PDA

View Full Version : My First Cane!

Greg Cuetara
07-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Well I finally turned my first long piece. I have a delta mini so I had to built a small extension off the end so that I could turn a cane. It is almost 36" long. I made the extension out of some pine and it worked ok but not something that I would want to turn on every day.

I bought the head piece and brass tip from Craft Supplies. It was a fun project and a nice gift for my Mother's Birthday.

Here is a closeup of the head piece.

I started the finish process sanding with 220, to 320 then to 400. I turned to EEE and then shellawax. Not sure if I quite figured out the shellawax finish just yet but I figure I will get there.

It is fairly plane jane but that is what my Mother wanted.

Any comments or critiques are appreciated.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Looks great to me Greg!

I want to turn a 2-piece walking stick for a friend. I plan on ordering the parts from CSUSA.

David Walser
07-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Congrats, Greg. I turned a cane for my father-in-law when I first started turning. There's something satisfying about producing an item that will be used everyday. Your mom will be proud and so should you.

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2008, 9:41 AM
Nice work Greg! Good looking cane and I am sure it is appreciated! Looks like a good project as we always seem to need one - lately!

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Great looking cane. It will be appreciated.

robert hainstock
07-29-2008, 5:18 PM
That is a great choice for a handle. I have made several, and would suggest avoiding the duck. as it is very uncomfortable to the hand. :)
Bob

Bill Wyko
07-29-2008, 6:36 PM
Great job. My dad was just allowed to park the walker and go to using a caine. I'll have to try one of these for him. Thanks for posting.

Toney Robertson
07-29-2008, 8:33 PM
Looks nice Greg.

A friend of my wife's says she wants one and I have not taken the time to do it. Your post may just inspire me to do it.

Toney

Greg Cuetara
07-29-2008, 9:40 PM
Thanks for the comments. It was a fairly easy project and one that I enjoyed considering it is going to my mother.
She picked out the handle and I think that made the project go a little easier. I also had a 1 1/5" square x 36" long piece of mahogany kicking around that I didn't know what to do with it so it work out well on all ends.
Greg

Dewey Torres
07-30-2008, 1:17 AM
Great job. My dad was just allowed to park the walker and go to using a caine. I'll have to try one of these for him. Thanks for posting.

Sorry to thread steal a bit here, but that is great news to hear your dad is walking again Bill!

Nice job on the cane Greg!