PDA

View Full Version : Ever bought too much tool?

Jim Broestler
07-28-2008, 11:40 PM
While in the process of building a batch of plant stands, I decided it might be time to upgrade from the el cheapo $99 benchtop combo sander. Thus began the process that led to actually considering a $1500 edge sander, floor model. Fortunately I regained my senses (and if I hadn't my wife would have found them for me, I'm sure), and realized that what I needed to do - for now at least - could easily be handled with the equipment I currently own.

Now, at some point in the future, an edge sander might just be what I need. But then again, I'd also like a compressor, a Panasonic cordless drill, a Bosch jig saw, and a drum sander. I guess it should also be pointed out that I don't do woodworking professionally, so investing in a bunch of heavy duty machinery right away isn't really a practical, or even necessary thing for me. I figure the best thing is to buy as I need. The point is, it is amazingly easy to take the smallest inconvenience on a job and turn it into an excuse for blowing a whole bunch of moolah on those shiny tools with all those bells and whistles that we've been drooling over since we first watched Norm crank out a project in that big ol' shop of his.

So have you ever fallen prey to the Urge to Splurge, when deep down you really know you could have been a little wiser with your budget?

David DeCristoforo
07-28-2008, 11:51 PM
It's easy to do. But here's the thing. You might not "need" the bigger machine but you will never regret having it. I have always been opposed to the idea of buying a lot of cheap (and usually much lower quality) tools instead of buying a few more expensive (but much better quality) tools. Budget? Logic? Those are the concerns of the rational man and have little meaning for the true tool junkie....

Leigh Betsch
07-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Mini Max 8.5 ft slider, MM 20 bandsaw, MM 16 Jointer/Planer, Delta Drill Press, Oliver wood lathe, Southbend metal lathe, Moore Jig Borer, benchtop CNC milling machine, couple of dust collectors, $5K in misc hand tools, no I guess I've never bought more tool than I need. Got my eye on a couple more metal working machines.:D

Jim Broestler
07-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Cheap tools are definitely something I avoid (okay, except for that combo sander), and I do try to keep the future in mind. But with a limited amount of space for the foreseeable future, there's a limit to the amount of industrial-sized machinery I can get in there and still manage to move.:o

And as much as I'd love to spare no expense, I just can't always buy Festool or Powermatic. I know there are a lot of guys out there who advise to make price no object, and I have to respect their experience and wisdom, but it just doesn't fit my reality right now. So I use what I've got, and fill my piggy bank until I can go get that high-quality tool.

John Schreiber
07-29-2008, 12:14 AM
. . . Thus began the process that led to actually considering a $1500 edge sander, floor model. . . .
Spend a few extra bucks and be sure to get the oscillating model. It's really worth it.:D You don't want to cheat yourself when you are spending nearly two grand.:eek:

I haven't spent too much on a tool yet, but I hope to some day. Actually, I was just paging through the Grizzly Catalog and looked at one of those Oscillating Edge/Spindle Sanders (between $1500 and $1750 depending on how honest you feel you need to be when you calculate shipping and accessories). I know I could have saved about eight hours in the shop if I had one of those. And I know I could use it on many other projects.

Now I'm considering replacing my 30 year old 3/8" power drill with a finicky trigger and/or my cheap 3x21 belt sander which burns my hand when used for more than a few minutes.

The important thing is that I'm having fun out in the shop and getting some stuff made. Going cheap is better than not going at all.

David DeCristoforo
07-29-2008, 12:17 AM
"...I just can't always buy Festool..."

Well, I have a pretty big shop and I do this "for a living" and I still choke on the price of Festool stuff...

Jim Broestler
07-29-2008, 12:21 AM
The important thing is that I'm having fun out in the shop and getting some stuff made. Going cheap is better than not going at all.

That's about how I see it.

And I was looking seriously at that Grizzly sander too. Put that one on the wish list.

