PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1442 VS Model - Speed Handle Question

Samuel Brooks
07-27-2008, 7:49 AM
I have had this model for about 2 years. I picked this to turn some columns that I need for a project that were 38" long. I really like the Lathe, it is smooth, quiet and has lots of power. But lately I have been turning a few pens and the Speed Handle just seems to get in the way when I crank up the speed past 1400 RPM's. It's right where I feel comfortable placing my left arm when doing the final few passes.

Has anyone modified the handle? :rolleyes: Shorten it? etc. I was thinking about replacing it with a shorter handle then making some type of removal cheater bar to slip over it when I wanted to change speeds. Flipping the handle to point the other way is not an option due to it's design.

Comments will be appreciated.

Sam

Nathan Camp
07-27-2008, 11:05 PM
I just cuss at mine.:rolleyes:

Actually, I did see an article about turning it upside down. I'll see if I can find it.

nathan

Bruce Pennell
07-28-2008, 8:34 AM
Sam can you unscrew the handle and heat it with a torch, put enough of a bend into it so its out of your way and still can be screwed back on? Or drill and tap a new hole in the controller?

Samuel Brooks
07-28-2008, 9:05 PM
I just cuss at mine.:rolleyes:

nathan

At least I feel a little better now. :D

Sam

Samuel Brooks
07-28-2008, 9:08 PM
Sam can you unscrew the handle and heat it with a torch, put enough of a bend into it so its out of your way and still can be screwed back on? Or drill and tap a new hole in the controller?

I do not have enough comfort to try and bend it. Plus I would have to bend it to 90 degrees to get it out of the way :(. I am thinking about having a friend make a new short handle that I can then put on / remove a handle from.

I am still trying to envision it though.

Sam

Curt Fuller
07-28-2008, 9:13 PM
My Oliver does the same thing. I guess I've just learned to turn at a slightly faster or slower speed when the handle is in the way. Seems like it would be a lot of trouble to remodel the cast iron control for the reeves drive.