PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #93

Jerry Thompson
07-27-2008, 4:48 PM
Some time back I purchased a Stanley # 93. I hate to get it out to use as I have one devil of a time figuring out how to adjust it. I seems when I do get it working I have no idea how I did it. I stow it away carefully and when I try to use it again it is the same old story.
I "unadjusts" while in the box. I am sick of it. Do LV or LN shoulder planes adjust any easier? It should be fully understood that I am for the most part a mechanical idiot. If any of the above mentioned planes are easy to adjust I would get one. The spouse will be gone for a few days and I think I can sneek one into the ranks of the other things she does not understand.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif
Thank you.

Joel Goodman
07-27-2008, 5:15 PM
I have the LV med shoulder plane -- it's "user friendly" -- not finicky. I haven't tried the LN but I'm sure it's good too as I have a few of their other planes.

Mike Henderson
07-27-2008, 5:28 PM
I had a 93 and sold it. Bought the LV medium shoulder plane. Much better plane.

Mike

Brent Smith
07-27-2008, 9:14 PM
Hi Jerry,

One of the nice things about Lee Valley shoulder planes is the set screws. Using them you can keep your blades side to side adjustments within fairly tight tolerances while playing with the depth adjustment.