand - but you could get some great exposure and take orders. Maybe they can offer you some major discount on the price of a booth. Has to be some way to turn this around to work in your favor!

Keep us informed! Best of luck on your decision!

Matt Hutchinson
07-29-2008, 6:54 PM
The readiness factor is big. It was a last minute decision to begin with, and to have to rush the final turning process could be disastrous.

It's really a matter of planning ahead. Because I hadn't planned on doing a show this year, I haven't been pumping out rough bowls. I've got enough wood to feed Michigan's termite population for a year, but it's all in log form. Some of the best bowls I have just won't be dry by then.

You do have a good point though. The exposure would be great. I think I will finish as many bowls as I can, but if I can't get a discounted booth I may not bother. Even though a booth is only $140, if i have a shoddy looking booth I may give the wrong impression.

Hutch

Curt Fuller
07-29-2008, 6:58 PM
With 200 booths and 15,000 people a day, the organizers probably have a lot going on and a lot of repeat vendors. If you want to do a show and you have the chance to do one that is that big and that close to home, I think I'd just bite my tongue and get going on it. No one is going to come begging you to be in their show until you get a little noteriety. And you won't get that without some hard work on you part along with swallowing a little pride. Good Luck on it!

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2008, 7:04 PM
Matt - I understand about being prepared and you absolutely want to create the correct 'first impression' when being exposed to the public for the first time. Then again, you have to ask yourself if anyone is ever really 100% ready for that jump. It is up to you - how you feel about your products and whether or not you are ready to get out there and promote yourself as a turner. Grand Rapids should be one heck of a nice market - lots of folks, lots of culture and even a few folks with money!

Not telling you to jump in - just give it some more thought. Do you have anyone near you (turning club) that can offer some real time advice as to what you can expect and what you need to do to prepare for such an event?

Like I said before - think about it. This is an opportunity - but if you truely are not ready, so be it - but learn what you need to do so you will be prepared for the next time!

Matt Hutchinson
07-29-2008, 7:33 PM
Well, it's not really a matter of pride, and I suppose I should be careful how I word things. However, I do feel that as a director of such a large show, if it takes over 3 weeks to return a phone call you could at least have a voice mail message that says you aren't readily available instead of "I check my messages every 3 to 5 days". And I do understand there must be a lot going on.

As unready and rushed as I may feel, my desire for perfection overshadows all. To be honest, my biggest concern is the dryness of my rough bowls. I don't want to be selling 10" bowls that are 1/8" out of round. It just seems a little amaturish. Although, if I can sell my monster cherry bowl that's been drying for over 2 years, I would be rolling in dough. :)

I think I will play it by ear. If I am able to get enough lathe time this weekend then I will go for it. I will definitely update as things go along. Thanks for the encouragement!

Hutch

Jim Evans
07-29-2008, 7:40 PM
Matt,
Do it. Work on your booth - make it look good - take all the stuff you've got finished. The worst that could happen is you will sell everything!
Also, how about taking some unfinished stuff if you need to fill the booth - show the process it takes to make a bowl - sell the steak and the sizzle. They're not buying just a bowl they are buying your hard work and skill to turn a hunk of wood into a beautiful work of art.

PS - I've been a sales rep forever - can you tell?

Gerold Griffin
07-29-2008, 7:48 PM
Matt: Just a thought. Take as many quality turnings as you can to sell but also take along some photo's of past work, some card's and pen and paper. Tell the folks you made a few to sell at the show but really do custom work. Take thier name and phone number and some other bits of info like what size they would like and wood, and then at your convenice get back with them. Give your card out because some may change their mind come Christmas or whatever and get in touch with you then.

Reed Gray
07-29-2008, 8:23 PM
I would also still go. A show that gets 15,000 in one day and only $140 for the space? That is pretty good. Most of the time they are better about getting back to you, but if it is a month to go to show time, and they have spaces to fill, it may not be that good of a show. A really good show will have no problem filling their spaces, and have a waiting list for others if there are any last minute cancellations. Do take business cards, have a calling list, and let them know things will be ready for Christmas.

As far as a bowl being out of round by 1/8 inch, a 16 inch bowl can easily move that much between wet and dry seasons. I have had plenty that are 3 to 5 inches out of round and had no trouble selling them: yes, they are turned on a lathe, but are turned green, allowed to dry and warp, then I sand and finish them. 'Oh, they are so organic!' Organic????? On, yea, that's it, organic.

robo hippy

Barry Stratton
07-29-2008, 9:18 PM
An old saying from my former job came to mind when I read the OP:

Are you here to fish or drink coffee?

Do the show, do your best, and don't expect much.:D

Curt Fuller
07-29-2008, 9:43 PM
Well, I live in a town that doesn't even have 15,000 people so I see an opportunity like that as something that I would take full advantage of, by myself, without letting a little thing like a ditsy organizer stand between me and 15,000 people looking at my bowls. I know a lot of turners that would consider 1,500 people a great day at an art fair.

lynn smith
07-29-2008, 10:06 PM
For a $140 bucks and the desire to go semi-pro, I would dive in.
If you base your readiness on someones lack of readiness you won't find your place. We've all seen your work, go for it.
You didn't exactly ask for advice........... however,
I eventually want to be where you are right now, and your post has given me some things to think about in preparing for the future. I want to eventually sell my turnings at shows and possibly a local gallery.

