PDA

View Full Version : I've been "Schlumpfed!"

Robert McGowen
07-28-2008, 7:26 PM
During some down time from turning, I made a vacuum pump cart from the plans that Steve Schlumpf posted here. While I am sure that everyone added their own little touches when making this (I did!), I found the plans gave you a very good understanding of what was needed to use a vacuum chuck. I also used the adapter from Tom Steyer to attach the pump hose to my lathe. In my opinion, nothing could be simpler or made better than the adapter. This is one of those projects that took a few hours and 3 trips to the BORG, but I could make another one in about an hour with 1 trip to the BORG . I am sure you know how that goes. Thanks for the plans, Steve!

Picture #1 is the back of the cart. It has the pump, exhaust and intake filter, and a wall mounted hose bracket that doubles as a handle and a holder for the extension cord and pump hose. Picture #2 is a closeup of the back of the cart.

Picture #3 is the front of the cart. You can turn the pump on and off with the switch, adjust the pressure with the bleed off valve, and read the actual pressure coming through the chuck with the gauge.

Picture #4 is a closeup of the bleed off valve and gauge.

Picture #5 is the valve with the pump turned on and the hose plugged with my thumb at the end of the lathe adapter. As you can tell, the Schlumpf cart really sucks! :D

Steve Schlumpf
07-28-2008, 7:32 PM
Robert - congrats on getting your system up and running! You are pulling a lot of hgs - very nice! You are going to love how easy it is now to finish off the bottom of bowls and hollow forms! Be sure to watch how many hgs you are pulling (I use around 20 hg) cause I sure wouldn't want you to implode a turning!

Great looking system!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-28-2008, 7:52 PM
Excellent Robert! As Steve suggested...now you have to worry about bowls and HFs exploding while turning and imploding while turning off the foot.:rolleyes:

Tom Steyer
07-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Your system looks great Robert! You made quick work of getting it together. Happy sucking!

Tom

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2008, 9:34 AM
Robert looks great. You will love it for finishing the bottoms of pieces.

robert hainstock
07-29-2008, 5:22 PM
For a minute there I thought I was back in Steve's shop. Nice job ton the system. You'r4e going to love it.:)
Bob