PDA

View Full Version : Trying new things NE footed bowl

Bill Bolen
07-28-2008, 6:28 PM
I’m trying a few “new”, to me things, with some turnings. The NE bowl is Honey locust that was winter cut. The bark was on “firmly” but I had the lathe speed too high and I guess the centrifugal force threw it off. So I used and old soldering iron and burned the edge. I tried carving the feet on this bowl rather than the normal circular base. I think it works with this form quite well. I must admit it took me as long to carve the feet out as it did to turn the bowl! But… I’m an old guy! Honey locust NE 7 ¼” X 2 ½” high….Bill..

Mark Hix
07-28-2008, 6:46 PM
It's a beautiful bowl and I really like the feet.

robert hainstock
07-28-2008, 7:25 PM
A year from now only you will know Bill. It looks realy fine to me.:):)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
07-28-2008, 7:56 PM
William - that's a very nice looking NE! Really pretty wood with lots of color variations! The burned rim works - also the carved feet really fit this form! So far I would say that trying new things has worked very well for you! Looking forward to seeing what variations you come up with next!

Chris Stolicky
07-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Good job. The feet are a nice touch.

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Great job on the bowl, rim and the feet. I really like the foot idea. Well done.

lynn smith
07-29-2008, 11:04 PM
William,
The form is exquisite, the wood is spectacular, the feet are absolutely awesome, they were worth the time you spent on them.
Not sure I like the glossy finish, just my preference.

Johnny Kleso
07-30-2008, 12:51 AM
I love the shape but eith the pics are just showing to true finish or I'm not diding it to much..

I thik it could or should look better, but the shape is something I wish I could made and think its awesome..

What did your use for a finish?

Wes Henson
07-30-2008, 10:16 AM
I like those feet with the natural edge shape. I've always wondered about burning, a soldering iron seems like a great controlled way to go, I'll have to give it a try.
Very nice overall