PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Observations at Durango B&B

Pat Germain
07-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Last week my wife and I spent four nights at a Bed and Breakfast in Durango, Colorado. The inn was built as a B&B and wasn't very old, but it had some very nice woodworking.

I found the room doors especially interesting. They were "two sided". There were five rooms on the second floor. Each room door was alder on the outside and a unique wood on the inside. My room door was Mahogany on the inside. I had never seen a door like this, but I expect more experienced woodworkers are familiar with the concept. Here's a pic:

Pat Germain
07-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Here's a view of the outside of the doors and one on the inside.

Also, check out the breakfast tables! They were custom built and could easily serve as workbenches. I lifted one end of a table, at the encouragement of the owner, and found them to be extremely heavy as well as heavy duty.

Pat Germain
07-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Here's a shot of an antique bench in the entry area. I have no idea what this kind of design this is, but I found it interesting.

Also, here's a cool cutting board, in the shape of an apple. This was a gift from a guest. Was this made by anyone on SMC? :)

The apple shape is appropriate because the name of this B&B is "The Apple Orchard Inn". It sits on the property of an old apple orchard and many apple trees still remain.

BTW, for anyone looking for a mountain retreat in Colorado, I highly recommend The Apple Orchard Inn. It's a beautiful, roomy inn which also has six individual cottages at the rear of the house. The views are spectacular, the owners are great people and the food is simply amazing.

Randy Davidson
07-27-2008, 5:43 PM
LOML and I love Durango and Silverton to the north.

Mike Shields
07-27-2008, 8:02 PM
Great pictures.

Kinda funny, as it would seem you were there to sightsee woodworking instead of the beautiful SW Colorado area!!

Mike in Brighton

Lee Koepke
07-27-2008, 8:13 PM
Sounds like you do the same thing as me when staying at B&Bs :D:D

We stayed at Churchtown Inn in Pennsylvania last summer, the cottage was mid 1700s and I think I took more pictures of the doors/trim and misc woodworking than the scenery !!!

Pat Germain
07-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Indeed, my wife found it pretty strange that I was lifting the tables and photographing the door edge.

Although, I did also enjoy the local scenery. I rode the Durango and Silverton; both ways. I'd be glad to post some pics of the mountain scenery in the Off Topic area if anyone wants to see them.

Scott Vigder
07-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Head back down there in February for some great skiing at Purgatory.

Frank Drew
07-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks for posting your pictures, Pat. I love whenever there's an opportunity for custom woodworking.