View Full Version : This was my project for this last Weekend.

Joshua Dinerstein
07-28-2008, 11:20 PM
I posted a thread a few hours ago about what I had been working on when my spindle gouge decided not to work and play well with others. So here it is... my first ever Goblet. I had seen a few turned on TV and one, sort of, on a Raffan video from the local library and I wanted to give it a try.

Even better this is my first piece of found wood. I was at the local sprinkler supply store this last summer/fall when I was putting in my yard and they were taking down a decent sized small tree and running it through a chipper. Such a TRAVESHAMOCKERY! So I asked if I could have it and well clearly they said yes. So I have no idea what kind of a tree it was but I got the fun of peeling the bark off and turning it into something useful/pretty. Well at least not too ugly. ;) Pretty cool how the red interior and so much grain came out once I got in past the quite white sap wood.

The base is too darn large but by then I was having troubles stay away from the chuck I had it gripped in and I just decided to finish it as was rather than risk live and limb. I will just be more careful on the next one. :)

So what do you think for a first time time and a first time spindle turn?

Joshua

David Walser
07-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Very nicely done! I can picture this on the table in some middle-ages monastery. It has smooth, graceful, lines. Yet, it looks like it could be ancient. Me like.

Richard Madison
07-29-2008, 1:21 AM
Joshua, Quite nice indeed, and good save on some very pretty wood! Hope you got some more of it.

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2008, 9:32 AM
Nice goblet Joshua! Looks like it would have been fun to turn! Pretty wood - what are you going to finish it with?

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2008, 9:33 AM
Joshua that is a great looking goblet. Nice save on the wood.

Joshua Dinerstein
07-29-2008, 1:16 PM
Joshua, Quite nice indeed, and good save on some very pretty wood! Hope you got some more of it.

I do actually. I have a 6 foot piece that is nicely anchor sealed on both ends and a 2 more 1' pieces that where near this one. Some of it I will have to cut as it spit right now the middle. But a small natural edged bowl as a test could be lots and lots of fun to try here in the next few days.

Joshua

Joshua Dinerstein
07-29-2008, 1:19 PM
Nice goblet Joshua! Looks like it would have been fun to turn! Pretty wood - what are you going to finish it with?

That is an excellent question Steve. What would you recommend?

For this one I used some walnut oil and a bit of bees wax. Makes it not useful in drinking but this one was mostly an attempt at the form and to see if I could rescue it after all the spindle gouge failures.

So what would one finish a "glass" to actually drink out of? In about 9 months I have my 1 year anniversary and isn't that the wood anniversary? It brings so many great possibilities to mind! :)

Thanks,
Joshua

Paul Engle
07-29-2008, 2:30 PM
Nice piece of work Joshua , I think 6th year is the wood year for anniversaries( wedding type).

Joshua Dinerstein
07-29-2008, 3:28 PM
Nice piece of work Joshua , I think 6th year is the wood year for anniversaries( wedding type).

Interesting. Looking here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_anniversary

I found that it is infact the 5th wedding anniversary. But paper? Honestly... Isn't that made of wood? :) So a bowl is just very rigid, very thick paper.

Joshua