PDA

View Full Version : Veneer over MDF bad idea in a bathroom?

Michael Donahue
07-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Hey folks. I'm working on a bathroom cupboard and then a vanity made of maple with 3/4" maple ply for the sides. I want to do flat panel doors but I'm unable to find 1/2" maple ply (that's not prefinished) anywhere locally. I really only need about 2'x4' too that that's even harder to come by.

I've had good luck veneering over MDF before so I was thinking of getting some maple veneer and using this for the panels. Do you think this will pose a problem in a bathroom environment? I'm not going to stain the project but it will be sufficiently coated with Waterlox which was recommended by a guy at my local Woodcraft.

Thanks for the help!

Frank Drew
07-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Michael,

Of course you'll be veneering both sides of the MDF panels, and I'd use a water resistant glue like Weldwood Plastic Resin (brown glue) rather than a white or yellow glue. Also, just to be safe, I'd put some finish on the edges of the MDF before framing up your doors, just as extra insurance against swelling. Sealing everything with a thinned coat of varnish before applying the oil might give you a bit of added protection against the bathroom's humidity although it might not be necessary.

Steve Clardy
07-29-2008, 1:01 PM
How about using 1/4 ply and face 2 pieces back to back

Michael Donahue
07-29-2008, 1:06 PM
I'd definitely be veneering both sides of the MDF. I'd thought about using plywood but even the stuff at Woodcraft always seems a bit warped...and forget about the small pieces at the local borg. I have had good luck with the MDF there though and it's cheap.

Curt Harms
07-29-2008, 8:21 PM
MDF doesn't like water AT ALL! We have some MDF window shelves that prove that fact and need replacing. I don't know if waterlox or whatever would moisture-proof the MDF adequately. I guess there's some MFD that will tolerate being damp but I wouldn't have a clue where to find it. Were it me, I'd give some thought to Steve's idea of 2 pieces of 1/4" ply laminated. Maybe experiment with some 1/4" lauan sold as underlayment and see if warped pieces glued up straighten out. I'd have more confidence in that idea than veneered MFD. Of course I have no first hand experience so this is worth exactly what you paid for it.:o

Curt

Mike Henderson
07-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Isn't there some MDF that's water resistant? I haven't used it but I thought someone mentioned it in a previous thread.

Mike

Dewey Torres
07-30-2008, 1:13 AM
Isn't there some MDF that's water resistant? I haven't used it but I thought someone mentioned it in a previous thread.

Mike

MDF comes in a "water resistant grade" see here:

http://www.norbord.com/images/MR_Technical_Data_Sheet.pdf