Terry Teadtke
07-29-2008, 12:52 AM
There is no such thing as too much tool. Period

Terry

Sean Kinn
07-29-2008, 7:37 AM
No such thing. Like others have already mentioned it just comes down to balancing your needs with your budget, expectations....and patience. I'm still a relative newbie, but one thing I've known from other hobbies (and that I've already been reminded of with woodworking) is that you'll never regret having the right tool for the job (after the initial $$ pain to buy it). Like many before me, I'm also finding more "bang for my buck" with vintage power tools. I only have my Uni now, but someday when I have the space I'll be looking for some more old iron.

Just last night I was finally putting my new smoothing plane to work on its first real project. It was a bit pricey, but I'm sure I had an ear to ear grin while I was making those nice 2" wide whispy shavings you can read through. I quickly forgot about the initial purchase price...:D

Rod Sheridan
07-29-2008, 8:20 AM
I've never bought too much tool, I have however bought too little tool, several times. (Slow learner).

Yes, I could have made a router table instead of purchasing a shaper, however I've never said "Gee, this shaper doesn't do what I want, I wish I had purchased a router table"

I'm always tempted to use the "of course I'll build you a new bird feeder Dear. I'll head out to the machinery supplier and buy that shaper I was looking at so I can round over the edges of the wood. We don't want those cute birds getting any slivers do we"?

Of course at my house the above logic isn't required.

In threads of this sort, many people report that their wife puts the brakes on shop purchases.

I have the opposite problem, Diann always encourages me to purchase the better, more expensive, or larger unit.

Lets see, so far she's encouraged me to purchase an Oneida cyclone, a wood lathe, and a Hammer A3-31.

Note that in all of the above I was replacing existing machinery (Some of it General), so it wasn't an absolute requirement.

Oh yeah, she also made the final argument for the last vintage bike I purchased, a 1930 500cc James with acetylene lighting.

Of course, this thread actually begs the question "How could you have too much tool"?

Regards, Rod.

Mitchell Andrus
07-29-2008, 8:28 AM
I buy tools I can grow into, not out of. Consequently, I've always had tools above or at my skill level, not below it.

Bigger IS better.

Tim Thomas
07-29-2008, 8:53 AM
I don't know if you can buy "too much tool" from a quality/power perspective, but you can certainly buy a tool that is physically too large for your space. If someone were to give me a 12 inch jointer for FREE, I would have to give it back because I would not have anywhere in my shop to put it. Space may be infinite where the universe is concerned, but that is not true in my shop. :)

Jeff Duncan
07-29-2008, 9:19 AM
Yes you can certainly buy "too much tool".... for instance, if your trying to figure out how to fit your newly acquired 38" Buss planer in your 2 car garage, that's too much tool!:eek: There are many industrial machines that are just not practical for small shops.
On the other hand if you have the room and budget for a machine, then I always vote for the best you can afford. It's much simpler if your making a living out of it as tools pay for themselves, and buying a cheap tool is a poor investment.
good luck,
JeffD

Greg Cole
07-29-2008, 9:22 AM
I buy tools I can grow into, not out of. Consequently, I've always had tools above or at my skill level, not below it.
Good advice Mitchell. I like that one as I've learned that one the same way you did (most likely).

I too like Rod, have no resistance from the bride. She'd rather me get whatever it is I think I want and not have to live with me after buying what I could get by with.
Budget? Uhhh, no matter what the budget is... ya spend it all and then find a way to come up with the rest of the $. In the mean time, ya still are putting things on the "I want list" I bet.....
Logic....? What is that word and why is it being used when talking about buying things 10% to 50% of an automobile sales price that see 0.0005% of the use.;) Most of us are weekend warriors at best..... and the tool collections only see a few hours of use a week at best.
In all seriousness, there is no such thing as a waste on anything so long as you use it & get the restults you desire.