Good luck!!

Matt Hutchinson
07-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I am really thankful for the type of responses you all have given. I sometimes find myself thinking in terms of 'step 2', when I am only on 'step 1'.

I am so stingy with my money right now (my wife and I are both only working part time), but we have both made a commitment to each other's goals and dreams. She is behind me, even though we can't afford to lose $140. I can't go wrong! :D

Of course, in the big picture it is worth $140. If I am serious about making turning into a part time business, I just have to take the plunge.

I am excited now, and I can't wait to make more shavings!

Hutch

Barry Stratton
07-29-2008, 10:42 PM
snip....

I am excited now, and I can't wait to make more shavings!

Atta-Boy. NOW you've got the right attitude!:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Hutch a bit of advice. Do it now or you may not ever do it. Get'er done.:D

Phillip Bogle
07-30-2008, 12:13 AM
I've been through this before and the worst thing possible is to try guessing what folks want. You could prepare a bunch of work with gloss finish and satin is what folks are buying. You could make 12" and they all want 6". Prepare as many nice pieces as you can, showing options and displaying photos. Bring a bunch of business cards, get some other something to pass out. Hold a drawing for a beautiful bowl or set or ?? and use the sign ups for entries to start a mailing list -- GET THEIR EMAIL on the entry form. Try to sell commissioned work. The work you get will be sold and the there will not be inventory that did not sell.

IF the money is bothering you -- and it shouldn't -- $140 is CHEAP exposure for the potential of 15,000 views of your product and advertising. You could not buy that good of an ad in the newspaper or the TV for that price.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Jim Ketron
07-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Got to start sometime!
Work on your dry bowls and get as many of those done that you can!
I don't know how your area is but around here I make just as much money on smaller turnings that only takes 15-20 min to turn and sand.
Small Oil lamps do well for me, I can sell them from $20-$45 depending on size and type of wood I use.
I get the disposible type that wal-mart sells around .99 cents for the small ones and around $1.50 for the larger ones. I use my dry cutoffs to make them or I use 4/4 lumber. not a big investment to make them.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/show2006d.jpg

Matt Hutchinson
07-30-2008, 7:30 AM
Jim what you said is interesting. I may be more successful with this crowd if I have a lot of smaller items.

Well, it's 7:30 AM. Time to head out to the shop.

Hutch

robert hainstock
07-30-2008, 7:42 AM
I agree with the go get the exposure advice. I have only been to a couple 15K a day shows but they were profitible. :)
Bob

Russ Peters
07-30-2008, 8:28 AM
As my wife tells me about not doing shows or trying to sell my stuff outside my comfort zone. " I have never seen someone so talented that is not willing to make at least enough selling as it did to buy the "toys" that you have". I know the feeling about not being ready and about not wanting to look amateurish but if you have that kind of exposure available I say go for it. (and yes I am still hiding in the corner not going out and trying to make something off of the masses)

Raymond Overman
07-30-2008, 9:43 AM
25 pieces isn't a bad showing if they're quality pieces by the way. The last show I did had over 100 pieces by various artists. There was a lot of good work that was overlooked because of the shear number of pieces available in such a small space.

Having tables filled with 100 or more pieces that you quickly hobbled together won't make for a good show anyway. With over a month to prep, I would say go ahead and devote the time into getting it put together. Present the pieces as individually as possible, maybe on raised boxes covered in cloth or something similar.

It does bite that they did not get back with you on your time frame but so it goes. Like others have said, with that big of a show, they aren't concerned about catering to a lone vendor. If you're concerned about that, the show may not be for you.

Greg Savage
07-30-2008, 9:51 AM
Matt...Welcome to the art fair world. There is not an event that you will ever participate in that is aggravation-free.

First off...What kind of an event is this?....A juried event?...Community show with free admission or a private event with a paid admission fee? Most shows reserve a few spaces to accomodate a number of reasons such as late entries or last minute changes to the show's layout. so, don't get too upset with the director. She has plenty on her plate at this late stage. At least she finally returned your call. If you go over her head, and this is not a juried event, say goodbye to ever participating in it.

Things to remember.....Do you have a Sales tax license for your state?.....You may need a local vendor's license. Do you have the ability to accept credit cards?......(just a few)

What are your price points? $20 items seem to sell well. If you have a shelf full of nice bowls @$40-80, many people just look and say "very nice" and be on their way. Items like chain pulls and letter openers are always good movers. The smaller items are your bread and butter.

Whether you decide to participate in the event or not, you should attend the fair as an observer. What are the people buying? Are the buying flat art, country collectibles, jewellry or whatever. Talk to the other artists....see how their sales are. Yogi Berra said that "YOU can observe a lot by just looking".

