PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Power

andy bova
07-27-2008, 7:35 AM
Hello , just found this site, was wanting to get a bandsaw to make some cedar, oak,and/or hickory slats for chair seats. Was looking at the HF 1hp or the griz 555 or 555x. and was wondering if any of the above had enough power for decent resawing. or do I need to go to a 2hp saw. The saw will be used for more than slats but I mentioned them because they will require the most power. Looks like I am limited to a log with a 6" dia on the above saws also w/o a riser. Thank you Andy.

Tony Bilello
07-27-2008, 8:52 AM
I dont know much about the Grizz, but I do know that you dont want HF.
My experiences with HF have generally not been good. Everything I have bought from them so far has fallen apart or just quit working. On the plus side, the local HF will swap it out without trouble.
If you do go the HF route, get the additional insurance.
I know some people that have had good luck with HF drill presses.

Tony B

Danny Thompson
07-27-2008, 10:21 AM
It depends whether you are in a hurry, and what your budget it. 3/4 hp will work, but very slowly. A 14", 1 1/2 hp (what I have) is plenty for a lot of serious hobbyists. Some argue that you need a 17" with more hp.

Also, make sure you check the resaw capacity of the saw compared to your needs.

Burt Alcantara
07-27-2008, 10:43 AM
I've had the Grizzly 0555 for about 3 years. I use it mostly to cut logs down to size. I have the riser and have cut logs up to 12". Recently, I began resawing 6" leopard wood. With a shop made fence, I have had no problems.

This saw can take a huge amount of abuse. All parts are easily fixed by the user.

Burt

andy bova
07-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks all for the quick replies,
Tony ,I know what you mean about HF, I have had OK luck with them with occasional use tools but do not think they would stand up to daily use.
Danny, budget wise I am cheap, but I will pay more to get the job done quicker and less strain means probably longer life for the tool.
Burt, I assume you have the 555 with the 1HP and you say it resaws OK. I see they have a 555x with 1 1/2 hp, just wondering if the extra 1/2 HP is worth $175. Thanks again all. Andy

Lance Norris
07-27-2008, 11:39 AM
I see they have a 555x with 1 1/2 hp, just wondering if the extra 1/2 HP is worth $175. Thanks again all. Andy

The $175 doesn't just get you a 1/2 horse extra, it also gets you the better fence with tall resaw face, cast iron wheels, work light, larger table, better base with storage shelves, quick tension release, and almost 65 pounds of weight which helps make it a smoother running saw. Spend the $175 extra and never look back. You'll be glad you did. A bandsaw is a very important tool and once you have one, you will wonder how you ever did without. Dont buy cheap. You'll thank me later.

andy bova
07-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks lance, I did a sideXside comp on them and see what you mean, they are about 2 1/2 hrs south of me in Springfield I should head that way!

Curt Harms
07-28-2008, 3:18 AM
Thanks lance, I did a sideXside comp on them and see what you mean, they are about 2 1/2 hrs south of me in Springfield I should head that way!

I haven't been in the PA. Grizzly store for a couple years but I'd characterize it as a woodworkers F.A.O. Schwartz (Ultimate toy store) Take the low limit credit card.:D

Curt

Steve Nouis
07-28-2008, 7:10 AM
The more power the better, mine is 3 HP and it could use more. If you want to improve cutting get a carbide blade, they cut like butter compared to steel and last forever, mines been on for over 5 years and still cuts great. Steve

Lance Norris
07-28-2008, 7:56 PM
The more power the better, mine is 3 HP and it could use more. If you want to improve cutting get a carbide blade, they cut like butter compared to steel and last forever, mines been on for over 5 years and still cuts great. Steve

Steve... not to start an argument, but how could you possibly need more than 3 hp on a bandsaw? I have cut 7" of Bloodwood in a resaw operation with 2 hp and it cut fine. I also have resawed 10" of Walnut with the same saw and again, the results were positive. Unless you are resawing at max capacity in a comercial shop where speed and durability are needed for maximum profit, a 1~1/2 hp bandsaw for a home shop(Im assuming Andy is in a home shop) should be good enough for most operations.

Curt Harms
07-28-2008, 8:57 PM
Steve... not to start an argument, but how could you possibly need more than 3 hp on a bandsaw? <snip> Unless you are resawing at max capacity in a comercial shop where speed and durability are needed for maximum profit, a 1~1/2 hp bandsaw for a home shop(Im assuming Andy is in a home shop) should be good enough for most operations.

I suspect that "but" is the reason. Most "hobby/small shop" saws run the blade at 2800-3000 feet per minute. I've seen "real saws" that run around 5000 feet per minute, which would be not quite twice the feet per minute as the "hobby/small shop". Probably need more horsepower to do that.