Greg

Jim Becker
07-29-2008, 9:31 AM
I would say that "wrong tool" is possible. But I'll take "too much tool" over "too little" or "poor quality" tool any day.

Mike Parzych
07-29-2008, 9:53 AM
I think the most common mistake for someone relatively new to the hobby/profession is buying the wrong tools rather than buying too much tool. It takes a little while to figure out which tools will match the type of work you're planning to do. I think buying basic multi-purpose tools - (e.g. a ROS versus drum sander, etc.) is the best way to go. Time and experience will tell you what you really need to get next.

Jack Hutchinson
07-29-2008, 12:08 PM
We all have budgetary constraints.

I try to imagine use of the tool and the options, then talk through it with my wife. She's great at posing questions.

I know I've made the right decision if I feel good about it the next morning.

My regrets have all been impulse buys, lack or research (quality) or failing to anticipate a need and getting time-jammed into an immediate purchase of what's available locally.

Like everyone, I've never regretted quality - repays me every time I use it.

jason lambert
07-29-2008, 1:44 PM
I look at it this way if I have to resell most of my big dollar stuff I would still get a good price for itso at the end of the day is it really costing me more? If it saves time frustration and had resale value. And heck if you buy it used to start you are really just renting it.

Bill Wyko
07-29-2008, 2:23 PM
I bought a TS-75 when all i needed was A TS-55 but I don't regret it at all. Just a little more cumbersome to use on small projects.

John Hedges
07-29-2008, 7:48 PM
Too much tool???? That's like saying Too Big of a TV. It just isn't possible.:D

Dave Lehnert
07-29-2008, 8:18 PM
Like Mike I think it is more the wrong tool than too big a tool. I looked a long time at an edge sander but could never get past the high belt speed with all the models available. Would be used mostly for box making. I then turned my thought to the Shopsmith belt sander as I own a Mark V. I would be able to run the belt at any speed I need. For $300 it turned out to be exactly what I needed. I can use the extra $500 + I saved for wood or other tools. now I am sure if I purchased the edge sander I would also be happy. Just more than needed.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/images/01_BeltSander.jpg

Chris Kennedy
07-29-2008, 9:16 PM
I think my experiences mirrors many other. I am not quite certain that there is such a thing as "too much tool." There is the wrong tool, that is for certain.

As a hobbyist, my tools have evolved. I have bought too little, or more accurately, I have outgrown what I originally bought. And the LOML is very good at keeping me honest. Whenever I float the idea of a major tool expense, she will call me on it if I am simply collecting tools. But she is also the other way -- she'll tell me to buy tools that I need but am slow to buy, or more to the point, she'll buy it for me. It's a hard life.

Cheers,

Chris

Mitchell Andrus
07-29-2008, 9:44 PM
The original question had nothing to do with size or space available.

Too large? Yes, you can buy a tool that is too large.

Mitchell Andrus
07-29-2008, 9:46 PM
Like everyone, I've never regretted quality - repays me every time I use it.

I've always regretted 'cheaping out'. It always cost more in the long run.

Peter Quinn
07-29-2008, 10:01 PM
If you go shopping for a router table to make a few moldings and come home with a seven head molder that fills the entire shop, then you may have gone too far. If you are looking for a circular saw to cut a few sheets of plywood and come home with a new Griggio slider, that might be a tad excessive. But there really is no such thing as too much tool. If you find your self standing in front of something in your shop that seems excessive and you aren't sure how it got there, just expand your aspirations to match!

If you find your self selling a kidney on the black market, withdrawing from a child's college fund or double mortgaging the house to purchase a machine you can't fit or use, you may want to seek counseling....maybe.:D

Peter Quinn: Tool junkie in remission.

Rick Fisher
07-29-2008, 10:52 PM
6 years ago, I bought a cheap mortiser, a cheap 1hp shaper, a cheap planer and a very nice 5hp Cabinet saw which weighs about 400+ pounds.

