PDA

View Full Version : Little shaker here in SoCal

Mike Henderson
07-29-2008, 2:48 PM
Medium sized earthquake here in southern California. Anyone else feel it?

Mike

Jason Beam
07-29-2008, 3:25 PM
Someone said it was felt in vegas ... didn't make it up my way. They never do. Been here since '99 and have never felt a quake before. So far, looks like i picked a calm spot in Cali :P

Lee DeRaud
07-29-2008, 3:54 PM
They're now calling it a 5.4, epicenter in Chino Hills: if I read their map right, I'm maybe 6-7 miles south as the crow flies.

Only thing broken was the natural-edge bowl by Mark Cothren that I bought in SMCs charity auction awhile back. Couple pieces of bark edge broke off, but should be fixable assuming I can find all the chunks.

Bunch of stuff came off shelves and a bunch of books tipped over, shower doors got shaken off the tracks...already fixed. I've still got gas, water, cable, and electricity, so everything must have moved as one big chunk here.

This one shook the house north-south, which I don't ever remember happening before. Only lasted about 10 seconds here though. Because of where I am, it felt like a harder hit than the Northridge quake, but not as long.

Dan Lee
07-29-2008, 4:00 PM
I live near LAX and was surprised it shook so much for a moderate quake epicentered what 30-40 miles away.
It got the pool slooshing but no white caps.:D

Matt Meiser
07-29-2008, 4:09 PM
I just exchanged emails with one of my co-workers who is in Orange Country right now. He said he felt it pretty good. I was just there last week--missed it by 4 days.

Joe Pelonio
07-29-2008, 5:03 PM
Coming from CA myself, a 5.4 is just a baby for there. Hopefully there's not a
bigger one in the works. Here a 5.4 would have people jumping off of bridges.

Rafael Carias
07-29-2008, 7:32 PM
I was out side in South Pasadena when it happened, It felt a bit strong but not scary, you kinda get used to mild shakers after you live here for a while. ;)

Ben Rafael
07-29-2008, 9:57 PM
The media is making a big deal about this quake, must be a slow newsday. The only way this quake could've hurt anyone is if they panicked and ran into traffic.

glenn bradley
07-29-2008, 9:57 PM
It was amusing. When the quake hit the only person who stopped talking during our staff meeting was from out of state. The mini blinds were banging against the windows and the rest of us pretty much ignored it (all natives).

I guess folks used to tornados would be laughing at me as I ran around like a goof if one was in sight ;-)

Lee DeRaud
07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
I guess folks used to tornados would be laughing at me as I ran around like a goof if one was in sight ;-)If I ever meet somebody who is actually "used to tornados", I'm going to leave the room immediately, because he's obviously insane.

Eddie Watkins
07-29-2008, 10:50 PM
The difference between a tornado and an earthquake is we usually have an advanced warning for tornadoes and you can move 1/2 mile one way or another and get away from them or you can have a tornado shelter where you are relatively safe. Earthquakes come with no warning and cover a larger area, there is no place to hide if you are inside and, while buildings are somewhat earthquake resistant, some earthquakes are big enough it doesn't matter. I grew up in Modesto( actually Crows Landing, CA) and earthquakes are very unnerving to me. I'll take tornadoes any day.

Eddie

Rick Potter
07-30-2008, 2:35 AM
I was in the shop, and it shook like a dog with a bone, but no damage I can find other than a couple fine cracks in the drywall of my patio room.

Speaking of dogs...my two were right there, and that early warning system they are supposed to have was a complete flop...they never even whined when it was happening.

Rick Potter

Curt Harms
07-30-2008, 2:21 PM
I was in the shop, and it shook like a dog with a bone, but no damage I can find other than a couple fine cracks in the drywall of my patio room.

Speaking of dogs...my two were right there, and that early warning system they are supposed to have was a complete flop...they never even whined when it was happening.

Rick Potter

Did they grow up in California? If so, did they yawn?:)