PDA

View Full Version : carved lidded boxes

Bill Bolen
07-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Trying a few embellishments on some of my boxes. The Cherry box is 4” X 4 3/4” with a few coats of antique oil waiting to cure. The Spalted maple box is 3 1/2X 3 ˝ with 4 coats of wipe on poly buffed and waxed. The Maple box was first and I think the lid with the flower is a bit too tall and the flower a bit small? The proportions on the Cherry box seem a bit more pleasing. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!…Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
07-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Looks really good William! While both of the boxes are striking - I have to admit I prefer the carving on the cherry. To me the size of the flower seems more in proportion to the size of the box. Very nice carving by the way! I also notice the little detail ring seperating the flower from the edge of the lid - nice touch!

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to your next post!

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2008, 10:56 PM
William those are some great looking pieces. I to like the cherry as the carving seems more pleasing to my eye. Well done.

David Walser
07-29-2008, 12:28 AM
William, I prefer the maple box (but wouldn't complain if you were to send either my way). That may be because I'm partial to the spalting and the grain match is excellent (and very noticeable on the maple box). I do prefer the proportions and the carving on the cherry box. For me it's a close call and on balance I prefer the maple.