PDA

View Full Version : Worth picking up a smaller 12V or 14V drill?

Michael Donahue
07-27-2008, 6:40 PM
I've got an 18V Ryobi drill and impact driver and I've been very happy with them, but I think that sometimes an additional drill would come in handy. You always see Norm using a smaller drill (12V maybe) when he's assembling cabinets and what not, so that made me wonder if it's worth picking up a smaller drill. There's a Porter Cable 14V and Dewalt 12V (each with 2 batteries and charger) for sale locally for about $20 each and that price is very tempting!

I was wondering if you guys have been in a similar situation and felt the need for and additional small drill, or if they end up not being as handy as you'd hope. As far as brands too, I figure you can't really go wrong with these.

Thanks for the input!

skip coyne
07-27-2008, 7:24 PM
take a look at the Ryobi 12v lithium , I picked one up to use as a screw gun and have been very happy with it

Very compact and light weight , variable speed , lots of torque for driving screws . The Lion batteries are great .

its become a "favorite , daily user " tool for me

http://www.ebuild.com/articles/637019.hwx

http://www.newsday.com/ny-0jwyrxas20080305092043,0,3279727.photo

Charles P. Wright
07-27-2008, 7:30 PM
I would wait until you can get a second 18V Ryobi kit (drill, battery, charger) on sale. That way you have interchangeable batteries. I got one for $40 at Christmas and another for $30 around fathers day.

Mike Cutler
07-27-2008, 7:31 PM
Michael

I have had the same Dewalt 12v cordless for over 12 years( Model DW972). It's a great drill. It will torque a screw though 3/4" subflooring quite easily. Problem is that the batteries are fairly expensive, even to have rebuilt.
If that is a 12v Dewalt, with good batteries, it's a steal for $20.00. Replacement batteries for it were ~ $60.00 each retail last I looked.
I also have a Dewalt Model 980, 12v cordless. It's a nice drill also, but the DW972 is the better of the two.

Don't know anything about the Porter Cable though.

Steve Clardy
07-27-2008, 7:39 PM
18v's and such is usually overkill for inside shop work.

Outside, for decks and such, yes they are fine.

Inside I use 10.8 and 14.4 bosch drills

The reason I went with 14.4 instead of 12v on my lager drills, the drills are the same footprint, and just a few bucks more for the added power

Dave Sweeney
07-27-2008, 7:42 PM
I've never seen the need to have a big clumsy heavy 18V or larger cordless drill. I got by for years with a 9.6V DeWalt and only replaced it with a 14.4V because I got a great deal on one. It's one thing if you used one all day long and needed the run time but for shop use those big guys are just overkill.

Chris Kennedy
07-27-2008, 8:04 PM
A second drill never goes astray. My family owns two cordless drills and a corded drill. Our logic was simple -- we needed his and hers drills for a lot of the work around the house. Beyond woodworking, we have found it convenient to have two drills around the house. With two drills available, I have found it convenient in the shop.

Cheers,

Chris

Jim Becker
07-27-2008, 8:23 PM
I own a 14.4v Dewalt and a 12v Festool. The latter gets most of my use...powerful, but with a nice size and weight for the job. The 18v units are very nice, but probably better suited to construction duty for both the power and added weight.

I think you'll find that once you aquire a nice 12 or 14.4 (or 15v if you do the Panasonic or Festool), you'll use it much more than the larger, heavier tool.

glenn bradley
07-27-2008, 8:25 PM
I have 3 cordless and 2 corded. I could do without 1 of each but that would be minimum comfort for me.

Peter Quadarella
07-27-2008, 11:51 PM
I have my eye on the 10.8v Bosch drill/driver. I'm just thinking it would be nice to use something a little smaller and lighter.

Matt Meiser
07-28-2008, 8:43 AM
I have a 12V Porter Cable and a 14.4v Ryobi. I like the balance of both other than the chuck on the Ryobi which I can never seem to get tight enough. I had the batteries for both rebuilt by Battery Rebuilders and since then the Ryboi is comparable to the PC other than that chuck.

Eric DeSilva
07-28-2008, 10:23 AM
I have my eye on the 10.8v Bosch drill/driver. I'm just thinking it would be nice to use something a little smaller and lighter.

+1

The little bosch is truly a handy little guy. I've got a corded drill, three full size drills or drivers, and three of the little boschs. I think I reach for the little bosch guys more than anything.

Why three? I had the little driver and had been lusting for the little impact driver. Then, a deal popped up--might still be around--buy one get another driver for free. Couldn't pass that up... Besides, since I never clean up, there is always one within arms reach.

