PDA

View Full Version : Motor oil spilled on tools

Brian Janish
07-28-2008, 9:18 PM
How does motor oil get along with electric motors? Why am I asking? Well...

...this weekend I went to change the oil in one of the vehicles and discovered that a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 had leaked from the wall cabinet above onto several power tools below. There was still quite a bit of oil left in the jug, maybe 1/2 full, but that still leaves well over 2qts that leaked out.

Unfortunately I had several things on the countertop below the cabinet

- Ridgid OSS
- Delta bench grinder
- Delta belt/disc combo sander (SA180)
- Delta scroll saw
- Delta "el cheapo" sharpener

The Ridgid OSS only had oil on the feet, some on the side and a little on the table top, not too bad. The scroll saw fared pretty good as well. The grinder and sharpener required some intensive effort, but the motors are protected and they were cleaned up pretty easily. Unfortunately the belt/disc sander got covered pretty good. Oil definitely got all over it, even inside the motor. It was as if you poured a quart of oil directly over the top of it. I think this was ground zero for the spill. I spent about an hour taking things apart, wiping it down, etc. But there is a lot of spots that are hard to reach especially in the motor.

I will admit I am hesitant to plug it in, I don't need to spontaneously combust. I do not want the motor to start a fire, is this possible? What else can I do to get this up and running? I bought this thing about 4 years ago during a Lowe's clearance sale for something ridiculous like $30 or something and have to admit that I've been pretty darn pleased with it. I would hate to see it go.

Dennis Lopeman
07-28-2008, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't try it!! Oil does catch on fire...

Think of this: do you have a gas grill? Maybe a friend does. How do they start that thing??? Yup - a little electirc spark ignites the gas from the push of a button (or a double AA battery (1.5Volts I think), if you have the "upscale" model!)

Oil : not AS flamable as gas... but still flammable...

Electic motor: 110 V (or is 220V? i posted this response without thouroughly reading just in case you were waiting for answer and were about to take it upon yourself...)

need I say more???

Mike Henderson
07-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Normally, the oil will not cause any problems. But just to be sure, take them outside and plug them in one at a time. The only danger I can think of - and it's remote - is fire from the sparking of the brushes. But oil has a high flash point. Once you run them a bit, the oil should flush out from the effects of the cooling fan.

Long ago, motors used to have bearings that had to be oiled. Eventually, the oil got all over everything. I never heard of a motor catching fire from that but it could have happened.

Mike

Dennis Lopeman
07-28-2008, 10:26 PM
OK - so this guys sounds like he knows more than me on the subject!!! :)

I'm just going on gut here!!

SO - take it outside to try - just like he suggests... but get a REALLY long extension cord... and stand far away when you plug 'er in!!!

LOL

Good luck...

Steve Clardy
07-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Just let them drip out for a few days, then plug them in.

Brian Janish
07-28-2008, 10:40 PM
thanks guys! I'll work on it some more next weekend, make sure the fire extinguisher is handy, move everything out to the driveway and let it rip.

Denny Rice
07-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Brian,

I have been a RV mechanic for years and if I threw out every electric tool that got a little oil on the inside I would be in trouble. If it were me, I would go to an automobile parts supply store (NAPA or Autozone and purchase a couple of cans of "Electronic Cleaner" NAPA's part # is 4710. This is a cleaner which will remove oil, grease, dirt, ect. from electronic components and tools, it will not harm plastic and when it dries it will not leave any residue. This stuff is flammable when it comes out the can wet, but if you use it to clean the inside and outside of tools it will dry completely and will not catch fire. Just follow instructions on back of can and DO NOT ENTERGIZE TOOL WHILE APPLING CLEANER! The most important thing is to allow the product to dry. I have used this product on armatures and brushes of 110V and 12V drills with no problems. Hope this helps.

Dennis Lopeman
07-29-2008, 2:10 PM
well - I liked my gas grill analogy!!

:)

I will have to remember that NAPA cleaner trick!!

Rod Sheridan
07-29-2008, 2:40 PM
The oil may damage the insulation on the magnet wire inside the motor.

In addition, the oil will attract dust which may jam the centrifugal starting switch (assuming it's an induction motor), and the dust and dirt that sticks to oily windings will eventually cause winding failures.

The motor needs a good cleaning, ask a motor repair shop in your area for a reccomendation on cleaning solution.

On large motors we use a detergent solution, followed by a hot water rinse, then a rinse with distilled water and oven drying. (This is for the stator once the motor has been taken apart).

Regards, Rod.

Lee Schierer
07-30-2008, 4:18 PM
Brian,

I have been a RV mechanic for years and if I threw out every electric tool that got a little oil on the inside I would be in trouble. If it were me, I would go to an automobile parts supply store (NAPA or Autozone and purchase a couple of cans of "Electronic Cleaner" NAPA's part # is 4710. This is a cleaner which will remove oil, grease, dirt, ect. from electronic components and tools, it will not harm plastic and when it dries it will not leave any residue. This stuff is flammable when it comes out the can wet, but if you use it to clean the inside and outside of tools it will dry completely and will not catch fire. Just follow instructions on back of can and DO NOT ENTERGIZE TOOL WHILE APPLING CLEANER! The most important thing is to allow the product to dry. I have used this product on armatures and brushes of 110V and 12V drills with no problems. Hope this helps. Yep, this is a good idea. Also if your tool has replaceable brushes, take them out and clean them and the holders they fit into, otherwise the brushes may stick and give you grief later on.

Gary Muto
07-31-2008, 8:29 AM
I agree with Mike, the hazard is remote. I thought Denny gave some really good advise. Did he mention that you should use flammable cleaners outside?
Maybe even try to blow out the motor with compressed air before and after using the cleaner too... that should be a little messy.