PDA

View Full Version : Steton shaper

Devin Lamb
07-27-2008, 8:52 AM
Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker!

Does anyone have any experience or info about Steton shapers. I recently bought one at auction and am desperately trying to find info and sources for parts for it. The machine was made in Italy, and is of very high quality. The model is a T35, and appears to be nearly identical to a SCMI shaper. I have tried contacting the company but I'm not getting anywhere with that route. In particular I need to change the motor for my power supply, but the motor mount system is one of the oddest I've ever seen. The spindle is also different than any I've seen before, (although it is 1 1/4") and I want to make sure I'm using it safely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Devin

Jamie Buxton
07-27-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm guessing that it has a three-phase motor, and you're thinking of putting a single-phase motor in it. You'll likely find that it is less expensive, and much less hassle, to keep the existing motor, and use a VFD to convert your single-phase suppy to three-phase.

Frank Drew
07-27-2008, 4:15 PM
Another issue that concerns Devin might be that the existing motor is for 50 Hz vs. our 60 Hz.

Jamie Buxton
07-27-2008, 8:11 PM
Another issue that concerns Devin might be that the existing motor is for 50 Hz vs. our 60 Hz.

A VFD can fix that too.

Devin Lamb
07-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Actually the real problem is the voltage. In Canada we use 575V for industrial equipment, which is what this motor is.

After doing all the math on my options, the best way for me to make use of this shaper is to change the motor to 220v 3 phase (I have another machine I have to change the motor in as well) and buy a VFD. The VFD will serve both machines. It actually works out the same as buying 2 5hp single phase motors that run at 3450rpm.

The problem is the mounting system for the shaper. I'll try an post a picture later so you will understand. I would still like to find a dealer for Steton so I can get other parts, manual, ect.

Jeff Duncan
07-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Is this an older machine? If so it may be one of the many companies SCMI has bought out over the years. If this is the case I would try to download the manual for the SCMI version of the machine and see if it helps.
I have an EMA jointer, one of the companies now owned by SCMI, and could not get any response from them either.
Unfortunately they don't seem much interested in dealing with their acquired
brands equipment.

good luck,
JeffD

Ralph Barhorst
07-28-2008, 12:47 PM
You may have already been on this site.

http://www.steton.it/english/schede/t35.html

Devin Lamb
07-28-2008, 9:21 PM
Thanks Ralph, yeah I have been there and even sent them email looking for a North American dealer, but they don't seem interested in responding.

Devin Lamb
07-28-2008, 9:36 PM
Here are a couple of pics of the motor and mounting plate, and the motor specs: