PDA

View Full Version : Small Footed Bowl

Steve Schlumpf
07-28-2008, 3:33 PM
Just something a little different for me as I usually don’t do a foot on my bowls or hollow forms. A little color and curl in this bowl and figure it is just the right size for wild blue berries, which we have a ton of in back of my house.

Small maple bowl, 7 ½” diameter x 2 ½” high x ¼” thick. Sanded to 400 grit and has 4 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly. It will get buffed once the finish has a chance to cure a little longer.

93422 93423

As always, your comments, critiques and opinions are welcome and encouraged!

Thanks for looking!

Brian Brown
07-28-2008, 3:42 PM
Very nice Steve! Smooth graceful lines, and an elegant simple form. Also. I'm a fan of footed bowls.

robert hainstock
07-28-2008, 3:50 PM
Boy have we got Berries this year. LOML has already picked enough for a pie and some muffins and hasn't got into the rough yet. By the way, I like this bowl too. You get better with time. :):):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2008, 5:50 PM
Steve that is another beauty. The foot looks good. Yep that will hold a couple of pints of ice cream.:D:D

Mike Vickery
07-28-2008, 7:24 PM
Very nice.

I think your work is starting to look like mine though.

Mike Minto
07-28-2008, 8:22 PM
Steve, wonderful bowl. Nothing wrong with a little variation - I like footed bowls. BTW, my wife loves blueberries - you know, I have some wood - wanna trade?..... Mike :p (I'm looking for some Morels!)

Curt Fuller
07-28-2008, 9:10 PM
Steve I like the bowl, it has your signature nice curve and beautiful workmanship. But to my eyes the foot might look better if it weren't straight up and down. I wonder what a little dovetail taper or even a bead shape would look like. Even an inward taper like some of the late Bob Stocksdale bowls http://www.mintmuseum.org/mason/masonsite/stocksdale.html.

The I look at some of the the Stocksdale bowls and the foot is straight on them. So maybe I'm just seeing things goofy tonight.

Samuel Brooks
07-28-2008, 9:13 PM
Very nice. Now if I can just get up the nerve to try a bowl.

Sam

Steve Schlumpf
07-28-2008, 9:39 PM
Thanks everyone for all the kind words - I do appreciate it!

Curt - when taking the photos I noticed that when I arranged the bwo to get the perspective I wanted - the position tended to hide the foot area a little. This is a blown up area of the foot and hopefully you can notice that it does indeed have a dovetail shape to it. Sorry the original photos didn't highlight that feature.

Toney Robertson
07-29-2008, 8:41 PM
Very nice. Now if I can just get up the nerve to try a bowl.

Sam

Samuel,

Go for it.

Get Bill's DVD's, watch them more than once, grab some wood and tools and have at it.

The bad news is once you start you can't stop.

Toney

lynn smith
07-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Steve,
Dovetail shaped foot looks great.
How is the balance?

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks Lynn! As far balance - the bowl is solid and you would never know it has a small foot. Never been into footed bowls but I do kinda like this one as it lifts the bowl off the table just enough to highlight the curve.