PDA

View Full Version : My shop

Wright Woodall
07-27-2008, 2:28 AM
I didn't build it, so there are a few things that aren't quite right, but I'm still glad to have it.

Here's the front with 1 of the 3 shop dogs. (Literally, they sleep in there.)

Part of my wood storage. Most of this is a bunch of prefinished (stained, etc) cherry trim that was left over from my last jobsite. My trim sub must not be very good with math...;) It's mostly in my way right now, but I still couldn't bear to throw it out. The thick stuff is some 6/4 poplar for my next project.

My Delta contractor's saw and another dog. (Yes, I have the guard for the saw, but I was ripping some small stuff earlier.) Parents got it for me about 8 years ago. Soon to be replaced by the Uni I'm picking up from Sarge next weekend!!!:D

Some racks picked up off another jobsite (seeing a trend here?) for more storage. Also used for clamp storage if you look close. And the brand new DW735 I decided to get after seeing several good reviews here on the creek.

The CMS and router hanging over the window. The Craftsman router is the one tool my dad had from his remodeling days that still worked. Older than I am and works great!

It's messy and crowded but I have plans for fixing all that. One day...

Later

Dewey Torres
07-27-2008, 2:58 AM
Between the lumber rack, the new Unisaw, the never ending job site acquisitions and the dogs, you are going to find your self looking for more room very soon.

Do you have 220v out there yet?

Anyway, it is better to use what you have and do your best than to accumulate tools and jigs with no projects to show for.

Just to give you a full tank of gas, your shop is far better than my first!

I would like to see pics of the new saw once you get it set up. I just bought a 1995 UNI and I wouldn't trade it for the world. If you need a pre-cursor to this saw, take a sharp razor knife and and cut a piece of cheese with it.:D

Bruce Page
07-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Wright, nice shop!
Good looking labs too.

Wright Woodall
07-27-2008, 11:38 PM
220v- I don't have the wire run yet, but that is something I can handle. I can do fairly simple electrical stuff.

My first priority right now is to get the crib built for the new baby boy. As soon as that is done, I will be adding lumber storage onto the back of my shop and building some sort of doghouse so that will open up a lot of room. I don't think my wife or the baby are willing to wait any longer for the crib though. I've got 6 weeks or so before he gets here, and probably 4-8 weeks after that before he really needs the crib.

John Thompson
07-28-2008, 12:37 AM
Not bad at all Wright. My first shop was smaller and you had to move the storage boxes outside when you worked. No matter what amount of space one has.. if you are determined they will find a way to make it work.

BTW... your new saw has been waxed down to the rails.. I took my short fence off the Biesemeyer and calibrated a new inch tape down as the short fence addition has to be calibrated to accomodate the extra 3/4" thickness on the front of fence. I removed the 6" dust port I use and replaced with the original 4".

Be sure to tell me if you only have a shop vac and I will give you a 4"-2 1/2" adapter. And I took about 5 minutes and made you a puch stick like I use. I will also give you a thin push shoe as I have a couple. We might find and extra can of wax and be sure I give you the owners manual for both the saw and Biesemeyer with the fence template that sets the height. That is important if we take the rails off.

And get with me on your utiliity trailer height and if you plan to strap it in up-right or if we need to dis-assemble the wings and lay it down. Plan on being here an hour if we break it down as I want to let you see the saw eat some stock for lunch and go over how to break-down.. etc. etc. If that is possible to fit in your time frame.

See ya....

Sarge..

Seth Poorman
07-28-2008, 12:42 AM
Welcome to the Creek Wright
Nice shop,Nice Chocolate Lab,and Im sure that Unisaw will be nice too...
We would like to see that Unisaw when you get it!!!!! We like lookin at tool pics!!!!!!! :D

Dewey Torres
07-28-2008, 2:03 AM
Not bad at all Wright. My first shop was smaller and you had to move the storage boxes outside when you worked. No matter what amount of space one has.. if you are determined they will find a way to make it work.

BTW... your new saw has been waxed down to the rails.. I took my short fence off the Biesemeyer and calibrated a new inch tape down as the short fence addition has to be calibrated to accomodate the extra 3/4" thickness on the front of fence. I removed the 6" dust port I use and replaced with the original 4".

Be sure to tell me if you only have a shop vac and I will give you a 4"-2 1/2" adapter. And I took about 5 minutes and made you a puch stick like I use. I will also give you a thin push shoe as I have a couple. We might find and extra can of wax and be sure I give you the owners manual for both the saw and Biesemeyer with the fence template that sets the height. That is important if we take the rails off.

And get with me on your utiliity trailer height and if you plan to strap it in up-right or if we need to dis-assemble the wings and lay it down. Plan on being here an hour if we break it down as I want to let you see the saw eat some stock for lunch and go over how to break-down.. etc. etc. If that is possible to fit in your time frame.

See ya....

Sarge..

WOW... now that's a sale!

Thanks for taking care Sarge!

Wright Woodall
07-28-2008, 9:42 AM
WOW... now that's a sale!

Thanks for taking care Sarge!

No kidding! I'm feeling better about this buy every day!

