PDA

View Full Version : Windows Registry Hackers - Anyway to make IE Always start maximized ??

Doug Shepard
07-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Does anyone know of a registry setting that will make IE always start with a maximized window? On my work machine there are a number of poorly written internal sites that insist on starting up at a fixed size which I then have to expand. The shutdown order of multiple IE instances affects how the next day's startup are going to launch. So is there a way to make all IE instances launch with a maximized window?

Just one more happy MS user:mad:

Bill Arnold
07-28-2008, 11:44 AM
I found this with a quick Google:
http://www.computerfreetricks.com/2007/12/16/maximize-windows-or-internet-explorer-on-opening/

Bob Moyer
07-28-2008, 1:51 PM
Does anyone know of a registry setting that will make IE always start with a maximized window? On my work machine there are a number of poorly written internal sites that insist on starting up at a fixed size which I then have to expand. The shutdown order of multiple IE instances affects how the next day's startup are going to launch. So is there a way to make all IE instances launch with a maximized window?

Just one more happy MS user:mad:

This worked for me using the shift key vs control key

Problem: When Internet Explorer opens it can range in size anywhere from that of a postage stamp to almost filling the screen. Clicking the maximize button works for that particular window but the next time you open IE the same situation repeats.

Solution: The default behavior for Internet Explorer is to open at the same size it was at the last time it was closed. While the default does apply in many cases it's not always consistent. Try the following workaround.

Open a single Internet Explorer window to the smaller size.
Drag the corners of the window until it completely fills the screen. Do not use the maximize button to enlarge the window.
Hold down the Ctrl key, keep it depressed, and using the mouse click File and then Exit on the menu bar. Do not use the "X" in the upper right corner to close the window.
Internet Explorer should now open in a full window.
If it still opens to a smaller size repeat the above instructions, substituting the "Shift" key for the "Ctrl" key.

Tom Veatch
07-28-2008, 2:24 PM
Does anyone know of a registry setting that will make IE always start with a maximized window? ...

I found the other suggestions worked well for the primary IE window, but for me, this (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1206404,00.asp) cured the problem for secondary windows, i.e., those opened from desktop shortcuts.

Peter Stahl
07-28-2008, 2:44 PM
Doug,

What works for me is to Right click on the Shortcut Icon and select Properties. At the Dropdown menu next to Run: select Maximized then click OK. make sure no IE windows are open. I usually use Firefox and my IE icon is in Taskbar. You can use this for most Shortcut Icons, I use it for FF, Windows Explorer, Excel and many others.

Ron Dunn
07-28-2008, 6:31 PM
Which version of IE are you running? It is supposed to retain the last setting for your window.

* Start IE
* Maximise the window
* Open a link in a new window (ie, right-click the link, choose "Open in new window"
* Maximise the new window
* Close the new window
* Close the original window

The next time you use IE, both the main window and subsequent windows should open maximised.