Today, only the Cabinet Saw remains. I purchased another mortiser, Planer and Shaper but the Cabinet saw is here for the long haul.

My goal is to have enough room for a panel saw one day. If that day comes, the Cabinet Saw will stay on as a dado saw.

When your buying tools, remember that you are probably only buying one. Unless you buy a cheap one, then you will likely be buying another.

I learned from it and replaced them with quality tools. I dont remember what I paid for any of the cheap ones that are now gone.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I think it is prudent to buy the best quality tool that will fit your budget.

Over 30 years ago I bought a house in Bend OR. It had electric baseboard heat and a wood stove. I could see that the wood stove would save on the electric bill. I went to a local logging saw shop and told them I want a good saw not...a homeowners saw...a professional saw that would last me a long time. Well...I can't get parts for my old Mac anymore. Oh..I can get a new chain and bar and sprocket but......I moved to Chicago a 18 months after I bought that saw and the doggone thing sat for nearly 5 years. I moved from Chi-town to Idaho and it's earned it's pay here in elk camp and now for turning blanks. I paid a dear price in 1977. I am glad I did. The guy who sold it to me told me I could put a 30" bar on it and go to work in the timber. Haven't had to do that yet.

It pays to buy the best quality that will fit in your budget even if you have to save and wait for a while.

Rick Fisher
07-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Well, I splurged and got a 5hp, 20" wide Planer with a Helical head cutter.

It was expensive.

History tells me that in 5 years, I wont remember the exact price, it will still run like new, and I will still love it. In 10 years, It will likely be worth what I paid for it new, it will still be a wonderful planer and I will still love it..

I have never regretted buying a bigger unit than I actually needed. Once the wallet shock is gone, you are stuck with a fantastic tool.

John Schreiber
07-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Either the people on this list are very different from the people I know in person, or there is a large group of people who aren't part of the conversation.

There are an awful lot of people who don't buy the best because they can't justify the cost. I could drop real money for tools, but I would be doing it at the expense of my retirement and my childrens' education. If people do have disposable income to spend, that's great, but I disagree with the message that unless you are buying the best, you are wasting your money.

I've pushed my budget this year and I've spent about $600. I will have a lot of fun in the shop and I will make some nice things. With an investment of about $10,000 in tools, I'm sure I would have less frustration and I could probably do three times the work. But I'd rather have that money invested in stocks and bonds.

If I couldn't start until I could buy quality tools, I just couldn't start.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-29-2008, 11:37 PM
John,

I started my post by saying I thought it was prudent to buy the best quality your budget will allow.

I didn't at any time jeopardize my retirement or my children's education. I didn't start buying woodworking tools other than a circular saw, a cheap Craftsman directdrive t/s, hammer, drill etc until my children were out of the house. And after the youngest graduated from college, we had no college debts.

Charles P. Wright
07-29-2008, 11:46 PM
John,

Great post. I'd also like to add, that in my opinion,even if a tool is at the low-end of a category, having that low-end tool that is the right class of tool for the job can be very useful. Trying to force your a limited set tools to do a job that they aren't really the best for can be frustrating and you can't always wait to get the better ones.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-29-2008, 11:58 PM
John....BTW....I'm wishing I didn't have so much wrapped up in the stock market right now. With prices so low it is a buyers market but the stuff I own has sure been taking a beating lately.:o

John Schreiber
07-30-2008, 12:12 AM
John,

I started my post by saying I thought it was prudent to buy the best quality your budget will allow. . . .
No disagreement with you there Ken, but I do get frustrated with people who recommend buying top quality tools, when for most people that is either impossible or unwise.

John....BTW....I'm wishing I didn't have so much wrapped up in the stock market right now. With prices so low it is a buyers market but the stuff I own has sure been taking a beating lately.:oMine is in the tank now too. I just keep reminding myself to think long term. (For the market, I need smiley with clenched teeth and worried eyes.)