It doesn't sound like you are quite ready for your first show. No matter how preparred you think that you are for a show, there is always something that gets overlooked. What kind of canopy do you have?...Shelving?...Tables? A professional display takes time, money and effort. I've done shows for 15 years and it is my experience that the wood turners doing their first few have the least professional displays out there. I can't say why, but that is what I see. I've seen guys with their preferred wood turning group's hat on, standing there with a few tables of turnings and wonder why biz isn't good.

Finally.....Even the most seasoned art fair vendor can get to a show prepared for anything. You can have high end items and low end items ......and everything in between. And youmay find that the folks attending the fair are only there for their annual fix of $8-a-bag kettle corn!!!!!

Edit....Is it my eyes or does the thumbnail look soft?

Matt Hutchinson
07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
I obviously don't have any experience with shows, but I can assume such a show (more crafts than art) isn't likely to draw a crowd of big spenders. On the other hand, I may be a sort of 'light in the darkness' which in itself may give a good first impression.

As far as display goes, having dark cloth draped over stands/tables has a decent appearance. I am more concerned with my lack on an awning. Also, I think if my booth looked too much like a gallery people might feel less comfortable. Except for the NE bowls and delicate turnings, I want people to touch the pieces. A balance between warmth and art gallery feel is what I think I will go for. Any inexpensive but attractive awning suggestions?

Here's my plan. I am going to have one or two very high end pieces $600 to $1300, a few between $120 and $250, about 8 between $75 and $120, and about 10 between $40 and $75. If have time I might make some small, thin walled oval bowls priced to move, but that's the lowest priority.

I do have to have a tax ID, but that's it. I don't plan on accepting credit cards. If I can call in a CC purchase for an individual high end piece I would consider it, but I won't offer it for the rest of the stuff. I'll have to investigate.

Thanks again for all the input. Keep it coming! :)

Hutch

Doug Rogers
07-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Hutch,

Go to Sam's Club for the easy up, four sided, canopies. The ones at Sam's have removable sides. The cost is under $200. Dick's and other similar sporting goods stores have the easy up canopies. A lot of football fans use them to tailgate.

They are easy to set up. Open the box take it out. Spread the canopy so it is square. Lift the corners up until they they lock. Adjust the height on all four corners and you are done. no assembly required. One less problem on your list.

Doug Rogers

john taliaferro
07-30-2008, 12:16 PM
the first bowl is 140.00. watch pricing to cheap so you dont end up working to long on orders, and not able to do what you find fun.

Greg Savage
07-30-2008, 1:42 PM
I do have to have a tax ID, but that's it. I don't plan on accepting credit cards. If I can call in a CC purchase for an individual high end piece I would consider it, but I won't offer it for the rest of the stuff. :)

Hutch

Hutch.....A tax ID is good....It can save you a lot of problems should the the state dept of revenue decide to check for your sales tax ID license. I have only been checked once in the last dozen years.

Do you have a merchant account with a credit card vendor such as TeaMac, Mobile Artisans, or MerchantAnywhere? With the ability to accept credit cards, your bottom line will likely show an increase in sales.....When I started taking cards, my sales increased 50%. Without an merchant account, you can't call anybody to take a credit card.

As far as wanting people touching your pieces, watch out for the kids with their sticky little hands!

I just got back from a show where a mother was scolding a child for touching things. The kid was pitching a fit. All of this was within 10 ft of my booth. I then hear mom saying..."i told you not to touch anything. You might break something. These artists work hard on their things and don't want them broken. Don't touch anything unless I say so!" She then comes into my booth....Straight at a $3400 work and said...."Here, you can touch this." I quickly snapped..."Do you think so? I think not!". Sometimes you have to get their attention. Somebody once told me that anyone who comes into your booth is a potential customer. At times I think that you need to take a chance on losing the sale.

Jack Camillo
07-30-2008, 1:59 PM
Hutch
go for it. Secondly, I'd speak to the director about getting "prime" booth location locked in for next year in response to her lack of responses this year. Best of luck.
jack

Bruce McElhaney
07-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Matt, we're over in Spring Lake and sell bowls at a few art/craft shows around Western MI. and feel your pain. I've learned that in general, show entries are down and most promoters will take almost anybody with a pulse. That's both good and bad news! However, it all depends on who's promoting the show. Most competent promoters want to fill up the show ASAP. But If the people in charge are unpaid volunteers from some organization putting on the show, they may be less than enthusiastic in returning your calls. Personally, if I were you I'd ask for a discount because it's so late. Remember, there are many shows to choose from so you should be selective and not waste your time and money on lower quality or poorly run shows. Good luck.

Matt Hutchinson
08-02-2008, 7:44 PM
I have about 20 bowls second turned, awaiting their final turning sometime in the next two weeks. I have another 7 or so ready to be finished right now. This morning I skimmed the sealer off the 22" cherry bowl. I am happy to find it will be ready for the show. I can't wait to see people's reaction. 22" doesn't sound that big, but in person it looks huge! Also, I put the first coat of finish on a nice 13" claro walnut root burl bowl. It's gorgeous! I will post a pic soon as the wax goes on.

I'm excited.......oh yeah.

Hutch