Sarge, my trailer is probably 18" off the ground at the rear, I'll bring some king of ramp, a friend to help, and a bunch of straps. You know the machine better than I do, but I think I can strap it down securely with it upright, and not have to strip it down. I'm thinking probably 8:30- 9:00am I can be over there. Let me know if there is a better time for you, I basically have all day. :D

Wright Woodall
07-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Fired up the new DW735 for the first time last night. I am VERY pleased so far. I ran some small stuff through to test it and it gave me a VERY NICE finish. I also ran through a section of a rough board that was one of those jobsite finds... the guy that brought it to me said he thought it was mahogany, but I didn't believe him. After running it through, it appears to be cherry! Its actual size about 2.25" by 4.25" by 7'. Nice to have since I have all that other cherry to go with it.

Anyway, another vote for the DW735.

BTW, I bought it on EBAY with the MS cashback deal. Paid $549 upfront plus $10 shipping, but it came with an extra set of blades and the infeed outfeed tables. With the cashback, $50 rebate, and extras, I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Wright

Mike Langford
07-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Nice shop and congrats on the new baby boy....what type of wood are you building his crib out of?

...Nice grab on the Unisaw from Sarge too!

Wright Woodall
07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Nice shop and congrats on the new baby boy....what type of wood are you building his crib out of?

...Nice grag on the Unisaw from Sarge too!

Thanks Mike, I'm building the crib out of poplar. See the design thread here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89250)

Wright Woodall
08-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Its appropriate that I would be taking "baby steps" as I try to clean up/organize my shop while building a crib. I started planing the 6/4 poplar down last night after making room for infeed/outfeed. May not look like a huge difference in the pic, but it is much easier to move around in. And the DW735 continues to impress.

Wright Woodall
08-08-2008, 11:00 AM
After running the 220v line and doing some more cleanup on Monday and Tuesday nights, i finally got the new-to-me Unisaw up and running on Wednesday night. It seems the ride from Atlanta to Opelika (via Barnesville and Culloden) may have made some unintentional adjustments to the saw. :eek: After re-reading some threads on tablesaw tuneup, I checked all of the critical measurements and got the table, fence, blade, etc all to my liking. I don't have any fancy dial indicators or machinist tools, but the proof was in the cut!:D

John Thompson
08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Trunnions OK I assume.. how badly did it go out of alignment on the ride. And.... assume from your post all is well as the machinist tools aren't necessary.

Regards...

Sarge..

Wright Woodall
08-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Trunnions OK I assume.. how badly did it go out of alignment on the ride. And.... assume from your post all is well as the machinist tools aren't necessary.

Regards...

Sarge..

As far as I can tell the trunnions are fine. I pulled the motor cover off and looked at everything pretty close with a flashlight. The thing that clued me in was that the miter slots weren't parallel to the blade, so I guess the top just shifted. Less than 1/16", so not major. Everything seemed to stay in alignment while I was cutting, but I plan to recheck everything again tonight.

Wright

John Thompson
08-08-2008, 12:32 PM
As far as I can tell the trunnions are fine. I pulled the motor cover off and looked at everything pretty close with a flashlight. The thing that clued me in was that the miter slots weren't parallel to the blade, so I guess the top just shifted. Less than 1/16", so not major. Everything seemed to stay in alignment while I was cutting, but I plan to recheck everything again tonight.

Wright

Got ya, Wright. It could very well have shifted considering we didn't dis-assemble and lift by using the top. But.... there is a possibility that they could have been slightly off as I rarely use a miter gauge as 95% of TS use for me is ripping. I never really checked throughly and should have mentioned that.

I thought I was through when we were going over but I "did not mention" that. Only to re-check when you got it in position for any mis-alignments that can happen in moving. And.. how did you check the miter to slot? The stock Delta miter gauge is not exact at 90* degrees and I did have to adjust for that but only slightly.

Good luck and keep that crib moving as the baby will not tolerate excuses from Dad... :D

Sarge..

Wright Woodall
08-08-2008, 1:08 PM
Got ya, Wright. It could very well have shifted considering we didn't dis-assemble and lift by using the top. But.... there is a possibility that they could have been slightly off as I rarely use a miter gauge as 95% of TS use for me is ripping. I never really checked throughly and should have mentioned that.

I thought I was through when we were going over but I "did not mention" that. Only to re-check when you got it in position for any mis-alignments that can happen in moving. And.. how did you check the miter to slot? The stock Delta miter gauge is not exact at 90* degrees and I did have to adjust for that but only slightly.

Good luck and keep that crib moving as the baby will not tolerate excuses from Dad... :D

Sarge..

I used my combo square as shown in the owner's manual with the "base" at the miter slot and the ruler section extended to hit a spot on the blade right next to a tooth. Then I turned the blade and checked it at the back. Very low tech, but as my form-carpenter-turned-cabinetmaker Uncle Carl says, "We're not building a piano!" ;)

John Thompson
08-08-2008, 2:47 PM
Uncle Carl and I must have crossed paths somewhere... I use the same method. :)

Go get em big guy....

Sarge