Stephen Tashiro
07-30-2008, 1:02 AM
Professionals may buy too much tool, but one principle should be kept in mind by every hobbyist:

THE PURPOSE OF BUYING A TOOL IS POSSESSION, NOT USE

Every hobbyist's workshop should have a large sign with this principle prominently displayed. I have several routers and other woodworking tools, but have never gotten around to making such a sign, partly because of the aforesaid principle.

Jim Broestler
07-30-2008, 1:10 AM
Interesting responses here. I'd say I agree in part with most of them. I think it's usually best to wait until you can buy quality stuff versus, say, HF junk. I also agree that perhaps it's more a matter of wrong tool than too much tool, but going back to my original example (combo sander vs. floor model edge sander), they can often be one and the same. If I'm a hobbyist who maybe sells a few items from time to time, then a nice benchtop combo sander is probably a better idea than a $1500 industrial machine built for production work. In that sense, I have to agree with John. For what I'm doing, it's better to get the lesser machine now and enjoy myself, and, in all honesty, there's nothing to say that I can't use that cheaper sander to help develop some skills and build some stuff to sell, with the intent of taking the profits and investing them in a bigger, better machine when space and demand warrant it.

Let's put it this way (and this is totally a personal rule, so no judgments are being made here about anyone else's policy): if I have to charge over $200 to buy it, then I'm probably better off saving up for it. If nothing else, it checks that impulse mentality as I'm standing there in the store drooling, giving me a chance to be honest with myself as to whether or not I really need it. I've found myself amazingly able to do quality work with what I already have once I've had a couple days to get away from the showroom tool lust.

Steve Nouis
07-30-2008, 5:54 AM
In my shop my edge sander get the most use after the table saw. Steve

Don Bullock
07-30-2008, 8:27 AM
There are an awful lot of people who don't buy the best because they can't justify the cost. I could drop real money for tools, but I would be doing it at the expense of my retirement and my childrens' education. If people do have disposable income to spend, that's great, but I disagree with the message that unless you are buying the best, you are wasting your money.

I've pushed my budget this year and I've spent about $600. I will have a lot of fun in the shop and I will make some nice things. With an investment of about $10,000 in tools, I'm sure I would have less frustration and I could probably do three times the work. But I'd rather have that money invested in stocks and bonds.

Very well said John. You're at the point in life where planning your financial future is much more important than having the "best" tools. Having fun doing what you want to do along the way is important as well. It sounds like you are so that's great.

As for the OP -- No, I haven't had a case where I've bought too much tool. I have, however outgrown, my present shop that is 1/2 of a two car garage due to my tool purchases in the last couple of years. Yes, if I can ever get the building permit issued, I'll have a larger shop in the future. There have been many times in the past where I bought less tool than I should have and have regretted those purchases. But, as John said, there are times when the future of one's family are more important than tools. When I bought the lesser tool it was all that I could possibly afford at the time.

Jack Hutchinson
07-30-2008, 9:59 AM
John - don't jump from quality to expensive too quickly. I recently bought a Bosch barrel grip jig saw on advice here and reviews elsewhere. ~$150. It isn't a Festool. It's a great tool. I think the point people are making is that there are tools sold which are miserable to work with - not that we all need a CNC-equipped shop. Where we have regrets it was due to buying tools that we soon replaced because they were ineffective or broke down. That's true on any budget.

Generally we're saying it pays to research, budget, choose carefully. Only a few of us can afford all (or any of) the really high-end (expensive) stuff.

Tim Byars
07-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Leaving aside the budget and space questions, the OP's question intrigues me because of my feeling that I've "grown into" every tool I've owned. A quality tool gives me more potential long-term upside, in ways that I don't even necessarily foresee.
But, then, I'm so new to most of this I'm still on the steep part of the learning curve. Sometimes I think, "well, now I wish I'd waited and purchased a premium tablesaw instead of my HD Ridgid"...but without having a year's worth of experience on it, I wouldn't know what I was doing, or what I was missing (and, honestly, there's no way my skills are anywhere near having "outgrown" it). Then there's my bandsaw, for which I DID wait and save, spending time reading and whatnot...not premium by many people's standards (Steel City 14") but lots of room for me to grow into. I've only had it a couple months, but using it has opened my eyes to lots of techniques, projects, and other possibilities that I didn't specifically have in mind when I bought it.

