PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
07-28-2008, 7:45 AM
28 July 2008

Good Morning,

This weekend was a hot one and yes, I know that we don't compare to the "dry heat" bunch out in AZ, but the heat combined with the humidity here makes it difficult. We've had to start getting up earlier and working outside while it's cool and then we don't venture out again until after supper time. Have I mentioned lately that I'm ready for Fall?

The day job has been keeping me busier than ever and family medical has kept the rest of my time "occupied". It will get better....in time.

During our local travels, I've been looking around for potential firewood. I haven't really came across much, but with what time I have, I really haven't had time to go and cut any either.

The LOML and my oldest son made it back from Alabama last night and it is GOOD to have everyone home. Well, I'm stopping here as it's time to go sit on the front porch with the LOML and drink a fresh cup of coffee!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all!!!

George Sanders
07-28-2008, 8:05 AM
You could look at c-list under the free section for firewood. I live in central Illinois and there are always ads for wood. Free if you cut or just pick it up.
I haven't been woodworking. All my efforts at the moment are concentrated on putting an engine in my old Dodge 4x4. The heat has been unbearable. I'm over the hump though as I got the engine aligned and bolted up to the tranny yesterday. When I'm done I'll be able to drive down a hedgerow in the winter and cut some free firewood.

Matt Meiser
07-28-2008, 8:38 AM
Overnight Friday night I flew home from Southern California where I spent the week with a couple co-workers in a training class. I got home at 5AM so I wasn't in much condition to do much on Saturday. I flew through Phoenix and when we landed there after dark it was still 104 degrees. Glad I don't live there. Saturday I picked up an old Delta drill press which barely needs restoration but I'll probably do one eventually. And of course also took a few naps. Sunday we weeded the garden, which is pretty much a waste since it flooded a few weeks ago and pretty much ruined everything. I also installed a Tornado Tank Flusher (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/tornado-permanent-tank-rinser-with-remote-connection/28091) in our camper which is supposed to make cleaning out the black water tank a little easier. Thought I'd do it while the tank was unused so that the gross factor wasn't there.

Craig McCormick
07-28-2008, 9:37 AM
Matt,

I live in Phoenix and thought it was nice and cool this weekend! he he.

Worked on the yard and garden on Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon I started polishing the concrete hearth top I have been building for the fireplace. On Sunday we applied the sealer to the top and installed it. I still need to grout the center seam and edges. The hearth top is a practice project as I get ready to try my hand at concrete kitchen counters.
Heres a few pics.
http://www.azcraig.us/images/f1.jpg

http://www.azcraig.us/images/f2.jpg

Rod Torgeson
07-28-2008, 9:43 AM
Put together about 300 feet of PVC for a water line for my garden and lawn. This meant hooking up three in ground water hydrants. Today I will hook it up to the live water line and hope I don't have any leaks. Did the trenching for this last weekend. Some places I ran into some serious rock and other places it went pretty good. Only had to go around one rock that was too big to get out. Will be glad when this is finished and I can go camping.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Steve Clardy
07-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Didn't do any shop work that related to making money this weekend.

Serviced my aging, high mileage 95 F-150 work truck.

Trimmed out some windows in the upstairs of the house. [Son has been sheet rocking up there :)]

Did some brush hogging on our pastures. Haven't mowed them for 2 years and the small oaks are trying to take over.
Picked some more black berries. Up to about 7 gallon in the freezer now.
Also keeping an eye on our wild plumb trees. They have some kind of rot on them this year. Plums are rotting on the bottom before they ripen. :(:confused:

Other than that, nothing much

Tyler Howell
07-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Spent a lot of time on the gun range and driving range road testing arms and cars. Came home with a lot of ideas and a few keepers.
Stopped bye Al W's place for a little expert opinion on the former.

A lot of family and friend time as I was in the cities for a big fish fry, a little boating and good conversation.:D

Back in the hood I have to get back to business. Have several visitors and projects coming up this week.

Have a safe one.

Adam Cavaliere
07-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I decided to try making my own tenon cutting jig. I got the plans out of ShopNotes.

Here is what I accomplished:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=93355&d=1217207886

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=93356&d=1217207886

Joe Jensen
07-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Good weekend for me. I accepted my first pay job since college 24 years ago. I am doing a simple built in cabinet, 7.5 ft wide and 3 ft tall with 4 doors across the front.

Picked up the materials Fri morning.

Sat milled all the parts, rail and styles done, face frame components done, panels glued up and raised.

Sun, short day, but sanded the parts, stained the edges of the raised panels, glued up the doors and glued up the face frame.

Pretty fun to work and "be on the clock".

Dewey Torres
07-28-2008, 2:19 PM
I moved 6 tons of Breeze and 2 tons of rock, various bags of mulch , edging, landscape fabric, dug up a tree... bla bla bla:

Here are the pics:

1st is before, rest are after.

John Viola
07-28-2008, 4:46 PM
I picked up a new table saw this weekend. I just turned 40 and I figured I was due for a decent one. I sold my Jet contractor's saw and got a Steel City "hybrid". Didn't want to re-wire the shop for 220 and I don't see that much thick hardwood, so that won out.

Might be a month before it actually cuts anything, but at least it's in the shop.

Michael Schumacher
07-28-2008, 11:11 PM
I rode my bike (pedal kind) and did 25 miles, but did manage to get the bike going 41.9 mph (downhill with some hard pedaling). After that, I came home and ate lunch with the wife will the little one took his long afternoon nap. After that we went down to Tecumseh, NE to watch some remote control jets fly. I decided to pull the trailer home that houses my two jets and get the trailer ready to sell. Sunday we went to church - washed the trailer and took care of my son after his afternoon nap. No wood working this weekend, but several thing got accomplished.

Nancy Laird
07-28-2008, 11:37 PM
I picked up a new table saw this weekend. I just turned 40 and I figured I was due for a decent one. I sold my Jet contractor's saw and got a Steel City "hybrid". Didn't want to re-wire the shop for 220 and I don't see that much thick hardwood, so that won out.

Congratulations, John, on your new Steel City saw. After you've used it a couple of times, let us know how you like it. I think you will!

John Viola
07-29-2008, 5:46 AM
Congratulations, John, on your new Steel City saw. After you've used it a couple of times, let us know how you like it. I think you will!

Thanks! Shop time is really limited these days (I have 3 small kids AND I am redoing our deck) so it's not even fully assembled yet, but here's hoping!!

Mike Wilkins
07-29-2008, 9:09 AM
Dug 4 holes in the ground, by hand, in 95 deg heat. I'm whooped.
Getting ready for a covered patio, and I like having the support posts inside some concrete in the ground. But this Eastern North Carolina clay is some tough stuff.
As for woodworking, I did plane some more Walnut for a side table project I have started. Mortised the legs last week, doing the side aprons this week.
And to top it off, we moved the #2 daughter out of her apartment after finishing summer school at UNC. From the 3rd floor. My knees will be happy when she finishes.