PDA

View Full Version : Bear by my home. Pics

Ben Rafael
07-27-2008, 8:56 PM
Driving back to my house I found this bear making his way through my neighborhood. He is young, showed absolutely no fear of me in my truck and was destroying a bird feeder to get at the bird seed.
I was about 10 to 15 feet away when I took the pics, unfortunately these were taken with my camera phone.
He has been around here a lot lately, I hope I never run into him when walking my dog, it's not a fight that I could win.

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n409/brafael/IMG_0106-1-1.jpg
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n409/brafael/IMG_0107.jpg

Rafael Carias
07-27-2008, 9:35 PM
That is quite an event. If he keeps coming back you got a problem (child). What city do you live in?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-27-2008, 9:35 PM
Ben,

Depending on the type of dog you have, the bear might actually run when your dog barks.

We have had cougars, elk, deer, moose and even bears here where we live. Just last week a cow moose was in the next block and eventually wandered out of town overnight. The Fish and Game department were going to dart it and move it the next morning.

Ben Rafael
07-27-2008, 10:04 PM
I live in both Los Angeles and Lake Arrowhead, the bear was in Lake Arrowhead. He passes through my area to go to the town to rummage through the garbage cans that some of the local businesses dont have the sense to keep locked up.

I dont think this bear would be scared by any dog. With all the coyotes around here he is probably used to dogs.

Andrew Derhammer
07-27-2008, 10:55 PM
It's just a black bear. They're trouble makers but not really aggressive unless you are between a mother and her cubs. I've had to deal with them in scout camps before.

Matt Ellis
07-28-2008, 2:46 PM
405 grains of reminton copper jacketed, soft pointed lead over 37 grains of h4198 out of my 45-70 gov't can solve that problem for you! of course since, you live in CA, i'd probably be hauled away by some hippies for ursicide.

-matt

Ben Rafael
07-28-2008, 2:51 PM
Save your ammo for the cougars that roam around here. The bears have never hurt anyone, the cougars I could live without.
A coyote attacked a child a month ago, the coyote was caught and killed. I dont think that a coyote would attack a grown person though.

Lon LeBlanc
09-01-2008, 9:00 AM
Ben,

I'm in Lake Arrowhead also...over on Grass Valley Road. We were burned out in the Oct '07 fire (Marin Lane). It seems there has been more wildlife activity since the fire...maybe a shortage of food. We saw plenty of wildlife when on Marin, since we were backed up almost to the edge of the Nat'l forest.

Lon

Fred Voorhees
09-01-2008, 9:50 AM
Can't recall how long ago it was that we had a black bear walk straight across our patio her in central NJ. But it happened and it sure was a shock to myself and our son as we were watching tv just on the other side of the patio doors! Sure wish that I had the sense to grab a camera than (for some reason) to think to call 911 and report it. The local high school is a few miles away and I remember that at that same time, they were having a problem with a family of bear on the grounds and it kept the sports teams from practicing on their fields due to the fact.

Ben Rafael
09-01-2008, 8:05 PM
Lon,
I used to be on the north shore for about 10 years, near the ucla center. Never saw a bear there, but found cougar tracks in the snow every so often.
I'm now in the area south of the village by the old scout camp, according to my neighbor bears come through here often. Maybe the bears wouldn't come here if people didn't put out birdseed. The larger pic is of the bear eating birdseed, he spent about 4 or 5 minutes eating birdseed.
I dont know why people dont understand that bears eat food and will return to places that have food easily available.

Lon LeBlanc
09-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Ben,

We're up at Matterhorn and GV Road. A little too residentially developed right here for anything much bigger than the chipmunks. Haven't even seen my raccoon critters since be forced out of Marin Lane. Lots and lots of coyotes, however, and a big yellow cat about two houses down that manages to survive and flourish. Must be smarter than the coyotes! :D

I'm just a woodworking hobbyist. Still working, so not as much time to make sawdust as I would like. One bright side to the fire was that all my tools burned, and I was able to replace most everything using insurance money, and also buy some machines that I didn't own before. Sometime this fall, or winter, I hope to start on a cedar-strip kayak and get it into Lake Arrowhead in '09.

Lon