John Shuk
07-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Actually I read an article in WOODSHOP NEWS that talked about hobbiest vs Pros. They said that the hobbiest spends much more on tools than the pros do. A pro wwker needs to make a profit and is likely to buy enough tool to get by and still turn a profit. If a more expensive tool can add production and profit then it can be justified.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-30-2008, 12:45 PM
To make plant stands you really do need a $1500 sander

A $3000.00 band saw and a $20,000.00 sliding TS are absolutely required too.

Oh I forgot you absolutely need a 12" or larger jointer and at least that for a planer.

And trying to get along without a full size slot mortiser is - well don't even bother.

Then you can't run all that equipment without the $5000.00 DC

These are the bare minimum essentials mid you.

Later when you progress to the plant containers themselves you'll need a Martin saw and maybe a Streibig. along with a radial arm drill press.

jim oakes
07-30-2008, 2:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shuk http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=898639#post898639)
Actually I read an article in WOODSHOP NEWS that talked about hobbiest vs Pros. They said that the hobbiest spends much more on tools than the pros do. A pro wwker needs to make a profit and is likely to buy enough tool to get by and still turn a profit. If a more expensive tool can add production and profit then it can be justified.

I can see this in my case. I was a pro from 1971 to 1986. I only bought the tools I could justify to turn a profit. Now I have a hobby shop and can afford any machine I want,but It's still hard for me to justify buying "to much tool".
The key to me is satisfaction. I could sleep good at night as a pro when I made good money and paid cash for all my machines.
Now I sleep good knowing I can build anything I want with the tools I own.
Yes,when I play around with a massive cast iron machine in a showroom I say to myself " I would love to own this some day" but am I a tool collector or woodworker? I guess today I'm a little of both.

It would be satisfying to have a huge heavy bandsaw. Maybe soon. I guess I'll sleep on it.(No,I won't turn it on first that would be dangerous.)

Jim Broestler
07-30-2008, 2:30 PM
To make plant stands you really do need a $1500 sander

A $3000.00 band saw and a $20,000.00 sliding TS are absolutely required too.

Oh I forgot you absolutely need a 12" or larger jointer and at least that for a planer.

And trying to get along without a full size slot mortiser is - well don't even bother.

Then you can't run all that equipment without the $5000.00 DC

These are the bare minimum essentials mid you.

Later when you progress to the plant containers themselves you'll need a Martin saw and maybe a Streibig. along with a radial arm drill press.

And for the gumball machines I make, I'm thinking a 30" wide belt sander at the bargain price of only $50,000 is a must-have.

Verne Mattson
07-30-2008, 3:05 PM
I've enjoyed this thread. I've not had the good fortune to buy too much machine...I've bought what I needed to get the job done...lunchbox planer, contractors' saw, small 6" jointer, Delta 14" bandsaw with riser (actually a gift from my wife). I've tuned everything to the best of my ability and I enjoy using all my tools, especially the bandsaw. And since I added a Biesemeyer fence to the tablesaw, it's done everything I've asked.

My calculus has always included lugging machinery to my basement shop. I've seen some nice prices on used Unisaws, but I can't really justify it right now, nor would I want to take it apart and lug it downstairs.

If I were to buy a top notch industrial level machines or machine, right now I think it'd be a combo jointer/planer. I don't enjoy dimensioning wood - I hate the snipe on my old Delta lunchbox planer and the bed on my jointer is too short. A nice combo machine would be great.

