PDA

View Full Version : Amana AGE 10" blades

Matt Ellis
07-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I stopped by a local tool supply place the other day to check out their available blades. They carry Amana blades, which I am not familiar with. I chose a full kerf 40 T ATB blade, (AGE series) and got out the door for right at $40, tax and all. I didn't have a chance to put it on this weekend, but am impressed with the perceived quality so far. I'm looking forward to getting done with my current ripping project so I can install this and see how it runs.

So anyone have any experience with these blades? What about their dado sets? They had a 42-tooth 8" stacked dado with shims and all in a nice blow molded case for $175, which beats the heck out Forrest or the like. I held off on this, for the time being anyway.

John Thompson
07-28-2008, 1:46 PM
I tried an AGE blade once and returned it. But.. before jumping to conclussions it was a 24 T rip blade and they put ATB grind on that blade. That is great for a cross-cut but not a dedicated rip blade. I run several 1000 feet of stock through my TS a month and the ATB simply is not going to get that task done as a flat tooth blade.

But.. the AGE is made in Germany and a step or so under the quality of the regular Amana which is made in Israel. I use two rip blades.. a CMT 24 T for thinner stock (up to 1 1/2") and the Amana Euro 20 T flat for anything above. The regular Amana is about $25 more.

The AGE is a good value blade for the money with less retail and quality than the standard Amana in the cross-cut but I would avoid the rip blade as they designed it wrong, IMO.

Good luck and BTW.. there are many blades out there that are not advertised like some of the names you call house-hold that are superb and without the added price of advertising. Scott Spencer is a blade testing fanactic and perhaps can weigh in here with his observations.

Sarge..

scott spencer
07-28-2008, 3:08 PM
Have never tried an Amana blade of any type Sarge, but you're description sounds accurate from what I understand. Holbren carries them at a good price and offers an SMC discount...

Matt Ellis
07-28-2008, 3:12 PM
sarge,

can you recommend some of the blades that you suggest are good, but cheaper because they do not have the PR that frued/forrest/ridge have?

thanks,

-matt

Charles McCracken
07-28-2008, 4:15 PM
...cheaper because they do not have the PR that frued/forrest/ridge have?

Matt,

I hope this does not seem argumentative, but it sounds like you are asserting that advertising costs increase the retail price above what could be offered without it. While it is technically accurate that those costs are a small part of the price of the product, please keep in mind that for Freud products the advertising increases the market and therefore the quantity produced so the economy of scale reduces the manufacturing costs. The net result is a cost reduction. So while you may find products that are lower in cost than ours you might ask how they can be produced in lower quantities at that price without sacrificing in some way.

John Thompson
07-28-2008, 7:29 PM
Matt... Charlie has made a great point. When I stated there are blades out there that are good without the add on of advertising.. that probably was a bit deceptive even though not intended to be. Frankly.. as Charles stated.. you pretty much get what you pay for.

I simply meant that there are brands that don't pop up on a forum as this on a regular basis that are good as they do little advertising. But that doesn't automatically qualify as cheaper. The Ridge is an excellent example. It is the best 40 T "one blade does it all I have seen". I don't personally think any blade can do it all and switch blades to get a closer match for the task, but that one is the best I have used and I haven't used them all.

Some names you might or might not be familar with.. FS.. Infinity.. General.. Amana.. Tenyru.. and if you go to a professional blade and sharpening shop local if you have one.. you will see a few you definitely have never heard of.

But... it goes back to you get what you pay for. A Ridge is just as expensive as a Freud or Forrest. Tenyru not far behind in price with remaining I mentioned. Freud as Amana has some value blades that are as good as the AGE IMO in the Diablo series. They are not top of line for Freud and offered as a good blade with a limited budget. I used to run a Diablio TK on a smaller TS and it was excellent for what I paid.

So in conclussion and as Charlie stated... there really aren't any great blades out there that you won't pay for the quaility and workman-ship. No hidden treasures I am aware of. But.. I will say I had rather have a cheap blade that is sharp than an expensive and higher quality that is dull.

So.. regardless if you chose to spend for top quality or compromise to keep the price down.. have them sharpened. My local sharpener does a 24T for $7.50 so I keep one on the saw and one in the shop so I always have a sharp blade.

Good luck...

And if you read this Charlie... I'll see you at IWF in a few weeks.

Sarge..

Peter Quinn
07-28-2008, 7:51 PM
I have used Amana euro rip blade and a fine cross cut blade. both work very well. Don't know about the AGE line, but the regular line is great stuff. Never used their dados either. Have used Freud and Forrest, both are good tools. I'd like to try the Freud dial a width next, looks very interesting.

Best combo blade I have used yet is Ridge carbide. Very serious tool in the 40th ATB class. Cost about double the AGE price. I tend to stay away from mid grade or entry level tooling, tends to be a false economy over the long run.

scott spencer
07-28-2008, 7:58 PM
Hi Matt - The best values fluctuate with sale/clearance prices. I look for an appropriate blade for the task first, then find the best sale on the highest quality I can find....sometimes I just buy the bargain out of curiosity. Many of the Freud blades are extremely competitive at regular prices...sale prices can offer some pretty attractive deals. I've purchased the Freud LU84R011 for < $25, original Infinity Super General 010-040 (now called the "General") for under $40, Forrest WWII 30 and 40T for < $60, Ridge Carbide TS2000 for < $60, DeWalt DW7657 for ~ $20, Tenryu Gold Medal for ~ $55, CMT Hi-ATB blade for < $30, and Leitz/Irwin rippers for $10, and many more. There are a few lines that are more value oriented than others that represent good bang for the buck...blades like Oshlun, Tenyru's Rapid Cut, DeWalt's PT series, Ridgid Titanium, and Porter Cable's Razor come to mind as being blades that are worth the price without going top shelf.

Watch Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon, Holbren, Hart Tool, Rockler, Woodcraft, Infinity, Sears, Lowes, and the Member Classifieds and Hot Deals sections of wwing forums.

Tom Walz
07-29-2008, 11:52 AM
SystiMatic blades – from the new SystiMatic – wood magazine top value

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/level2store/SystiMaticblades/Emily/general_purpose.htm

For a real value try our special import. It cuts like a $30 or $40 blade. Starts at $15 for one.

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/level2store/Reallygoodcheapblades/page6.html

For overlooked values in saw blades try buying custom blades. These are high value blades for people that want more value than is typically put in a retail blade.