PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat and a question

Fred Childs
07-26-2008, 11:14 PM
After a couple of years of thinking about getting a lathe I finally bought one. Today I bought a used Jet 1236 for $250.00. It was only used once so it seems in good shape but it looks like I will have to buff out some surface rust on the bed. I don’t think it will be a big deal. Included in the purchase price was an 8 piece Crown turning set. This leads me to my question. The turning set was not stored properly. The tools have quite a bit of surface rust, especially where they were in contact with the felt lining of the case. Any ideas what the best way to recondition these would be? My first thoughts were steel wool or a green pad with WD40 followed by a paste wax. Is this the way to go?

Looking forward to turning that first piece!:D

Bob Hallowell
07-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Congrads that is a great deal seeing how that crown set of gouges are worth over $100 alone. the rust shouldn't hurt much as long as it is not on the cutting edge.

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
07-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Congrats on your new lathe Fred! Like Bob said - rust shouldn't be a problem as long as you can get a clean / sharp cutting edge. Looking forward to seeing photos of your turnings real soon!

Dennis Puskar
07-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Sure SW or green pad and Wd-40 should be just fine..
Great find, now enjoy.

Dennis

Doug Thompson
07-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Use a buffing wheel if you have one or the steel wool like was said before. They will be fine.

BTW - you got a great deal on the lathe and tools... everyone should be so lucky.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-27-2008, 12:49 AM
Nice buy!

Welcome to the Vortex! You are about to find out what "BROKE" is!:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
07-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Congrats on a great buy. If the rust is on the bed of the lathe use what was suggested above. Then take some car paste wax and put a light coat on the bed. Buff when it turns hazy. That will help keep the rust off. Looking forward to some turnings.

Ron Journeau
07-27-2008, 11:04 AM
a small brass brush and vinegar works great on abused,forgotten tools DAMHIKT

Fred Childs
07-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I moved it into place this morning and tried cleaning up a 10” section of the bed. It didn’t take too long before the rust was off and after waxing I had a nice smooth surface going. Hopefully tonight I can spend a few hours and get it all done. I’ll try and do some before and after photos.

robert hainstock
07-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Even better for rust removal is a product called "Break free" Try gun stores or google it for a source. A green pad Is a very good removal tool.

Larry Marley
07-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi Fred,
Welcome to a wonder forum.
loads of answers and support.

Larry