PDA

View Full Version : Which trimming plane?

Dave Cav
07-28-2008, 12:16 AM
I have plenty of bench planes, but no rabbet, shoulder or edge trimming planes. Lee Valley makes an edge trimming plane that is a copy of the old Stanley 95, and Lie Nielson makes a copy of the 98/99. I was cutting some M&T joints the other day, and realized that one of these planes or a shoulder plane would have come in handy for trimming the shoulders. It looks like any of them would have worked; If you were going to get one for general work, which one(s) would you get first?

Thanks

Dave

Johnny Kleso
07-28-2008, 12:34 AM
For Rabbits in the past most every woodworker had a Stanley 78 rabbit plane in their box..

Cabinetmakers had shoulder planes..

I bet very few had a #95, if anything.. They had #386 jointer fence for there #5 or #6

I just dont see it as a must have tool...

I would say buy a shoulder plane..

Derek Cohen
07-28-2008, 1:39 AM
Hi Dave

Neither the #98/99 nor #95 is suitable for planning tenon shoulders.

By definition, a shoulder plane tunes shoulders. Or use a chisel.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dave Cav
07-28-2008, 1:58 AM
By definition, a shoulder plane tunes shoulders. Or use a chisel.

Regards from Perth

Derek[/quote]

I've been using a chisel (actually a couple of chisels) quite a bit lately for trimming both tennons and sliding dovetails. I was thinking a shoulder plane would probably work better, and then I saw the new repos of the 95 and 98/99, and wondered if they would work, too. I think I'll be getting a medium shoulder plane next; possibly the Veritas model.

Thanks for the input.

Dave