PDA

View Full Version : Where do I buy machined pulleys?

Brian W Evans
07-29-2008, 9:26 AM
I have been meaning to upgrade my contractor's saw using machined pulleys and a power twist belt.

I thought I had seen the pulleys in one of my catalogs, but I couldn't find them when I looked today. Anyone got a source for the pulleys?

Thanks.

Jamie Buxton
07-29-2008, 10:03 AM
You might try McMaster-Carr. www.mcmaster.com

Larry James
07-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Brian, I'm looking for machined pulleys also. I have the power twist belt.

Look at this link and see what you think.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4169

Larry

Matthew Hills
07-29-2008, 10:39 AM
My local woodcraft had a TS overhaul kit that included the link belt and machined pulleys. I don't see it on their corporate website, so I'm assuming it was something stocked on the initiative of the store owner.

http://www.in-lineindustries.com/performance_pack.html
http://www.in-lineindustries.com/images/perpac1_3.jpg

Mark Rios
07-29-2008, 12:24 PM
My local woodcraft had a TS overhaul kit that included the link belt and machined pulleys. I don't see it on their corporate website, so I'm assuming it was something stocked on the initiative of the store owner.

http://www.in-lineindustries.com/performance_pack.html
http://www.in-lineindustries.com/images/perpac1_3.jpg

That kit is very yummy. :D Back when I had a contractor saw I installed the kit and was very happy with it.

Lee Schierer
07-29-2008, 12:51 PM
If you take the pulleys off and go to your local industrial supply or bearing supplier, they will have machined pullies in stock at prices far below the retail outlets. Most places have a counter service for walk in customers and they don't care if you are from a company if you pay with cash or major credit card.

Pete Bradley
07-29-2008, 1:11 PM
Machined pulleys seem to be the latest in woodworking forum buzzwords, but they won't deliver results (except for putting money in the seller's pocket) unless there's something wrong with the ones you've got. If your machine has decent-quality pulleys that aren't wallowed or out of round, it really doesn't matter if they were die cast or machined.

Pete

Mike Henderson
07-29-2008, 2:06 PM
Machined pulleys seem to be the latest in woodworking forum buzzwords, but they won't deliver results (except for putting money in the seller's pocket) unless there's something wrong with the ones you've got. If your machine has decent-quality pulleys that aren't wallowed or out of round, it really doesn't matter if they were die cast or machined.

Pete
Amen to what Pete said. I put machined pulleys and a link belt on my saw. Just for information, I tried all different combinations of regular belt, link belt, OEM pulleys and machined pulleys. The thing that made the most difference was the link belt. Since I had them I put the machined pulleys on also but couldn't tell any improvement beyond the link belt.

Mike

Brian W Evans
07-29-2008, 2:19 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I just went out to my shop to measure the ID of my pulleys and it occurred to me that there really might not be anything wrong with them.

I think I'll try just upgrading the belt first, as a couple of you recommended.

I'll report back when I get that done.

Thanks again.

Barry Vabeach
07-29-2008, 8:57 PM
Brian, before you change anything, take some measurements - if you have a dial indicator, of the current vibration, then when you change to a link belt. This page shows how he measures for balancing bandsaw wheels, but I used the same concept to balance an attic fan, and also checked the vibration before and after the link belt on my bandsaw http://wiki.owwm.com/BandsawBladeBalancing.ashx

Harley Reasons
07-29-2008, 9:01 PM
I ordered the pulleys from Inline but they didn't have the twist belts in stock and said it was going to be Oct before they got them in. I ordered mine from Rockler or Woodcraft one, can't remember which.
I've installed the machine pulley on the motor, but never have gotten around to installing the one on the arbor. Main reason is I haven't figured out how to get the arbor pulley loose yet. (Can anyone give me a hint on a Delta contractor TS?)
I agree that the belt is the biggest bang for the buck, if I had it to do over I wouldn't have purchased the pulleys.

Bruce Wrenn
07-29-2008, 10:28 PM
I ordered the pulleys from Inline but they didn't have the twist belts in stock and said it was going to be Oct before they got them in. I ordered mine from Rockler or Woodcraft one, can't remember which.
I've installed the machine pulley on the motor, but never have gotten around to installing the one on the arbor. Main reason is I haven't figured out how to get the arbor pulley loose yet. (Can anyone give me a hint on a Delta contractor TS?)
I agree that the belt is the biggest bang for the buck, if I had it to do over I wouldn't have purchased the pulleys.Delta used two different style of arbor pulleys. One was same style as the one on the motor ( pre 1988). Other is a two piece pulley, which is held on by a nut on the end of the arbor. I can buy turned pulleys from In-Line Industries cheaper than Browning cast iron pulleys. That is the only reason I bought them from In-Line. The belt is the more important of the two. As a demo, I put a brand new Goodyear "Power Flex" belt on my saw, and then replace it with a link belt. It is like two different saws.

George Sanders
07-30-2008, 7:17 AM
I have had a disapointing experience with In-Line so I don't deal with them, I like the speed of delivery with Highland woodworking. You can find everything In-line sells elsewhere and it will be in stock.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-30-2008, 9:36 AM
Brown & Sharp
and
Boston Gear used to.
http://www.bostongear.com/products/index.html
I'm sure Boston gear still does. They have a dealer locator on their web site. MCMASTER CARR is a listed dealer.

Most any industrial supply that sells bearings will also have machined and balanced pulleys and sheaves.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-30-2008, 9:45 AM
Machined pulleys seem to be the latest in woodworking forum buzzwords, but they won't deliver results

That's not been my experience. I find that there are a couple of strong advantages and I've used 'em for decades in my wood shop as well as in my trade (machinist toolmaker) and later as an engineer. There is simply no comparison.

Die cast pulleys are not balanced so they bring vibration to the party.

Die cast pulleys are soft so that over time ( not much time) they become distorted often presenting an oblong bore hole and an oblong belt "V" which introduces more vibration.

Die cast pulleys are not terribly concentric to begin with and the bore is rarely truly round and only then by rare & lucky accident.

The metal has no meaningful hysteresis or modulus of elasticity to allow the metal to recover from deforming stresses.

Machined pulleys and sheaves are:
Balanced, eliminating vibration

Heavy, which dampens vibration

Concentric because they are machined in one set up.

The bores are more true to round than any casting operation can ever accomplish.

Extremenly resistant to deformation under stress.

Steel has an excellent modulus of elasticity with excellent memory. Cast machined pulleys and sheaves are exceptional at resisting deformation in the first place.

The are vastly superior to any die cast product.

Brent Shelton
07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
I also got the same from In-Line, they were out of stock of belts for my saw(Delta CS) so I ordered that from elsewhere.

My other issue was once I received the pulleys from In-Line, there was a note with them saying that they were out of the "normal ones they sent out" but these worked just as good. I dont have the note with me so I am paraphrasing. I went back and forth with them on email about the belt not being in stock and they never once mentioned that the pulleys they were selling me were not the “normal ones” they advertised. As of now I have not put them on but I will never do business with them again for that fact. Not sure I even want to mess with returning them since the link belt made such a difference I haven’t found the motivation to install the pulleys. I think they charged 12.50 per pulley.

Larry James
07-30-2008, 12:00 PM
OK, you guys have convinced me, no sense in replacing good pulleys just to match a new twist-belt. :)

Larry