PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a SF Bay Area Finishing Stripping Company

Chris Fairbanks
07-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Anyone know of a company (preferably over in the east bay) that can do some stripping of finish on a few tables for my parents? They have a few 30 year old pieces of furniture (kitchen table, coffee table and end table) that are nice solid oak but need to be refinished. I have the time to re-stain and spray them just not the time to strip them down right now due to my day job. Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
07-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Alpha Restoration does stripping. 4512 Hollis, Emeryville.

Chris Fairbanks
07-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Jamie,
Thanks for the quick response. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Paul Gatti
07-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Be careful when you send furniture out to be stripped. Some companies will actually dip the item into a tank of stripper. Just like dipping it in water, this will end up warping all the wood and ruining the piece of furniture.

Thomas S Stockton
07-29-2008, 12:39 PM
A client had Alpha finish some chairs I made to match a table they were refinishing and they do really good work. There also by a bunch of coffee roasters so it smells real nice near there shop. Hate coffee but love the smell.
Tom

Neal Clayton
07-29-2008, 3:19 PM
also depends on the post-tank procedure they use. the ones i used in new orleans went from the vat to a pressure washer. that was fine for old pine and cypress, but it turned oak into swiss cheese. if they pellet blast it or something after the tank it'll probably be ok.