PDA

View Full Version : Open Stave Piece

Richard Madison
07-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Ok, it’s just a cone, experiment with open, compound stave construction (idea from Jim Miles). It’s elm and mesquite, 4-1/2” x 10” tall (plus the fat finial borrowed from another piece to see how it would look), fairly uniform ¼” wall thickness, and a couple coats of lacquer. Edges of the openings are black lacquer. All grain direction is essentially vertical. So whaddayathink? Comments/critiques welcome, and thanks for looking.

David Walser
07-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Don't know what to think, Richard. The piece looks well made and I'm intrigued by it. I just don't know how much of that intrigue is from the artistic merits of the form or the question of just what to do with it. Store spaghetti? No, spaghetti would fall out the slits. Store cigars? No, too tall. Hmmm...

Richard Madison
07-29-2008, 1:02 AM
David, If the spaghetti was long enough it would be just fine and have suitable ventilation.

Phillip Bogle
07-29-2008, 3:21 AM
The first impression that I got is that it would make a nice double lamp. Night light wired inside the body and a second single lamp harp at the top.

This has some very interesting lines, and possibilities. You could put a round final and use it as a dressing hat stand. Typically you would find the hat stand in a Victorian/Romance decor setting, but many of the old things are being made new with bit of an updated twist.

Hope that helps some.

robert hainstock
07-29-2008, 8:17 AM
It will keep people guessing, and start many conversations. :confused::):)
Bob

Tim Thomas
07-29-2008, 8:32 AM
I really like the piece, it is very unique. I do like it better without the finial and I think it would make a great vase for displaying one or two "dramatic" flowers (a single orchid could be really nice). The shape and arrangement of the cutouts on the sides reminds me of a some of the stained glass window designs of Frank Lloyd Wright.

http://www.stainedglassandmore.com/FLWStyleWheat.htm

http://free-stainedglasspatterns.com/2franklloydwrighttreeoflife.html

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2008, 9:14 AM
Richard - as an experiment in stave construction I would say you succeeded! Nice design, joints and finish! As lots of folks have suggestions - what about opening the throat up on the next one and create a staved vase?

I like this piece just because it is different and I can see how it can definately lead to other projects. Very nice design!

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2008, 9:27 AM
Richard I like it alot. Nice design. I can see that leading to other designs.

Mark Hix
07-29-2008, 8:01 PM
Cool! I would like to see it with a thinner finial. I'm not saying it needs one, I just want to see it with one.

(sigh) another thing to add to the "Must Make" list.

Richard Madison
07-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Thank you Robert, and all who replied. Was hoping that you would find the piece a little different and interesting, and I appreciate your comments. The recess in the top is intended to receive a slightly recessed flat top with a small finial, very much in the style of Curt Fuller's tall box which I like a lot. As mentioned, the fat finial was borrowed temporarily from another piece, which now looks incomplete without its top. Thanks again y'all.

Edit: Steve, maybe will do a straight stave vase next (after a few "honey-do" projects). This one was a compound stave, so was sorta committed to the conical shape.

Tom Storey
07-29-2008, 11:35 PM
This has possibilities! Although the voids in this piece are in uniform straight lines, the staves could be cut so that the voids form a pattern or picture. I was thinking of a serpentine pattern? or a figure outline (bird? flower?) in the void. The trick would be to avoid catches as the voids widen to accommodate the figure.

Richard Madison
07-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Interesting idea. Go for it Tom. Let us see what you come up with.