PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox Cabinet Saw Is Here!

scott spencer
07-27-2008, 9:34 AM
Here's what I've been up to since yesterday...My trusty 22124 has found a new home and my Shop Fox W1677 has arrived. I'll miss the 22124 but the 35% off the SF with free s/h was more than I could take! My saw has gained some weight but my hand plane collection is a bit lighter now....had to peddle some of those to fund this thing! The driver showed up on time and loaded this in the garage for me...he was a wwer too and was pretty interested in the saw. He wouldn't take a $10 tip, said his saw blade rack was well stocked, but he didn't own any chisels so he accept a nearly new box of chisels. There were at least two happy people in the world at that moment...me with my new saw and him with a nice looking box of chisels!

Just about everything is super heavy duty...handwheels, lock knobs, switch, trunnions, miter gauge, motor...even the motor cover is heavy steel. I miss the Biesemeyer fence already though, but the SF Classic will be fine. The ivory color is nice.

I removed the cosmoline with engine degreaser and it worked like a charm. I Needed the saw to cut the platform on the mobile base, so it's running but far from trimmed out. Still need to hook up the switch, level the wings, hook up DC, align it, bring it with the level of the workbench, and have much more work to finish install the router table and a new outfeed.

I added the Wixey digital read out that fellow Creeker Tom Pritchard gave as a BD gift in March. I opted to only use half the rail which gives 30" digital capability...the full two section 60" would have alot more overhang and my fence only goes to 36", so I'll have read the old fashion way for over 30". ...it's great having a generous friend who's also a wwer!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/100_0252.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/100_0254.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/100_0253.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/100_0255.jpg

Cody Colston
07-27-2008, 9:51 AM
Congratulations, Scott. That saw should really serve you well and for 35% off, you got a smokin' deal.

That Wixey digital gauge looks neat, too. I've been thinking about one myself. How about you let us know how you like it after a bit of use?

Pat Germain
07-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Wow, great saw, Scott; and what a deal! I've taken many a serious look at Shop Fox and Grizzly cabinet saws. Do keep us posted as you get your machine set up and operating.

Don Bullock
07-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Scott, congratulations on the new addition to your shop.

John Thompson
07-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Love the new saw, Scott. Now... go test some blades.... would ya? :D

Regards...

Sarge..

Bruce Page
07-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Congratulations Scott. As I said before, you're going to love the extra horses!

Jacob Mac
07-27-2008, 11:24 AM
That is a beauty. Congrats on the saw.

Bruce Page
07-27-2008, 11:33 AM
BTW, you might want to confirm with Bill Wixey on this, but I shortened the bar on a 6” Wixey when I mounted one to my old 18-36 drum sander. Cutting the bar had no effect on the readout.

Seth Poorman
07-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Congrats Scott
I do have to say that is a good looking saw....:cool:

Joe Mioux
07-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Scott, Congratulations on the new saw.

joe

scott spencer
07-27-2008, 12:30 PM
BTW, you might want to confirm with Bill Wixey on this, but I shortened the bar on a 6” Wixey when I mounted one to my old 18-36 drum sander. Cutting the bar had no effect on the readout.

Thanks Bruce - I'm thinking that by using only one 30" piece, I'll have a spare, but it's nice to know I could cut it if needed. I rarely make cuts over 30" and reading the tape measure every two years isn't going to ruin too many days! :D

Jim Broestler
07-27-2008, 3:39 PM
Yay! Another SF TS owner! I've had my 1711 (5 HP version of 1677) for about a year and a half, and it's always been a rock solid machine. Enjoy your new saw.

Rick Thom
07-27-2008, 7:04 PM
Well Scott, you've been a strong supporter of the Sears hybrid for quite a while. When you have put your new SF through it's paces, perhaps you would be so good as to do a comparison of the two saws.. strengths and weaknesses etc, which would be valuable to those considering hybrid vs cabinet models.
btw.. congats on the new saw!

Jim Becker
07-27-2008, 8:20 PM
Very nice upgrade, Scott!

Dewey Torres
07-28-2008, 2:24 AM
Way to go Scott!

Mike Sheppard
07-28-2008, 8:51 AM
Scott
I have had that saw for about 4 years with the long rails and the other fence :D:D:D:D predict you are going to love it.
Mike

Mike Goetzke
07-28-2008, 9:50 AM
Congrats on the new saw. I too had a 22124 for about a year then found a deal on a Unisaw. The biggest difference I noticed was the size of the trunnion assembly on the full size cabinet saw dwarfed the 22124's.

Question - just curious, where is the DC port on the new saw (left side)?

Good Luck,

Mike

scott spencer
07-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Congrats on the new saw. I too had a 22124 for about a year then found a deal on a Unisaw. The biggest difference I noticed was the size of the trunnion assembly on the full size cabinet saw dwarfed the 22124's.

Question - just curious, where is the DC port on the new saw (left side)?

Good Luck,

Mike

Yep, DC port is on the left side. I remember you having the saw and finding the Uni. I'm finding startups faster on the SF, and I expect I'll notice some power increase.

Scott
I have had that saw for about 4 years with the long rails and the other fence :D:D:D:D predict you are going to love it.
Mike

I'm betting you're right Mike! :D