PDA

View Full Version : Miter adjustment on Hitach C10FSH scm?

Dan Bowman
07-27-2008, 8:34 AM
The preset 45 is slightly off; one joint on a frame opens up just slightly on the inside. I can adjust with a paper shim, but would rather have a permanent fix. Does anyone know if there is a way to micro adjust the angle on this scm? It only needs a hair. Thanks

John Thompson
07-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Dan.. you should simply call Hitachi technical on Monday.. but........

Are you absolutely sure the 45* degree is "off" is your real problem? Now I will explain why I ask....

I had a Hitachi 10" SCMS for 4 years. Great saw and I use one with extentions to do all cross-cutting as my TS is dedicated for ripping. I did not ever need a 45* cut with that saw. I sold it and replaced with a 12" Hitachi SCMS as I work 4-10 hours a day in my shop and occasionally run into the fact I need 4" depth the 12" could give.

Not long after I got it I needed to do some trim moulding for a bathroom. I rarely cut miters anymore as my house it paid for and custom work had been done years ago. When I cut it... there was a gap. I cut using another piece and there was a gap. I checked the fence.. blade and table and it was dead-on 45*.

Must be the blade deflecting as all SCMS use thin keft. I had an excellent Freud on board. I purchased an Amana.. Same scenario. I have a friend who has owned a Saw Center for years. He sells blades and sharpens. He gave to two other brands to try. Both left gaps and I could not find a full keft to solve my problem as they don't appear to be made. A stabilizer won't fit on the arbor of any of the SCMS's.

This went on for weeks and my thinning gray hair got thinner. I called a couple of southern trim carpenters I know and explained the problem. I got the same answer from 3 and one offered to drop by and fix the problem for me. When he did the original Freud was on the saw.

He cut a perfect miter the first time and just laughed at me? Now how could he do that and I couldn't? Simple really.. he didn't allow the stock to what is affectionately called by southern trim carpenters as "Walking the Fence". I felt like a fool but he assured me that every new trim carpenter runs into this the majority of the time.

When cutting 90*.. it is a straight angle of attack. When cutting 45* or any angle.. the blade is angled and when it meets the stock it may cause the stock to slip slightly to one side. If you use the same speed plunge with your cut as you do on a 90* cut.. it is even more pronounced.

Fix in the case above:.. put some adhesive sand-paper on your fence and make sure you have a very tight grip. Slow the feed rate down to avoid a sudden impact of blade and stock. It was the cure for me.

Frankly.. since I don't have a deadline as a trim carpenter would... I clamp the stock on the few miters I cut (bases for chest and a few furniture moldings) with a Quik-Grip or two when you can use two. I slow the feed down to a crawl also and since I started doing that I have gotten perfect miters off the Hitachi.

So.. if you check your alignment and it is not off... try the above method to see if it might be the fix I looked for for several weeks. I found that it is better to let your cat walk the fence instead of my stock.. :)

Good luck...

Sarge..

Dan Bowman
07-27-2008, 5:07 PM
Thanks John, I'll give it a try. I had noticed a little creeping, and used the fence clamp to hold the stock down, but still got a very slight gap. The 90 preset is dead-on, and the 45 is darn close, so maybe a little sand paper will help.

John Thompson
07-27-2008, 5:43 PM
I would put a death grip on it with a Quik-Grip just to see if you get dead-on and if you do.. proceed with the sand-paper.

Good luck...

Sarge..