I have bought too much tool in the way of handtools, though. I'm a sucker for fine planes...

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-30-2008, 4:25 PM
And for the gumball machines I make, I'm thinking a 30" wide belt sander at the bargain price of only $50,000 is a must-have.

Absolutely~!!

Steve Clardy
07-30-2008, 4:39 PM
Interesting thread....

I've always bought what was within my budget, what got the job done, and hope it lasts long enough till I croak and the wife can auction everything off :eek: with it all still being presentable and usable.

Yes I've bought some cheaper stuff, and regretted it. But it wasn't machinery.

Brian Kent
03-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Balance is a virtue. Budgets are real. Space is real. Keep it simple, buy what you need, and then make sure each purchase is a "lifer". I listen to other people's advice not to be convinced to buy the most expensive and expansive, but to find the sweet spots.

Stephen Edwards
03-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Too much tool???? That's like saying Too Big of a TV. It just isn't possible.:D

With all due respect, that's not a comparison that I can relate to! Though I like large tools.........I wouldn't have a large TV in my home if someone gave it to me. 'Course, I rarely watch TV.

glenn bradley
04-01-2009, 12:04 AM
:D
With all due respect, that's not a comparison that I can relate to! Though I like large tools.........I wouldn't have a large TV in my home if someone gave it to me. 'Course, I rarely watch TV.

I also haven't had TV for the last decade or so but I do watch movies that LOML rents at her place. A guy who worked for me had a TV so big you couldn't watch it; his room wasn't big enough to let you get that far away. It was worse than the front row at the theatre. This would be like putting a full blown multi-machine in a 10 x 15 basement, eh? :D:D

J. Z. Guest
04-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Well, for me, it was simpler.

I bought a (then) top of the line Makita 12 V drill.

It lasted until the batteries were starting to go, at which point I sold it on CL and bought my current Ryobi 18 V Lithium.

The Makita was used hard for 5 years and never broke a sweat. So rather than spend Makita money again, I thought I'd go down a level and see how I fared. I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Bob Luciano
04-01-2009, 1:40 AM
Working on it. I suggest you buy high quality used on the larger tools. Time to sell you won't lose much if anything.
If you were pro would have to say you probably couldn't afford to wait for used and with the tax write off new might cost less.

Michael Schwartz
04-01-2009, 3:34 AM
Think about it this way, if you buy a tool that is inadequate, you will either continue to use it at a loss of productivity, or you will take a loss on it, sell it, and buy what you needed all along.

So paying more to get a better tool than you need will more than likely save you money.

If woodworking is a hobby for you get nice tools. Stay away from junk brands or tools made for consumers who use them once (black and decker etc...) If you have the time get some older machinery and fix it up. Most of the time it is better than most new equipment.

If your a professional cheap or undersized tools will only cost you money.

Pete Shermet
04-01-2009, 7:12 AM
Go big or go home! (Within reason,) I''d like one of those table saw jointer planer combo's SMC or Felder I think, but I don't have the room you will regret buying an underpowered underspec'd machine.
Regards
Pete

Doug Shepard
04-01-2009, 7:22 AM
Face it. When it comes to bigger better tools, most of us are like deer in the headlights and I suspect it's been that way since Ogg lusted after that nicer piece of flint, Binford 2000 Atlatl, and HVLP cave painting airbrush. It's in our genes.:D

Rich Engelhardt
04-01-2009, 7:36 AM
Hello,

Ever bought too much tool?
Frequently.
I doubt anyone alive hasn't at more than a few times bought "more" simply because they felt it would be better.

I've also managed a few time to resist the urge to splurge and have gone a more sensible route.

Latest?

A $44.00 Starrett job site protractor.
Nice tool. Very nice tool.
The $4.97 plastic protrator I picked up at Lowes is also a nice tool.
It's every bit as accurate as the Starrett.
'course I didn't know that until after I verified it with the Starrett ;).

