PDA

View Full Version : Garage Doors and Openers

Chris Padilla
04-26-2004, 4:48 PM
http://www.wayne-dalton.com/DirectDrive.asp

Anyone have experience with the Wayne-Dalton wall mounted GDO?

I am about sick of banging wood into my Craftsman and I hate the solid (non-sectional) GD I have right now. I am looking into a new sectional door and this little i-drive system looks perfect! :)

Rob Littleton came over for a visit and told me about this system.

Thanks!

Michael Perata
04-26-2004, 8:13 PM
Chris

I've always used Clopay Doors. I think the "idrive" is not manufacturer dependent.

Try Aaron Overhead Doors, always gave me good service on my new homes.

Chris Padilla
04-26-2004, 9:09 PM
Thanks for the reply, Michael. You are correct...the i-drive is universal. Thanks for the referral...I will definately give them a holler.

Bruce Page
04-26-2004, 9:27 PM
Chris,

I had two of the 9600’s installed last year, one with the i-drive opener. So far, I’ve been pretty pleased with the whole setup. The doors have R-10 insulation, and that has made a big difference keeping the garage warmer/cooler depending on the season. I replaced an old craftsman chain drive with the i-drive and it has really opened up the shop. It is so nice not to have that greasy bar/chain overhead. A neat feature of the opener is the “critter” mode that opens the door only 5 or 6 inches. It works great to get some fresh air through the shop. ;)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Chris Padilla
04-27-2004, 9:55 AM
Excellent! Thanks a lot, Bruce, for the pics. We like pics! :D

What's the i-drive cost?

Jason Emery
12-23-2004, 9:29 PM
I am considering the purchase of an idrive unit and I have been searching the net for reviews. After a bit of research it appears there are some mixed emotions ranging from problems with the wireless system to difficult installations and unreliable customer service. Are you happy with the system now that you have had the opportunity to use it for a few months?

Regards,

Jason

Jerry Clark
12-23-2004, 9:49 PM
My daughter has the Dalton I-Drive as pictured and really like it-- It is super quiet and works great. All the houses in the tract have the same unit. (because regular garage door units will not fit) Lowes carry them.

Bruce Page
12-23-2004, 9:53 PM
Jerry, The i-drive has worked as advertised and hasn't needed any adjustments. It has been really nice not having the old greasy chain drive overhead.

I would buy it again.

Bob Worrel Jr.
12-24-2004, 8:01 AM
Chris...I used Wayne Dalton GD's and Openers on my 3 garage/shop openings. The doors went together very easy. The openers work very smooth and quieter then most. I like the compact design and where they mount. No units hanging from the ceiling. Very nice.

As for cost. I chose the 9' wide doors with windows. They were $318 each.
The openers were $232 each. The doors are competitively priced, but the openers were a little high. But, I thought it was more convienent to have the opener over the door, so I went for them and gld I did. Here's a thread with a shot of the doors from outside.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13445

Tom LaRussa
12-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Anyone have experience with the Wayne-Dalton wall mounted GDO?

I am about sick of banging wood into my Craftsman and I hate the solid (non-sectional) GD I have right now. I am looking into a new sectional door and this little i-drive system looks perfect! :)
Chris,

Since you're never going to park a car in there again, why not just put up a couple of those barn-type sliders? :eek: :p ;)

Chris Padilla
12-27-2004, 2:28 PM
My WD I-drive has been purrrr-fect! I love this thing and I'm never going back to an overhead GDO again.

I've had mine since mid-May and I've had nothing but excellent service from it. The range is a little finicky some times but overall, it has done well and I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

John P. Smith
02-15-2005, 12:51 AM
I need a couple of garage door openers soon and am considering the Wayne-Dalton idrive.

Chris, Bruce and Bob; are you still happy with your openers? And Chris, what do you mean by "The range is a little finicky some times"?

Anyone else have any experience with this opener?

I read of a lot of bad experiences on a homeowners/DIY forum and that got me concerned.

And, BTW, thanks guys, for all the good info I get from SMC!

John

Dan Mages
02-15-2005, 9:18 AM
Chris. Have you thought about building your own doors? I know home depot offers all of the hardware that is needed and I am sure good quality hardware can be ordered from dealers.

Dan

Chris Padilla
02-15-2005, 1:20 PM
I need a couple of garage door openers soon and am considering the Wayne-Dalton idrive.

Chris, Bruce and Bob; are you still happy with your openers? And Chris, what do you mean by "The range is a little finicky some times"?

Anyone else have any experience with this opener?

I read of a lot of bad experiences on a homeowners/DIY forum and that got me concerned.

And, BTW, thanks guys, for all the good info I get from SMC!

JohnJohn,

So far so good for moi. By finicky, I mean that some times I can be standing right in front of the door pushing the remote and it won't open. Other times I am 2-300 yards away and it will open just fine for me. Now the former doesn't happen often so I'm wondering if there is some interference happening that isn't obvious to me. Maybe the neighbor running something? I dunno but for the most part, the range on the remote and programmed into my car's universal GDO works fine.

What are you reading on other forums...I'm curious. I love this GDO and I especially enjoy showing it off to folks who come by the house.

Bruce Page
02-15-2005, 10:00 PM
John, I’m still very happy with the WD doors & the idrive opener. I love not having the greasy chain mess overhead. I can’t comment on the remote because I don’t use it – wheel diameters larger than 4” are not allowed in my garage. :rolleyes:

John P. Smith
02-16-2005, 10:47 PM
John,

What are you reading on other forums...I'm curious. I love this GDO and I especially enjoy showing it off to folks who come by the house.
Chris, try this link for other info http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/repair/msg012317346904.html

Are you just "showing" people the opener or are you showing them how it works? Not that I want you to wear it out, but if you have been cycling it just for show and tell that means it has gotten more use than normal... and it still works, so that is a good thing.

After having read the good, the bad and the ugly I am leaning toward the iDrive. It seems to me that some of the posters (on other forums) who were complaining weren't even sure why their iDrive wasan't working.

And Bruce, I have a hand truck with 8" wheels... if I came over with it to help you move something in your shop... you wouldn't let me in??? :confused: :p

Bruce Page
02-16-2005, 11:35 PM
And Bruce, I have a hand truck with 8" wheels... if I came over with it to help you move something in your shop... you wouldn't let me in??? :confused: :p
John, I have to air up the 12” wheelbarrow tire whenever I use it, so 8” dolly wheels aren’t a problem! Come on over! :D