PDA

View Full Version : "Yellow Ribbon" Pens

Rick Flagg
04-27-2004, 11:44 AM
I've been considering making some pens to leave at houses I pass that are decorated in RWB bunting or yellow ribbons - signifying a loved one overseas. The design I'm thinking about would be a yellow pen with a RWB corian center band. Yellowheart is the material that comes to mind for the pens. Does anyone know of any acrylic material that is available in yellow, or is yellowheart my best bet? Any thoughts?

Keith Outten
04-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Rick,

Dupont Corian comes in a yellow color called "Sun", you may be able to find scaps at your local cabinet or counter top installation shops.

Rob Littleton
04-27-2004, 12:22 PM
I found Osage Orange comes up a beautiful yellow color.

I also use yellow acrylic from Tap Plastics in the bay area. Just glue the slabs together and cut them.

God bless you for thinking of doing this.........

regards

John Hammer
04-27-2004, 4:23 PM
You can cast polyester resin in about any color.

Kenn Osborne
04-27-2004, 5:09 PM
You can actually imbed a real yellow ribbon in polyester resin for the pen if you wish. All you do is wrap the pen tube with ribbon plug the ends and cast the resin around the tube. It is really easy and the final product is very nice.

Here is a link to a pen I made with gold ribbon:
http://www.osbornewoodworks.com/images/DSC01339.JPG

There is a link to a disscussion on the Yahoo Penturners Group about casting and using a mold I made from copper pipe:

I think this idea is wonderful. Please post pictures when you are finished.