Bottom line - few regrets on either. I'll use the cheapie for everyday use, and when/if it gets chewed up, I'll replace it w/another - and check it against the Starrett.

Brian Kent
04-01-2009, 9:59 AM
One big part of the discussion - are you talking about cash or credit?

If you save up for a great tool, super! If you put it on a credit card (Without paying it off each month) you have to consider what you will spend on that tool month after month, year after year, in interest that keeps you from more purchases and peace of mind in the future.

Scott Wigginton
04-01-2009, 11:10 AM
The '81 craftsman/belsaw planer I got mondya night might qualify, turns out it has a 5 HP motor and the manual calls for a 40 Amp breaker. Well my entire shop is run off a 40 Amp subpanel :eek:

Here's hoping that is just build in overhead on startup and it runs around 20 so i can run my DC at the same time.

Other than that maybe, just maybe, my 35 HP Diesel tractor with front end loader and backhoe (to go alongside our '39 Ford 9N which does the bush hogging). So far I've only used it to move a large dirt pile, spread some gravel and clear out a 200' ditch, but that day, many years from now, when I go to add onto the house I'll be able to dig my own footers and trench my utilities (only waiting on sewer!) :rolleyes:

But if we ever have a tractor pull I might be able to beat some of my neighbors now :D

Joe Jensen
04-01-2009, 12:14 PM
I'll share a funny story. I've been an avid WW for 30 years. About 15 years ago one of the top Intel execs decided to do WW. I knew him a little socially and he knew that I was a WW. He ask for advice on what router to buy. We talked about what he was going build, if we was going to have only 1 router, or more than one, etc. After several conversations he decided to get a 3HP PC router. I forget the model number, but it was the one before the 7518, the first really big router. I bought one for him and when he came to pick it up, he just stared at it for like 30 seconds :eek:

I asked if it were too large, and he said no, and quickly left. 6 months later I was at his house and I saw the router unused on a bench.

BTW, his kind of wealth and wacky nature led him to build a custom house around a workshop before he knew he really liked WW. He had an 8,000 sq ft house with a 3,000 workshop in the middle of the house. The house had two bedrooms. A 2,000 sq ft master, and a 54 sq ft closet with a prison style bed in it and a bare light bulb with a pull chain on the ceiling. The not so thinly veiled message was, "I don't want guests". When I asked about possible resale value, he mumbled that it was something his heirs would have to worry about. I estimated that back then he had over $400M in Intel stock so I guess he didn't have to worry much.

Cary Falk
04-01-2009, 12:56 PM
If overbuying is defined as a tool that you will grow into but never out grow, than I am guilty. I upgraded from a contractor saw to a Unisaw and an 8" jointer from a 6". I will probably upgrade to a 15" planer and an edge sander is on my list also. I will buy something which will be the last tool I buy within my budget. A lot of my tool budget comes from side jobs. Did my previous tools do the job before I upgraded them? Yes they did. For me the tools are about as much of the experience as woodworking itself. I also don't get to spend that much time in the shop and I want it to be as stress free and fun as possible. Messing with fussy tools is not on my agenda anymore.

Now will I ever buy a 52" wide belt sander or a 10 HP cyclone? It's not likely. My income prevents that. I think that is a good guage for me at least. If I can afford it and enjoy using it then it is not too big of tool.

Gary Herrmann
04-01-2009, 1:41 PM
He had an 8,000 sq ft house with a 3,000 workshop in the middle of the house.

Now I don't suppose you have access to any pics of the shop, do you Joe? I'll bet it's a sight to see.

Wonder if he's still wwing.

Jeff Willard
04-01-2009, 3:57 PM
One of the first things I did when I bought my 66, was to rip some pen blanks on it. Then I turned the pens on a Conover, blocked up to swing 20".:D BTW, does anybody know of a source for a pen mandrel based on a #3 morse taper?:rolleyes: FWIW, I have maxed out the swing on the lathe.