PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this wood?

Chris Padilla
04-27-2004, 10:42 AM
I'll post later the story behind this very special wood I received from a truly kind woodworker (is there any other kind??).

In the meantime, have a stab at what kind of wood you think this is. I received quarter-, rift-, and flatsawn boards so you have a chance to see the tree all around.

Good Luck! :D

Sparky Paessler
04-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Catalpa????

Donnie Raines
04-27-2004, 12:05 PM
I have some cherry that looks just like that...but that would be to easy.. :p

Donnie Raines

Chris Padilla
04-27-2004, 12:21 PM
This wood is considered a domestic although it may be available domestically outside the US for all I know. :)

So, Sparky and Donnie...you're both incorrect! :p

Ted Calver
04-27-2004, 12:32 PM
How about Locust??

Rob Littleton
04-27-2004, 12:40 PM
I call it MINE!!!!

Nice wood dude.........

Donnie Raines
04-27-2004, 12:43 PM
one more time..

how about Carpathian Elm?

Donnie

Bruce Page
04-27-2004, 1:04 PM
How about Ash?

Chris Padilla
04-27-2004, 1:48 PM
Nice work, Donnie! I don't know about the Carpathian part but it is Elm. :)

This elm is from The Oval at Colorado State University located in Fort Collins, CO. The Oval is named due to the shape of the street and at one end is the main administration building for the university. The center street of The Oval is line with 25-30 old elm trees that have mostly succumbed to the dreaded Dutch Elm disease. There is still no cure for this disease.

Thankfully, the wood has been cut, air-dried, and milled and will be used to build furnture for the Admin building. A gentlemen on here heard me chatting about this and offered to send me some. He has the pleasure of building the furniture that is being designed by a bunch of graduate students.

I received my bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering from CSU in 1995 so this wood is quite special to me. I think a frame for my dipolma is in order! :)

Donnie Raines
04-27-2004, 2:36 PM
Chris,

Thats a neat little bit of "history" there. I always enjoy working with lumber that has a story to it...somehow it makes "whatever" just a little more special.

By the way...are you going to show me a little love and share a baord with me since I "got it right"????? :D :D

Donnie Raines

John Miliunas
04-27-2004, 2:46 PM
That's really cool, Chris! I'd say a frame for your diploma would be very appropriate! Nice score. :cool:

Dave Richards
04-27-2004, 4:19 PM
Carpathian Elm? Isn't that what the seats were made of in that car that Ricardo Montalban advertised? :D

Alan Turner
04-27-2004, 5:19 PM
Chris,
Don't know if you have ever worked Elm before, but get ready for the nose plugs when you cut it on the TS. Smells like you know what (or soon will).
Alan

Chris Padilla
04-27-2004, 5:22 PM
Alan,

You said the same thing about Zebrawood! Your olfactory prowess must be extra sensitive or something! :D

I have not worked Elm before...this will be my first. The striped quartersawn pieces are pretty cool.

Dick Parr
04-27-2004, 6:04 PM
Very nice Chris, make sure you show us pictures of the finish project!

John Miliunas
04-27-2004, 9:33 PM
Carpathian Elm? Isn't that what the seats were made of in that car that Ricardo Montalban advertised? :D

LMAO! :D :D :D Great timing, Dave! I really needed that! :cool:

Jim Schmoll
04-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Chris,
Most of my house is trimed in Elm from the CA Stae Capitol grounds. I will post some PICs this weekend. Looks great with just a natural oil finnish. Don't try to stain it for color matching, it will only take away from the soft hews of brown. Just finnished two raised pannel Elm interior doors that I need to put a finnish on first. DUSTY to work with.

Jim from Idyllwild CA :cool:

Chris Padilla
04-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Sounds nice, Jim. Elm isn't one of those popular woods you hear much about although the American Elm became one of the most popular trees planted across the neighborhood streets of America. This disease has been a terrible tragedy.