Jack Clark
07-28-2008, 10:38 AM
The new Makita 10.8 volt kit might be worth waiting for (end of August, I believe). Press release here:

http://www.makita.com/co_news_pr_detail.php?id=MAKPR0714135

And then there's the Ridgid R82007, which looks like one of the new generation 10.8 volt compact drivers, but has a regular chuck like a drill.

Curt Harms
07-28-2008, 10:48 AM

I have the PS40 impactor & PS20 drill/driver. Keep a instybit drill/countersink in one, driver bit in the other. Harbor Freight makes a hex shank bit set 1/16"-1/4". It'd be nice if the PS20 turned faster, I think it turns around 400 RPM which is slow for small twist drills but It does work:).

Curt

Peter Quadarella
07-28-2008, 11:41 AM
I thought about the PS40, but figured it was a little heavier and had the downside of the noise, plus it costs more, so I'm leaning toward the PS20. For those who have both, which do you find you use more?

Peter Quadarella
07-28-2008, 11:45 AM
You know what, Makita's combo kit with both is only going to cost $178 - that might be worth the wait.

Steve Clardy
07-28-2008, 11:46 AM
I have 3 of the PS20's, 1 of the PS10's.

Haven't seen any need for an impactor yet

Jon Grider
07-28-2008, 7:00 PM
I rarely use cordless drills, but for 20 bucks,it sounds like a great deal.Pick one up for me too!

Johnny Kleso
07-28-2008, 8:00 PM
I have gone from corded to battery and back to corded..

If you really dont need a cordless why send all the extra only on a cordless model??
If you do spend the money for a cordless, 2 years latter you need to spend another $100 on new batteries..

I sold off most of my DeWalt cordless tools and replaced them with Milwaukee corded tools..

I had to spend a 1/2 hour charging tools before I used them and then after a year the batteries would not hold a charge long and if it was something like a sawzall it would never have then juice to complete a job..

I also have gone back to Yankee screwdrivers and braces with hexbit holders and fine they have 10x the control of a drill/driver and they never need to be plugged in or have batteries changed :)

Bert Johansen
07-28-2008, 11:57 PM
If you haven't had the pleasure of using a Lithium-Ion drill, you ain't living right. These things are wonderful, and the batteries will last about 3 times longer than the Ni-MH types. I have used the Bosch PS-20 for about a year, along with a Makita 14-Volt cordless. The Makita batteries don't hold a charge anymore, so today I purchased the new Ryobi 12 volt Li-ion. I also have a rarely used corded 1/2" monster for the tough jobs, and a Makita impact driver for lag bolts and the like. But 95% of the time I reach for the PS-20 drill.

Matthew Hills
07-29-2008, 12:49 AM
There's a Porter Cable 14V and Dewalt 12V (each with 2 batteries and charger) for sale locally for about $20 each and that price is very tempting!

Is that new or used?
New, it's a bargain.
Used.... I'd only jump if my current drill was giving up the ghost. With cordless tools, much of the cost is in the batteries.

I'm using a 12V makita I got on clearance a little while back. Really like its size and build quality. (I was looking for a drill like that to supplement my other drills I had--an 18V craftsman that was given to me used and also a corded ryobi)

PS--that coming makita pair looks really nice. The Bosch pocket drivers look good, but it seemed weird to have both of them being more of driver designs than drills...

Matt

Jerome Hanby
07-29-2008, 9:02 AM
I'm generally underwhelmed with Black and Deckers offerings, but once in a while...

I got this for Christmas form my folks: Black-Decker-SC1400 (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-SC1400-Lithium-Ion-Technology/dp/B000HI101S) . It runs forever, has plenty of power, and is easy on the hand/arm. Wouldn't be my choice as my only cordless drill, but it's nice for quick jobs around the house or to avoid swapping bits back and forth.

Peter Quadarella
07-29-2008, 9:15 AM
I had to spend a 1/2 hour charging tools before I used them and then after a year the batteries would not hold a charge long and if it was something like a sawzall it would never have then juice to complete a job..

I used to feel the same way about cordless tools, but I think things have changed. The key is dedicating space to them. I have all the 18v Bosch tools, 2 chargers and 3 batteries. 2 of these batteries I've had for 5 years, the other for 2. I keep 2 in chargers at all times and the other in a tool. All 3 still work great. I have a dedicated charging station, which also holds my 14v Makita battery, and assorted other household charging things.
I would find it very hard to lose the convenience of picking up a tool and walking over to wherever I have to use it, and just using it. I have a corded drill which I bought used, and I use it for pocket holes because its lighter, but other than that I'm very happy with all my cordless stuff. I use the reciprocating saw to cut brush around the house and assorted other tasks, and I even have a cordless miter saw which is pretty decent.

Honestly though, I'd love to pick up some braces, eggbeaters and yankee screwdrivers, and they are on my list ;).